news flash.......mosley bleeds from O-ring.

Old June 12th 04, 04:20 AM
LaDonna Wyss

(Derek Lyons) wrote in message ...
"Ami Silberman" wrote:

From: LaDonna Wyss ]
Sent: Friday, June 11, 2004 1:48 PM
To: Ami Silberman
Subject: news flash.......mosley bleeds from O-ring.

Reposted from mail with permission. Personal identification removed.

Well, first of all I believe anyone who dies in uniform dies in service to
his country. I also believe those who die after serving in uniform die in

service to their country.

*After* leaving the service? That makes little sense, and certainly
is not the sense the phrase 'died in service' is usually used.

By the way, are you aware those launches take place NOT on NASA property
but on Air Force property? That lends a military aspect right there.

Most everybody is aware of that aspect, but the military doesn't
control anything that goes on there (other than launch safety). To
consider that significant is ludicrous.

D.

Really? Well, I don't think General Phillips is alive, but perhaps
Colonel Strang still is. Why don't you ask him why he was the "point
man" in the Apollo One investigation? Once they "determined" there
was no foul play **snickering since I know better**, why would the Air
Force have taken point over NASA? (Reference the FBI files; Borman
called the FBI once--actually his secretary dialed for him--but by the
time the FBI AIC got on the phone Borman had mysteriously gone into a
meeting. However, the AIC recorded that call and the subsequent one
from Colonel Strang, who told him in no uncertain terms HE was the
only point of contact in the investigation between the FBI and NASA's
"investigation.")
LaDonna
Old June 12th 04, 04:26 AM
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

"Ami Silberman" wrote in message

Well, you know next to nothing about D&D. What are some of these "real
consequences for innocent bystanders"? Other than occasional soft-drink
spills and a penchant of gamers to fail to clean up after themselves, I
can't say that I've seen any. (All the "Satanic Murder" stories etc. have
been pretty well debunked.) I've seen as many people drop out of school or
disrupt their love lives with bridge, model rocketry, and sports as I have
with role-playing games, and I've been playing them for close to 30 years
now.

Hey, I think I gained weight playing D&D.. That's one side effect.

As for those "Satanic Murder" stories go... as my grandfather pointed out
15-20 years back... just because screwed up people play D&D doesn't mean D&D
caused them to be screwed up. He realized that correlation is not
causation.

Actually, I think my aunt and uncle and my cousin's friend's parents should
thank me for introducing their kids to D&D. Where else would they have
learned about some of the concepts of ecology, physics, math, logic, etc
that I introduced into the game.

Old June 12th 04, 04:28 AM
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

"OM" om@our_blessed_lady_mary_of_the_holy_NASA_researc h_facility.org wrote
in message ...
On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 14:19:34 -0400, "Ami Silberman"
wrote:

Well, you know next to nothing about D&D.

...Actually, Tunnels & Trolls was a lot more fun. Especially when you
consider that only D6's were used, and it was easy to get involved in
massive dice roll wars with 44-oz cups full of cheap gambling dice
thrown on tables that required 2-3 minutes to determine whether or not
you just beat the **** out of your opponent enough to earn a right to
tumble in the furs for a night with his favorite mistress :-)

Friend of mine developed an undead game... any battle role was a d4, d6, d10
and I think a d20. All had their place and it made combat fairly quick and
easy.

Old June 12th 04, 05:36 AM
OM

On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 03:28:36 GMT, "Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)"
wrote:

Friend of mine developed an undead game... any battle role was a d4, d6, d10
and I think a d20. All had their place and it made combat fairly quick and
easy.

....Best version of D&D I've ever seen, tho, was the one where a golf
ball was done up as one of Lou Zocchi's hundred-sided dice. You went
out on the course, played nine holes, and each hit of the ball
determined which monster you fought. If you survived, you played on to
finish the hole, which determined how much treasure & XP you gained
which was also modified by how much under or over par you scored for
that hole. It was the only version of D&D I've ever seen where you got
exercise while playing ;-)

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr
Old June 12th 04, 05:40 AM
OM

On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 03:26:39 GMT, "Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)"
wrote:

As for those "Satanic Murder" stories go... as my grandfather pointed out
15-20 years back... just because screwed up people play D&D doesn't mean D&D
caused them to be screwed up. He realized that correlation is not
causation.

....What we found back in my college days, when UAGS took over most of
the older buildings on Wednesday nights, was that RPGs tend to allow
the really whacked-out societal rejects the opportunity to interact
with others without having to be part of real life society. The
problem there is that once they're allowed into the game, they tend to
either dominate it and/or ruin it for the normal people because normal
people don't take RPG playing seriously. Which, IMHO, is one of the
reasons EverCrack is so popular. These loony-toons can now perform the
same faux life activities without actually physically having to deal
with people in real-life environments.

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr
Old June 12th 04, 06:25 AM
OM

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 21:22:44 -0400, "Scott Hedrick"
wrote:

PAD took delight in saying that, the day after Gene was dropped in the hole,
Arnold was given a box and told he'd be escorted off the property.

....According to Vardaman, it went more like this. The day they
reported to work after the funeral, nobody was speaking to them at
all. They suspected something was up, but couldn't figure out what.
The mailroom hadn't even sent up his mail as they did every morning,
and nobody was returning his calls. The two went to lunch, came back
and were stopped by security who informed them they had five minutes
to pack their things. Then, after they packed up what they could,
Arnold wasn't allowed to take the box because it was suspected he was
walking off with Paranoidmount property. After one of the guards
agreed to take two minutes to look through the box, Arnold was allowed
to leave with what apparently was his personal belongings in a much
emptier box. According to one report, he'd had a first-season TNG
dustbuster phaser, a couple of other nondescript Feinberger-type
props, a lot of early draft scripts, and some other minor props, all
no doubt intended for sale at conventions.

....Last I saw, the powertripping scumbag was hawking Trekkie bait &
other paraphenalia on one of the Home Shopping channels, and was still
as obnoxious as ever. I kept hoping PAD would call in during the
call-in portion of the show so he could laugh at his current
predicament.

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr
Old June 12th 04, 08:16 AM
Derek Lyons

(LaDonna Wyss) wrote:

(Derek Lyons) wrote in message ...

By the way, are you aware those launches take place NOT on NASA property
but on Air Force property? That lends a military aspect right there.

Most everybody is aware of that aspect, but the military doesn't
control anything that goes on there (other than launch safety). To
consider that significant is ludicrous.

D.

Really? Well, I don't think General Phillips is alive, but perhaps
Colonel Strang still is. Why don't you ask him why he was the "point
man" in the Apollo One investigation? Once they "determined" there
was no foul play **snickering since I know better**,

You *claim* to know better, but you seem to be unable to demonstrate
that you know better.

why would the Air Force have taken point over NASA?

No mystery to anyone with a clue as to how these things work within
the government... The Air Force had experience in these matter, NASA
didn't. The Air Force also provided a degree of independence to the
investigation.

The experience angle is also why the Navy took the lead in
coordinating the recovery of both the Challenger wreckage and the
remains of TWA flight 800. It's also why Air Force personnel figured
greatly in the Rodgers Commission and the CAIB.

(Reference the FBI files; Borman
called the FBI once--actually his secretary dialed for him--but by the
time the FBI AIC got on the phone Borman had mysteriously gone into a
meeting. However, the AIC recorded that call and the subsequent one
from Colonel Strang, who told him in no uncertain terms HE was the
only point of contact in the investigation between the FBI and NASA's
"investigation.")

Again, not an unusual thing at all in any investigation or
multi-agency project. Multiple points of contact means multiple
points of potential confusion and friction. (See the CAIB report for
some examples of this.)

You'd do a lot better if you learned to ask questions of people who
know how things work and seek to understand the answers rather than
assuming you know. To date your assumptions are almost universally
wrong. (Ironic in light of the number of times you have told us not
to 'Ass U Me'.)

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.
Old June 12th 04, 11:37 AM
Alan Erskine

"Derek Lyons" wrote in message
You *claim* to know better, but you seem to be unable to demonstrate
that you know better.

This indicates a troll. To me, it indicates a Maxson unit in drag and
excessive makeup.

--
Alan Erskine
We can get people to the Moon in five years,

Old June 12th 04, 12:03 PM
Dale

On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 10:37:00 GMT, "Alan Erskine"
wrote:

"Derek Lyons" wrote in message
You *claim* to know better, but you seem to be unable to demonstrate
that you know better.

This indicates a troll. To me, it indicates a Maxson unit in drag and
excessive makeup.

I'm splitting hairs here, but to me, a troll is someone who posts nonsense
only because he/she enjoys watching the resulting mayhem. I suspect
LaDonna sincerely believes what she's saying. It's been amazing to watch
her arrogantly assert things that are so blatantly wrong. I haven't been
following all that closely, but didn't she say you could hot-fire hypergolic
thrusters without any fuel?

The only thing I engaged her in was the question of whether or not the
crew died so that we would have the right to post on usenet, as she
repeatedly asserted. I actually was hoping she'd come up with a rational
argument. It's probably not that difficult, if you want to be very broadly
philosophical about it.

If she studies hard, she could someday aspire to become a troll

Dale
Old June 12th 04, 02:10 PM
Scott Hedrick

"OM" om@our_blessed_lady_mary_of_the_holy_NASA_researc h_facility.org wrote
in message news
I kept hoping PAD would call in during the
call-in portion of the show so he could laugh at his current
predicament.

I've written a couple of moderately successful books, and a string of
articles. I'm a writer.

PAD is in a category by himself, approaching Asimov in capacity. When PAd
says he's a writer, a light shines from above and a chorus chimes. The dude
types 120 words per minute.

I saw him at a convention, where he was going to read a chapter from what
turned out to be "Imzadi". He'd written it the night before. The next day,
he was going to read the next chapter (and did), which he wrote after
partying until well into the morning. The chapters printed were almost word
for word what he'd read.

He was heavier then, and had a pony tail. As he pointed out, he doesn't
exactly look like professional secretary material, but at 120 words per
minute, he'll never lack for a job.

Saw him at DragonCon 2001. He's a bit lighter and lost the ponytail. He's
every bit the professional he was. Unlike certain investigator wannabes
around here, he does his homework and cites his sources.