ASTRO: Are 3 arms better than 2?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old March 3rd 09, 11:54 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: Are 3 arms better than 2?

Arp 20, UGC 3014 made the Arp catalog for having three arms. One of
which seems to come out of bar at right angles to the other two that
come from the ends of the bar as they are "supposed to". It's red shift
data puts it about 190 million light years away. Thus it is a rather
small galaxy. I needed to image this on a night that I could use 0.5"
pixels but seeing conditions never were good enough so I settled for
this lower resolution 1" per pixel image. More detail can be seen in
Arp's Palomar image at:
http://nedwww.ipac.caltech.edu/level...ures/arp20.gif

Rick

Attached Thumbnails