Lunar eclipse photos at 01:20 UT

Old November 10th 03, 08:33 PM
Pete Lawrence

Default Lunar eclipse photos at 01:20 UT

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 06:47:20 -0000, "Kev"
wrote:

"Pete Lawrence" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 9 Nov 2003 12:02:38 -0000, "kev"
wrote:

I missed the 01h20m UT shot due to thick cloud.

Anyone in Europe manage the shot?

Yes! I posted 3 on the binaries, 1 just before totality, 1 during, and 1
just after.. for those that don't like the binaries newsgroups..

Mine are at

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/kev.pye/le1.jpg

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/kev.pye/le2.jpg

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/kev.pye/le3.jpg

Take with about 8secs on a Nikon 4500, Orion 80mm ED f7.5, DCL 28mm

Eyepiece
Quite a few of us around Letchworth and surround had it clear.
Main problems I had were a) keeping awake and b) trying to focus because

the
mid eclipse was so dark.

Kev,

Is one of these taken at 01h20m? Can you identify which one?

Are the stars real stars in these images or hot pixels (the one in the
middle looks like it has stars in it)?

If you have an 01h20m image with stars in it - can I use it for the
parallax project?

They are real Pete
8secs with the Nikon 4500

I will dig out the times etc and email you.

Best regards, Kev

Thanks Kev, I'd appreciate that. Sorry to question the stars -
sometimes it's difficult to tell (especially with my own pics!).
--
Pete Lawrence
http://www.pbl33.co.uk
Old November 11th 03, 11:07 AM
Roger Hamlett

wrote:

[...]

I must admit, I like these pictures, especially since the colours are much
closer to those I recorded. Several of the images posted, have had much more
extreme 'reds', which I didn't see, and don't appear on my pictures.
Glad somebody in the UK, got some images at totality. I got close, but the
cloud 'rolled in'. :-(
I puzzle at the comment about focusing though?. The trick is to focus when
there is still light, and set the camera to 'manual focus' and leave it
there. The focus doesn't change just because it goes darker!... :-)

Best Wishes

The Apollo Hoax FAQ (is not spam) :-) Nathan Jones Astronomy Misc 5 July 29th 04 06:14 AM
Apollo Buzz alDredge Astronomy Misc 5 July 28th 04 10:05 AM
The Apollo Hoax FAQ darla Astronomy Misc 15 July 25th 04 02:57 PM
Lunar eclipse photos at 01:20 UT Pete Lawrence Amateur Astronomy 48 November 11th 03 11:07 AM