How do you make your Observing Lists?

Old January 5th 05, 05:51 AM
Mark Smith

Default How do you make your Observing Lists?

I'm just curious here. I'm still very new to this and am having no
trouble at all finding things to look at. So far, I've been getting
my observing lists from (in no priority at all):

1. Interesting Planets or Comets in the sky (always good for a look)
or the moon.

2. The Astronomical League Observing Clubs. I'm currently working
through their Urban Club (from my back yard), Messier Club (11 left),
Universe Sampler Club (3 left) and am starting on the Herschell Club,
Lunar Club, and Double Star Club.

3. Sky and Telescope. I love trying to find some of their "deep sky
wonders".

4. Ad Hoc targets. That is what persuaded me to check out my first
Galaxy (hearing somebody commenting how great M51 looked one night),
the Veil (wanted to see how it would look in my teenie scope after
climbing the ladder to see it though a massive Dob), and the
Saturn Nebula (was working through the Messier Objects and noticed it
nearby on the Star Chart).

5. Old Favorites. I'm sure we all have them. I can always find
something new in M51, M81/82, or the Orion Nebula.

I usually build a list of objects scattered around the sky (through a
range of RA) from 2 and 3 above, and then add items from 1, 4, and 5
as they spark my fancy during the night. I never manage to get
through my prebuilt list, but never leave unhappy.

How do your build your lists? Or do you even use one?

Old January 5th 05, 12:50 PM

Mark Smith wrote:
I'm just curious here. I'm still very new to this and am having no
trouble at all finding things to look at. So far, I've been getting
my observing lists from (in no priority at all):

Hi:

I used to do all these things when composing lists...read the
magazines, browse through _Burnham's_, talk to buddies. I stil do those
things when putting together observing lists, but, mostly I just put
them together with the aid of the wonderful program, Skytools:
http://skyhound.com/skytools.html

Peace,
Rod Mollise

Old January 6th 05, 03:07 PM
Florian

Is there a demo version of this program? I didn't see one on the
website. I'm definitely a "try before you buy" type of guy. :-)

No demo. But it does come with a 30 day money back return policy.
I use SkyTools and like it very much.

-Florian

Old January 6th 05, 03:40 PM
Morris Jones

Mark Smith wrote:
How do your build your lists?

Pretty much the same sources you use. I use Skytools 2 to organize a
list and make finder charts.

Mojo
--
Morris Jones *
Monrovia, CA
Old February 1st 05, 01:15 PM
HAVRILIAK

to organize a
list and make finder charts.

I recently started the following proceedu First I identify what
constallations are in their optimum positions. Then I go to Burhams Handbook
and read about the constellation. Then I get the coods of all the pictures and
try to image the objects in that section.
The advantage of this proceedure is that the viewing and study is
constellation centered and remembering the details is much easier. It works
for me.
Old February 1st 05, 02:40 PM
Marty

Unless there's something in particular I'm heading out to look at, I'll
usually check a planisphere to see what's up, then look at an atlas to
pick out some targets. (Most often Skalnate Pleso or Tirion) I'll
usually try to include at least one new thing, although sometimes I'll
later find out I've seen it before. I might check Lugenbuhl and Skiff
or something to see if I have a reasonable chance of detecting
something, but I try to stay dumb on it's appearance until I check it
out myself.
Marty