Apollo pictures taken from the TV screen

Old August 26th 03, 08:30 AM
Doug...

Default Apollo pictures taken from the TV screen

Hi, all! About a year ago, I mentioned that I had a bunch of pictures
that I took off the TV screen during Apollos 13-17, and that I had just
acquired a used scanner.

Well, I still have the scanner, and I FINALLY found the pictures in a box
in the garage. I'm glad to report they were NOT the victims of my
various moves over the years.

So, just tonight, I scanned them all. It runs to more than 150 pictures
-- obviously, a lot more of later flights than of the earlier ones. (For
Apollo 13, for example, I have one shot of launch, four or five shots of
the parachute descent and splashdown, and one image each of Lovell, Haise
and Swigert from the post-flight press conference. And one shot of the
jury-rigged LiOH canister that was shown during the press conference. By
the time we get to Apollo 17, I believe I took 55 pictures of that
flight.)

The Apollo 13 and 14 images are relatively poor -- they were taken from
an aging, round-picture-tube color TV. And, of course, the quality of
the surface camera on Apollo 14 was relatively poor. But the quality
increases greatly starting with Apollo 15 (taken from the family's new
square-tube color TV) and by the time I got to Apollos 16 and 17, I began
to develop an eye for what made a good shot. I'm really proud of a few
of them. (After all, I was 14 when Apollo 13 flew and 17 by the time
Apollo 17 flew, so I and my photogaphic abilities matured as the program
progressed.)

So... I know that rk offered some website space to put these up a year
ago. (The only website space I have available is the AOL Hometown crap,
which isn't set up to post more than three or four pics.) I'll ask again
if you, rk, or anyone else would be interested in putting these pics up
so I can share them with y'all. I scanned them at 200 dpi, so the
average file size is fairly small (35-50 KB). They're not perfect, but
they are a historical record of what it looked like to watch the
moonwalks on TV during the early '70s.

I'm still doing some cropping and such, but they'll be ready to go in a
day or two. So, if anyone is in a position to help out and post them to
a website, I'd love to hear from you!

--

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for | Doug Van Dorn
thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup |