Looking for information on the woman who lived in a black hole

Old October 27th 03, 11:48 AM
Mardie

Default Looking for information on the woman who lived in a black hole

Many years ago, 10 or 15, there was a woman lived solo in a hole as
part of a NASA experiment on the effects of living solo for many weeks
(or even months). I can remember she would give interviews to
reporters through some microphone set-up (she could never see them, or
vice-versa) -- they would ask her the date and time -- and she would
always get it wrong because she had no natural light to keep the days
straight, and her sleep-awake schedule had shifted considerably.

The experiment was to see how well lack of human companianship could
be tolerated. I heard rumors througout the years that she killed
herself shortly after leaving the hole. If so, the experiment would be
a dismal failure.

I am looking for information on this experiment: I can't remember her
real name. My questions a What was her name? How long was she in
the hole for? Did she actually kill herself when she got out? Did
scientists recognize signs of depression?

Please post to the group; my e-mail is overloaded with SPAM! Thanks in
advance for any help. I have wondered about the aftermath of this
event for several years now.