Portable Observatory

Old January 31st 05, 02:06 AM
Too_Many_Tools

Default Portable Observatory

I have been looking for examples of portable observatories for ideas to
build one of my own.

Here is one that I came across...

http://www.volnaengineering.com/observ.htm

Does anyone have any further information on this observatory?

Has anyone made a variation of this idea?
Thanks for whatever information you can offer.

Old January 31st 05, 02:12 AM
Ed T

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have been looking for examples of portable observatories for ideas to
build one of my own.

Here is one that I came across...

http://www.volnaengineering.com/observ.htm

Does anyone have any further information on this observatory?

Has anyone made a variation of this idea?
Thanks for whatever information you can offer.

There was a discussion of this design on the Yahoo Observatory group:

It took place recently, maybe within the last month or so. It is part of a
larger thread on mobile obs.

Ed T.

Old January 31st 05, 05:47 AM
SaberScorpX

Too_Many_Tools wrote:
I have been looking for examples of portable observatories for ideas

build one of my own.
Here is one that I came across...
http://www.volnaengineering.com/observ.htm
Has anyone made a variation of this idea?
Thanks for whatever information you can offer.

One of our local clubs built the PACMO (Popular Astronomy Club Mobile
Observatory) in 1999:
http://pacastronomy.50megs.com/cgi-b...o/pacmo_03.htm

Old January 31st 05, 06:51 PM
Too_Many_Tools

Thanks for posting the site.

You would not believe how little is available on portable observatories
on the Internet.

Several problems...the site you have the pictures hosted on is trying
to install spyware on my computer and the small thumbnail photos will
not enlarge. Have you considered hosting them elsewhere?

I would also like to hear how you installed your pier and how you
handled preventing vibrations from causing problems.

Has anyone in your group considered writing this modification of the
van up and placing it on the web?

Thanks

TMT

Old January 31st 05, 07:00 PM
Too_Many_Tools

Thanks for the pointer to the information.

Do you happen to have a link to the discussion?

I have looked but Yahoo's search feature leaves much to be desired.
Thanks

TMT

Old January 31st 05, 07:07 PM
Too_Many_Tools

Hi Ed,

Thanks for mentioning that a thread exists in the Yahoo group.

Would you happen to know where to look (message id number)? I have
looked but cannot find the discussion thread. Yahoo's search function
leaves much to be desired.

Thanks

TMT

Old January 31st 05, 10:18 PM
SaberScorpX

Too_Many_Tools wrote:
Thanks for posting the site.
You would not believe how little is available on portable

observatories
on the Internet.
Several problems...the site you have the pictures hosted on is trying
to install spyware on my computer and the small thumbnail photos will
not enlarge. Have you considered hosting them elsewhere?
I would also like to hear how you installed your pier and how you
handled preventing vibrations from causing problems.
Has anyone in your group considered writing this modification of the
van up and placing it on the web?

Apologies for the pop-ups.
It's not my site, trailer, or observatory.
You can email the club for info:
http://pacastronomy.50megs.com/pac_03.htm

Old January 31st 05, 11:33 PM
JATO

On 30 Jan 2005 18:06:00 -0800, "Too_Many_Tools"
wrote:

I have been looking for examples of portable observatories for ideas to
build one of my own.

Here is one that I came across...

http://www.volnaengineering.com/observ.htm

Does anyone have any further information on this observatory?

Has anyone made a variation of this idea?
Thanks for whatever information you can offer.

Try this link:
http://www.waid-observatory.com/obse...nstuction.html

-JATO
http://jatobservatory.org
Old February 1st 05, 12:44 AM
Ed T

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi Ed,

Thanks for mentioning that a thread exists in the Yahoo group.

Would you happen to know where to look (message id number)? I have
looked but cannot find the discussion thread. Yahoo's search function
leaves much to be desired.

Start with Message 6104 and look onward through 6145 (1/6/05-1/8/05).

Ed T.

Old February 1st 05, 01:04 AM
Too_Many_Tools

Thanks...I appreciate it.