Filar Micrometer Manufacturers?

Old July 11th 03, 08:28 PM
Chris L Peterson

Default Filar Micrometer Manufacturers?

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 18:42:58 GMT, Richard DeLuca
wrote:

Does anyone still make quality filar micrometers for telescopes? Old
fashioned, I know, but I'd like to get my hands on one anyway. Thanks
for any help.

I wouldn't count on it- can't think why anyone would use one, except for the
pleasure of using a fine instrument (like an astrolabe, for instance.)

I still occasionally see them in catalogs for microscopic use; maybe you could
get one of these and modify it. There must be a bunch lying around at colleges,
and observatories large and small. Possibly you could buy or borrow one.

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com
Old July 11th 03, 11:34 PM
Pierre

Richard DeLuca wrote in message ...
Does anyone still make quality filar micrometers for telescopes? Old
fashioned, I know, but I'd like to get my hands on one anyway. Thanks
for any help.

Starry Skies,
Rich

Have a look on the Webb Society site
http://www.webbsociety.org

in their double star section. There is also a French instrument maker
offering a double image micrometer working with a birefringent calcite
blade. Sorry this is a bit sketchy. Personally, I built my own
several years ago to measure double stars, to guide for comets.
Old July 12th 03, 04:38 AM

On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 02:30:36 GMT, Richard DeLuca
wrote:

In article
global.net,
Bill Tschumy wrote:

They are pricy, but Van Slyke Engineering still makes them:
http://www.observatory.org/turret.htm

Yes, thanks for the link. I actually remember seeing these a year or
two ago, but couldn't find Van Slyke's URL again. Beautiful, but as you
say- pricey. Too pricey.......

Starry Skies,
Rich

You can buy some microscopy units used, and adapt them.
Nikon, Unitron and Zeiss made them.
-Rich