Lunar eclipse photos at 01:20 UT

Old November 8th 03, 08:40 PM
Pete Lawrence

Default Lunar eclipse photos at 01:20 UT

On Sat, 8 Nov 2003 19:38:49 +0000, Stephen Tonkin
wrote:

Pete,

Another possibly-blindingly-obvious one I've jsut thought of. Do you
have some way of accounting for distortion introduced by the camera
lens? Should we each photograph a piece of graph paper as well, or
something?

All images will undoubtably have a degree of error in them. Lens
distortion will stretch and twist the real image in any number of
ways. Photographing graph paper is a good idea and will help in the
normalisation of the images.

Initially, I will try (if any of us get any images through what
appears to be a global cloud blanket!) to put together the images
using just the results submitted. With the planets animation the
distortion amongst the contributor's images wasn't actually that bad.
The exception was Jupiter which tended to be towards the edge of the
frame in each of the images.

Attempting to image with the Moon and the two reference stars in the
central part of the frame will also help reduce errors.

--
Pete Lawrence
http://www.pbl33.co.uk
Old November 8th 03, 08:47 PM
Stephen Tonkin

Pete Lawrence wrote:
On Sat, 8 Nov 2003 19:38:49 +0000, Stephen Tonkin
wrote:

[snip]

I'm so glad you noticed! Unworthy of comment, then? :-)

Best,
Stephen

Remove footfrommouth to reply

--
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
+ Stephen Tonkin | ATM Resources; Astro-Tutorials; Astro Books +
Old November 8th 03, 09:29 PM
Anthony Ayiomamitis

wrote:

Pete,

Another possibly-blindingly-obvious one I've jsut thought of. Do you
have some way of accounting for distortion introduced by the camera
lens? Should we each photograph a piece of graph paper as well, or
something?

All images will undoubtably have a degree of error in them. Lens
distortion will stretch and twist the real image in any number of
ways. Photographing graph paper is a good idea and will help in the
normalisation of the images.

Pete,

Initially, I will try (if any of us get any images through what
appears to be a global cloud blanket!) to put together the images

If nothing else we have potential issues to address and discuss in
advance for the next such opportunity early next year.

At this end, it looks quite bad as the clouds are quite bad.

Anthony.

Old November 8th 03, 09:47 PM
Pete Lawrence

wrote:

[snip]

I'm so glad you noticed! Unworthy of comment, then? :-)

Yes - unitentional slip of the keyboard.

Things are starting to thin aloft at the moment - I can actually see
the Moon!
--
Pete Lawrence
http://www.pbl33.co.uk
Old November 8th 03, 09:51 PM
Pete Lawrence

On Sat, 08 Nov 2003 23:29:54 +0200, Anthony Ayiomamitis
wrote:

If nothing else we have potential issues to address and discuss in
advance for the next such opportunity early next year.

Absolutely. If astronomy teaches any of us anything - it's how to be
patient! Whether it happens or not, it's a real pleasure planning
projects like this with you lot!

At this end, it looks quite bad as the clouds are quite bad.

I'm really sorry to hear that Anthony. Keep positive, sometimes
things do change at the last minute.

--
Pete Lawrence
http://www.pbl33.co.uk
Old November 8th 03, 09:53 PM
Mike Simmons

Anthony Ayiomamitis wrote:

At this end, it looks quite bad as the clouds are quite bad.

Same here, Anthony. http://www.astro.ucla.edu/~obs/towercam.htm
Satellite shows cloud continuing to stream in.

Mike Simmons
Old November 8th 03, 09:57 PM
andrea tasselli

Hi Stephen,

I would worry much less about distortion than anything else. It's
pretty rare for astronomical telescopes. Lens in the light path can
alter this however.

Andrea T.

My Astronomy Pages at:
http://www.geocities.com/andreatax/index.htm

Old November 8th 03, 09:57 PM
Anthony Ayiomamitis

Mike Simmons wrote:

Anthony Ayiomamitis wrote:

At this end, it looks quite bad as the clouds are quite bad.

Hi Mike,

Same here, Anthony. http://www.astro.ucla.edu/~obs/towercam.htm
Satellite shows cloud continuing to stream in.

That's a pretty cool link and facility ... our clouds are much thicker.
Anyway, I will be up until totality just in case we have any window of
opportunity to capture a few images and see something. We have been
blanketted the past week to ten days with the sole exception last night
when conditions were their usual pristine.

Anthony.

Mike Simmons

Old November 8th 03, 10:03 PM
Mike Simmons

Anthony Ayiomamitis wrote:

That's a pretty cool link and facility ... our clouds are much
thicker. Anyway, I will be up until totality just in case we have any
window of opportunity to capture a few images and see something. We
have been blanketted the past week to ten days with the sole exception
last night when conditions were their usual pristine.

The clouds here continue to let a little light through. Just enough to
make one hope but still bad enough to allow no more than a slight glow
from the Moon. I had intended to view and photograph the eclipse from
the catwalk of the dome in the live image but with these clouds I won't
make the trip up the mountain. They seem to be getting worse but I
intend to stay up and see what happens, too. Of course, here the
eclipse is in the early evening. :-)

Mike Simmons

The Apollo Hoax FAQ (is not spam) :-) Nathan Jones Astronomy Misc 5 July 29th 04 06:14 AM
Apollo Buzz alDredge Astronomy Misc 5 July 28th 04 10:05 AM
The Apollo Hoax FAQ darla Astronomy Misc 15 July 25th 04 02:57 PM
Lunar eclipse photos at 01:20 UT Pete Lawrence Amateur Astronomy 48 November 11th 03 11:07 AM