Sun activity , help please

Old July 29th 04, 03:51 PM
Jonathan Vogt

Default Sun activity , help please

Does anyone know if we had a very active sun last weekend , or the
arrival of a mass discharge say on Saturday. It would appear that a
large number of homing pigeons went astray on Saturday and I was
wondering if disturbances in the earths magnetic field could have been
the cause.... Thanks Jon V
--
Jonathan Vogel

Old July 29th 04, 05:19 PM
Jonathan Silverlight

In message , Jonathan Vogt
writes
Does anyone know if we had a very active sun last weekend , or the
arrival of a mass discharge say on Saturday. It would appear that a
large number of homing pigeons went astray on Saturday and I was
wondering if disturbances in the earths magnetic field could have been
the cause.... Thanks Jon V

Very probably :-(
There's a web site http://www.spaceweather.com/ which lets you look at
the "weather" in previous days and months, and there was apparently a
"strong geomagnetic storm" on the 24/25 July, with auroras seen over
much of the USA. Sunspot 652 has apparently been throwing stuff at us.
--
What have they got to hide? Release the full Beagle 2 report.
Old July 29th 04, 06:19 PM
Malcolm Stewart

Jonathan Vogt wrote in message
Does anyone know if we had a very active sun last weekend , or the
arrival of a mass discharge say on Saturday. It would appear that a
large number of homing pigeons went astray on Saturday and I was
wondering if disturbances in the earths magnetic field could have been
the cause.... Thanks Jon V
--
Jonathan Vogel

Quite likely in my opinion. I've believed for about 30 years that pigeons
"know" where magnetic north is.

--
M Stewart
Milton Keynes, UK