Antares

Old April 22nd 13, 08:53 AM posted to sci.space.station
Brian Gaff

Default Antares

Yes very good, I congratulate them. It shows what slowing down and not being
so gung ho can do for a project. Re microsats. A lot of these are built just
down the road from me in Guildford UK.
It seems strange to think that mobile phone innards are now being used as
building blocks for sattalites.

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"JF Mezei" wrote in message
eb.com...
Launcg occured at 17:00, and everything seemed to functioned normally.
No spectacular explosions or fireworks.

The main payload was a dummy cylinder of the same weight as the Cygnus
with cargo in it, and it also had a collection of micro satellites,
including 3 "cellphone" satellites build from Google Nexus 1
smartphones, named apropriatly Alexander, Graham and Bell.

Next mission is late june early july. It will carry a real Cygnus with
goal of having Cygnus get to the station to deliver cargo.

Old April 22nd 13, 10:45 AM posted to sci.space.station
Jochem Huhmann

"Brian Gaff" writes:

Yes very good, I congratulate them. It shows what slowing down and not being
so gung ho can do for a project. Re microsats. A lot of these are built just
down the road from me in Guildford UK.
It seems strange to think that mobile phone innards are now being used as
building blocks for sattalites.

It's not only the innards, it's full mobile phones here.

Jochem

--
"A designer knows he has arrived at perfection not when there is no
longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to take away."
Old April 23rd 13, 07:26 AM posted to sci.space.station
Brian Gaff

Well yes, but Surrey Satellite Systems does both as well. The thing is how
do they harden the electronics against radiation and cosmic rays I wonder?

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active

Old April 23rd 13, 10:59 AM posted to sci.space.station
Jochem Huhmann

"Brian Gaff" writes:

Well yes, but Surrey Satellite Systems does both as well. The thing is how
do they harden the electronics against radiation and cosmic rays I wonder?

Not at all as far as I know. The radiation environment in LEO isn't that
bad it seems.

Jochem

Old April 29th 13, 07:18 PM posted to sci.space.station
Me

On Apr 21, 4:59*pm, JF Mezei wrote:
Question:

Antares test is being done from Wallops in northern Virginia (not far
from Maryland border).

NASA TV says this is the largest rocket launched from Wallops.

Is this just for the test flight, or do they intend to operate frm that
facility in the long term, despite the more northern latitude bing a
payload disadvantage compared to KSC ?

Or is the difference in latitude small enough that the payload
difference is not significant ?

Actually better for ISS missions.