the moons size coincidence?

Old April 2nd 06, 07:55 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy

Default the moons size coincidence?

the amazing coincidence that the moon is exactly the right size to
exactly cover the sun about 6 times a decade to give us a spectacular
eclipse
seems almost to much to believe that it really is a coincidence,
but I cant think of anything in the evolution of the planets and the
creation of our moon
to suggest otherwise

Old April 2nd 06, 08:17 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy

"Hayley" wrote in message
the amazing coincidence that the moon is exactly the right size to
exactly cover the sun about 6 times a decade to give us a spectacular
eclipse
seems almost to much to believe that it really is a coincidence,
but I cant think of anything in the evolution of the planets and the
creation of our moon
to suggest otherwise

I think this goes along with the fact that the earth is in the ideal
spot in it's distance from the sun to produce the ideal tempurature, and
various other life preserving conditions. It is by God's design.
Yours,
Bill Kelly.

Old April 2nd 06, 08:27 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy

On Sun, 2 Apr 2006 14:17:24 -0500, "Bill Kelly"
wrote:

"Hayley" wrote in message
the amazing coincidence that the moon is exactly the right size to
exactly cover the sun about 6 times a decade to give us a spectacular
eclipse
seems almost to much to believe that it really is a coincidence,
but I cant think of anything in the evolution of the planets and the
creation of our moon
to suggest otherwise

I think this goes along with the fact that the earth is in the ideal
spot in it's distance from the sun to produce the ideal tempurature, and
various other life preserving conditions. It is by God's design.

And possibly major scientific conferences being called in the corner
of Egypt in the track of totality last Wednesday ;-)
--
Pete
http://www.digitalsky.org.uk
Old April 2nd 06, 11:06 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy

Do any moons of the other planets have the right size to produce a similair
effect from that planets perspective?

Garry

Old April 2nd 06, 11:36 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy

garry parker wrote:
Do any moons of the other planets have the right size to produce a similair
effect from that planets perspective?

I dont think that has been worked out yet but it would be odd if they
don't. It's relatively simple maths to do. From the distance of Jupiter
the moon wouldn't need to be very large. And it has so many to choose
from.

Then there are all the other coincidentae. Just what would happen if
the moon had a magnetic core?
Does the fact that it doesn't spin have anything to do with that?
How far from the sun would it reposition itself if it had a magnetic
field?
How would that affect earth?

Then there is the fact it is cold by night 2 weeks a month. Does it
have ice?
Would a diurnal rotation warm it enough to melt it?
If it could spin would it be able to support an atmosphere?
Would that affect its magnetism?

Where would the earth be without it? How does the age of the universe
and the time involved in the moon and earth finding each other affect
the time that all the other chances would need to come together to
produce such a vibrant ball of life?

Is evolution possible under such circumstances.

OOPS troll...

... sorry.

Old April 3rd 06, 12:12 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy

"Weatherlawyer" wrote in message
oups.com...

garry parker wrote:
[...]

I know that it is best to stay on the "topic" of this newsgroup, but this
topic lends itself to the spiritual aspects thereof. A comment or so, here
or there, is acceptable, don't you think? I remember when there were a good
number of regular posters here, who said mostly nothing but silliness, and
although they are probably not greatly missed, I think it's ok to laugh
about glowing toilet seats now and then. It has been said that the greater
the intelligence, the the greater the need to be totally non- serious at
times. Yours,
Bill Kelly.
Yours,
Bill Kelly.

Old April 3rd 06, 06:42 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy

Wonderfully said!

A relativley new 'member'

--

Leo's up - somewhere,
Jeffrey

Beneath South Carolina skies and clouds and clouds and clouds
--------------------- ----------------------

Old April 3rd 06, 09:59 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy

Jeffrey Hopkins wrote:

Wonderfully said!

What exactly did he say?

I wasn't accusing anyone of trolling but just pointing out that the
thread was a potential drifter. Anyone interested in my interests can
get more with a Google search

A relativley new 'member'

Genuine ex-virgin I fear. Hence the lack of top postage. Or is that not
a breach of nettiquette on here?

I know an awful lot about the moon and I haven't mentioned the half of
it. I haven't come here to post flame bait though and these days I tend
to ignore trolls. I merely wanted to set someone -who was already on
the right track, well on their way.

This is what I have accomplished, I feel. The subject of astronomy is
peppered with prattfalls for people who can be quite abusive if you are
not a fellow believer in the scientific religion. It would be a shame
to be lead astray by pointless whimsey.

Old April 3rd 06, 12:39 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy

"Hayley" wrote in message
the amazing coincidence that the moon is exactly the right size to
exactly cover the sun about 6 times a decade to give us a spectacular
eclipse
seems almost to much to believe that it really is a coincidence,

It is a coincidence, and one that we are fortunate enough to be able to
experience. As the Moon gradually moves further away, the frequency of
annular eclipses will gradually increase until, at some distant date,
totality will no longer be possible.

Bill Kelly wrote:
I think this goes along with the fact that the earth is in the ideal
spot in it's distance from the sun to produce the ideal tempurature, and
various other life preserving conditions.

Base about apex. Life (of this form) was able to evolve here because the
conditions were/are suitable for it to evolve. Fairly obviously it is
only where life evolves that there is the possibility of life-forms
speculating about the coincidences that led to it being possible; there
is no need to invoke a deity.

It is by God's design.

Possibly, but that is off topic for this newsgroup (Clue: the "sci" in
its name stands for "science").

Best,
Stephen

Remove footfrommouth to reply

--
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
+ Stephen Tonkin | ATM Resources; Astro-Tutorials; Astro Books +
Old April 3rd 06, 12:49 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy

garry parker wrote:
Do any moons of the other planets have the right size to produce a
similair
effect from that planets perspective?

Does the fact that it doesn't spin have anything to do with that?

If it could spin would it be able to support an atmosphere?

Ah, but the moon does spin. The period of its rotation is equal to its
orbital period, that is why the same side of the moon faces us.

Rob