OT and Personal

Old July 12th 03, 08:42 PM
Greg Crinklaw

Default OT and Personal

This is an obvious forgery. Why would someone post through an anonymous
remailer with their real name and a link to their web site? And then
post it a second time because they forgot to put their real name in the
"from" address?

The very sick language and threats in this forgery make it a criminal
offense in the US and probably other countries as well -- very serious
if anybody chooses to pursue it. I wouldn't be surprised if the person
who often posts by the name Daniel Min isn't the true poster. It fits
his "alter ego" MO, which I believe includes various "Green people."
After all, what other nut would crosspost this to sci.astro.amateur out
of the blue? SAA is one of "Min's" favorite playgrounds. Hopefully the
anonymous remailer is just a front for some law enforcement agency.
Then he'll get what he deserves.

A nice thought...

Yeah, sure, I'd hate to think some government was using this tactic to
to crack down in dissidents and free speech. But criminal behavior is
something altogether different.

Old July 12th 03, 11:42 PM
John Beaderstadt

I was reading in the bathroom when I ran across an item written by
Greg Crinklaw on Sat, 12 Jul 2003 15:36:08
-0600, which said:

As for filtering, I've never heard of you before so why would I have
filtered you out?

????

You've lost me. All I meant to say was that, assuming I was the
target of that post (I haven't been interested enough to look it up in
Google, but your response showed up right after I posted the original
message -- I can only assume some yabbo using an anonymous remailer
immediately forged a reply, to which you were responding), you
shouldn't get upset on my account.

As far as legal recourse, I wouldn't even consider it until and unless
a credible threat were made; the police won't even look at it until
then.

---------------
Beady's Corollary to Occam's Razor: "The likeliest explanation of any phenomenon is almost always the most boring."
Old July 13th 03, 02:46 AM
Greg Crinklaw

John Beaderstadt wrote:
You've lost me. All I meant to say was that, assuming I was the
target of that post (I haven't been interested enough to look it up in
Google, but your response showed up right after I posted the original
message -- I can only assume some yabbo using an anonymous remailer
immediately forged a reply, to which you were responding), you
shouldn't get upset on my account.

As I see it you aren't the victim of the crime. This person named Alan is.

As far as legal recourse, I wouldn't even consider it until and unless
a credible threat were made; the police won't even look at it until
then.

I believe I read somewhere that making criminal threats in the guise of
someone else is a chargeable criminal offense. In other words if the
threat made was criminal, it is a similar (even additional) criminal act
to make said threat while pretending to be someone else, particularly if
the intent was to get the other party "in trouble."

I don't know what the newsgroups you people hang out on are like, but in
nearly 15 years of reading USENET I have never read anything as
offensive as the post in question.

Greg

Old July 13th 03, 04:41 AM
John Beaderstadt

I was reading in the bathroom when I ran across an item written by
Greg Crinklaw on Sat, 12 Jul 2003 19:46:33
-0600, which said:

As I see it you aren't the victim of the crime. This person named Alan is.

Oh, I see. If it's the Alan I'm thinking of, he's in Australia, which
makes any kind of legal solution even more difficult.

I don't know what the newsgroups you people hang out on are like, but in
nearly 15 years of reading USENET I have never read anything as
offensive as the post in question.

If it's who I think it is, the guy is a real loony. He has his own
(published) conspiracy theory and is completely paranoid into the
bargain. He honestly doesn't seem to understand that telling everyone
that he lost his job because he refused to submit to seek therapy does
not enhance his theory's credibility. He also goes off on almost
uncontrolled rants and tantrums whenever anyone disagrees with him.

---------------
Beady's Corollary to Occam's Razor: "The likeliest explanation of any phenomenon is almost always the most boring."
Old July 13th 03, 09:57 PM
John Beaderstadt

I was reading in the bathroom when I ran across an item written by
Steve Preskitt on Sun, 13 Jul
2003 13:00:05 -0400, which said:

It's been my experience that trying to resolve situations like this
through an anonymous remailer's administrator is only slightly more
effective than trying to teach a pig to sing - they will generally say,
"sorry, we don't censor people's posts nor keep records of who sent
what" if they even respond at all.

They seem to believe that they are performing a public service by
furnishing a platform where all the oppressed people of the world can
speak out, free from fear of retribution or persecution. Well, that
may be so, but I have yet to see a remailed post by anyone except a
troll. How is it helping the world's oppressed to speak out if the
remailer's domain has become so obnoxious that it is killfiled by
virtually everybody in the world?

Beady's Corollary to Occam's Razor: "The likeliest explanation of any phenomenon is almost always the most boring."