Genesis and Matthew

Old February 6th 14, 07:57 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
oriel36[_2_]

Default Genesis and Matthew

I hear that there is an 'evolution/creation' debate on national television but that stuff is merely a by-product of an era that is lost in matters of faith,astronomy and terrestrial sciences.

Genesis contains a framework common to most narratives that have a large scale creation/destruction cycles attached and not exclusive to the Judaeo-Christian texts. The reader is drawn to the intricate features of these structures but they will mean nothing to those who can't be inspired.

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Genesis%205

The most obvious clue is the breaking of the formula in the genealogical chain 'Then he died' at Enoch among the 10 Patriarchs spanning Adam to Noah. Of all the exaggerated lifetime values, the author attaches 365 years to the lifetime of Enoch indicating the artificial structure across the entire narrative including the first 7 days of Genesis 1.

As Adam was created on the 6th day and also forms a link in the genealogical chain,it prevents the reader from trying to partition Genesis one from the rest of the text which ends at Genesis 7 V 11 . Genuine astronomers have an natural affinity for these things as works of art more than just a mathematical endeavor insofar as it enhances appreciation of the text as these structures protect the text from reckless interpretation,something which unfortunately exists today in terms of the 'evolution/creationism' thing.

Genesis has therefore an artificial mathematical/geometric facet where the number of weeks between the creation of Adam to the first drop of rain of Noah's flood amounts to 86,400 weeks remembering that this is the amount of seconds in one day. This was first proposed by Julius Oppert -

http://books.google.ie/books?id=-WBY...page&q&f=false

The timekeeping element in the genealogical structure is more developed in the genealogical structure of Matthew which is gorgeous in form and function.The gift of God is not to insert an unwarranted interpretation into these structures but to admire them for what they are and this goes all the way up to the spectacular Book Of Revelation.Like all works of spirit,these works are a gift of God but impenetrable for the spiritless and the unintelligent.

Old February 6th 14, 03:57 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Wed, 5 Feb 2014 22:57:47 -0800 (PST), oriel36
wrote:

Genesis contains...

Your belief in the 3000 year old fantasies of primitive, brutal,
pre-technological humans explains a lot about your other views.
Old February 6th 14, 05:01 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
oriel36[_2_]

wrote:

Genesis contains...

Your belief in the 3000 year old fantasies of primitive, brutal,

pre-technological humans explains a lot about your other views.

You know,I went out of my way to meet you in Armagh and offered to drive the 30 minutes it takes to drive to incredible astronomical sites of Newgrange, Knowth and Dowth with their Solstice and Equinox alignments but then again empiricists are ignorant of astronomical history including their own cult which is roughly a few centuries old.

"Stonehenge. The most famous megalithic site in the world. Construction was begun in about 2800 BCE. and continued for over 1000 years. It was first noted in 1721 that the central Avenue was directed toward the summer solstice sunrise. More recently, many other astronomical relationships have been claimed, to such an extent that some consider Stonehenge a sophisticated prehistoric astronomical computer.

I don't believe that such a conclusion can be made. It is important to realize that with the erosion of the stones, and their settling and shifting over several thousand years, it is not really possible to say with a high degree of precision what their original positions were, nor where exactly on the stones measurements should be made. With resulting position errors on the order of a degree or more, no complex astronomical relationships can be ascertained (or rather, any number of fanciful ones may be derived.)" Peterson

http://www.cloudbait.com/archaeo/england.html

Considering that we are closer in history to the Hebrew authors and their Genesis narrative with its artificial timekeeping facet than the Hebrew authors were to the Neolithic monument builders of Newgrange, you dreary pronouncement is roughly what is expected.

I learned an invaluable lesson all the same - it doesn't matter how spectacular or how profound the physical and intellectual insights of astronomers are through history,you have to have that spirit to appreciate them and that you and your cult colleagues lack.

Old February 6th 14, 05:11 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Thu, 6 Feb 2014 08:01:39 -0800 (PST), oriel36
wrote:

You know,I went out of my way to meet you in Armagh and offered to drive the 30 minutes it takes to drive to incredible astronomical sites of Newgrange, Knowth and Dowth with their Solstice and Equinox alignments but then again empiricists are ignorant of astronomical history including their own cult which is roughly a few centuries old.

Which was appreciated. But which doesn't change in the slightest that
you have an extremely bizarre world view.
Old February 6th 14, 05:12 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

wrote:

Genesis contains...

Your belief in the 3000 year old fantasies of primitive, brutal,
pre-technological humans explains a lot about your other views.

Humans living 3000 years ago were not "pre-technological" and not necessarily primitive nor brutal either.

Old February 6th 14, 07:04 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Quadibloc

wrote:

Genesis contains...

Your belief in the 3000 year old fantasies of primitive, brutal,
pre-technological humans explains a lot about your other views.

It is true that his Christian faith, and for that matter, some things specific to Roman Catholic theology, are connected with his astronomical views. But this is not a reason to be insulting to the majority of the people around us, who hold the Bible to be the Word of God.

John Savard
Old February 6th 14, 07:44 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
oriel36[_2_]

wrote:

You know,I went out of my way to meet you in Armagh and offered to drive the 30 minutes it takes to drive to incredible astronomical sites of Newgrange, Knowth and Dowth with their Solstice and Equinox alignments but then again empiricists are ignorant of astronomical history including their own cult which is roughly a few centuries old.

Which was appreciated. But which doesn't change in the slightest that

you have an extremely bizarre world view.

An astronomer looking at the Newgrange and Stonehenge monuments which are separated by 1000 years or 4% of a precessional cycle,there is an incredible amount of information flowing from the alignments in terms of planetary dynamics and why precession is a long term orbital trait and not an axial trait given that both monuments still retain their alignments across many thousands of years.

Your cult manufactures history hence you are unlikely to experience the admiration from the great astronomers in antiquity and the skill in all facets of social organization to construct these wonders,everything from quarrying to architecture,sea and river navigation to just the right location not to mention the astronomical knowledge to create the alignment -

http://www.worldheritageireland.ie/b...age/newgrange/

The Christian Book of Revelation,like the Matthean and Genesis structure is a geometric work but like all the other great insights both physical and intellectual,it will always remain impenetrable to the dour,the mediocre and the dull. I delight in my work because it pleases God that I delight in Him and even if the transmission of insights only comes in glimpses and perhaps in less than perfect terms,this will resonate among those whom it is destined to resonate. That is why the contemporary era is amazing for other reasons in providing a conduit for information that has been ignored for centuries.

Old February 6th 14, 07:45 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Thu, 6 Feb 2014 10:04:14 -0800 (PST), Quadibloc
wrote:

It is true that his Christian faith, and for that matter, some things specific to Roman Catholic theology, are connected with his astronomical views. But this is not a reason to be insulting to the majority of the people around us, who hold the Bible to be the Word of God.

I have no respect at all for those who base their worldview on faith.
Faith is at the root of nearly everything wrong in the world. Faith is
an intellectual defect of the highest order. And telling somebody they
are wrong (as Christians are) is not an insult. If they choose to take
it as such, tough. I don't care. They're wrong about that, too.
Old February 6th 14, 08:07 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
oriel36[_2_]

On Thursday, February 6, 2014 6:45:21 PM UTC, Chris L Peterson wrote:

Faith is at the root of nearly everything wrong in the world. Faith is

an intellectual defect of the highest order. And telling somebody they

are wrong (as Christians are) is not an insult. If they choose to take

it as such, tough. I don't care. They're wrong about that, too.

I often wonder what happens when you encounter works of inspiration which requires that the observer and listener becomes likewise inspired -

"Middle English enspire, from Old French inspirer, from Latin inspirare 'breathe or blow into,' from in- 'into' + spirare 'breathe.' The word was originally used of a divine or supernatural being, in the sense 'impart a truth or idea to someone.'"

"Nicodemus said to Jesus, "How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter a second time into his mother's womb and be born?" 5 Jesus answered, "Amen,amen I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. Do not marvel that I said to you, 'You must be born again.' The wind blows where it wills, and you hear the sound it makes, but you do not know where it comes from or where it goes. So it is with everyone who is born of the Spirit."

Astronomy is very much like that,you sense the grandeur behind the celestial arena and ideas come out of nowhere and present themselves to the imagination where they are shaped and become signposts for other ideas and a never ending symphony between the individual and the Universal.