Siderealism

Old November 3rd 03, 08:13 PM
Jonathan Silverlight

Default Siderealism

In message , Oriel36
writes
DT wrote in message

I'm with you now !
I don't know anyone who thinks the earth has a constant orbital
displacement, including the scientific establishment. Perhaps all we
have here is a problem of semantics.

No,it is a serious flaw and unfortunately most of the big institutions
go along with the siderealist view,again here is the Maritme
Museum/Royal Observatory website.

http://www.nmm.ac.uk/site/navId/00500300l005001000

It is a sort of intellectual checkmate,for if the rotation of the
Earth through 360 degrees is adopted you end up with circular orbits
and constant positional displacements via siderealism,the other option
is to go back to the astronomical definition for rotation in 24 hours
but Newton defined and distinguished between the natural unequal day
and the 24 hour clock day in terms of the difference between absolute
time and relative time.

Enough. As I pointed out, that's a simplified description that doesn't
even mention the equation of time. If all you want to do is explain the
difference between sidereal and solar time, that's all you need.
You've stopped being amusing.
Plonk.
--
Rabbit arithmetic - 1 plus 1 equals 10
Old November 4th 03, 09:22 AM
Martin Brown

In message , Oriel36
writes
DT wrote in message
I don't know anyone who thinks the earth has a constant orbital
displacement, including the scientific establishment. Perhaps all we
have here is a problem of semantics.

No,it is a serious flaw and unfortunately most of the big institutions
go along with the siderealist view,again here is the Maritme
Museum/Royal Observatory website.

http://www.nmm.ac.uk/site/navId/00500300l005001000

The flaw appears to be largely your misunderstanding of how the equation
of time is derived from the combined orbital and diurnal motion of the
Earth. The Explanatory Supplement to the Nautical Almanac describes in
great detail how the various time systems are inter related.

If you take a series of photographs of solar transit at exactly 1200
local mean solar time you get the rather beautiful annalemma figure.

In these days where the importance of form over content is so prevalent
it is just possible that the RGO website has something silly on it.

London Science Museum recently issued a catalogue with the following gem
"Jet engines zoom us around the world and fly us to the moon, but how do
they work?". (Source New Scientist Feedback 1/11/03)

And only yesterday the IoS managed a title "Man falls in Acid" and the
acid in question was Caustic Soda. You can't trust journalists any more.

Regards,
--
Martin Brown
Old November 4th 03, 02:54 PM
Oriel36

Martin Brown wrote in message ...
In message , Oriel36
writes
DT wrote in message
I don't know anyone who thinks the earth has a constant orbital
displacement, including the scientific establishment. Perhaps all we
have here is a problem of semantics.

No,it is a serious flaw and unfortunately most of the big institutions
go along with the siderealist view,again here is the Maritme
Museum/Royal Observatory website.

http://www.nmm.ac.uk/site/navId/00500300l005001000

The flaw appears to be largely your misunderstanding of how the equation
of time is derived from the combined orbital and diurnal motion of the
Earth. The Explanatory Supplement to the Nautical Almanac describes in
great detail how the various time systems are inter related.

If you take a series of photographs of solar transit at exactly 1200
local mean solar time you get the rather beautiful annalemma figure.

The analemma is a hideous attempt to fit the Equation of Time within
the 24 hour astronomical day insofar as the purpose of the EoT permits
the seamless transition from one 24 hour day to the next even though
the natural day (meridian alignment at noon) is unequal.The EoT
therefore defines the astronomical 24 hour day off the natural unequal
day,the pace of this day sets the pace off everything else including
the sidereal value of 23 hours 56 min,however the sidereal value is
based on the rotation of the Earth in 24 hours exactly therefore you
cannot link the rotation of the Earth directly to the sidereal value
and unfortunately this is what relativity does.

The point is that if you can take photographs at noon that describe
the EoT via the analemma ,this is not the principle that spurred
Harrison to develop accurate clocks to solve the determination of
position on the planet.The principle is that for each axial rotation
there is a variation in the natural day and therefore addition and
subtraction of minutes and seconds is required to equalise the natural
variation to a 24 hour constant over the course of an annual orbit.Mr
Silverlight appears to believe that the EoT is a constant 4 minute
addition to bridge the sidereal value with the 24 hour value but this
is incorrect,Newton is correct.

"Absolute time, in astronomy, is distinguished from relative, by the
equation or correlation of the vulgar time. For the natural days are
truly unequal, though they are commonly considered as equal and used
for a measure of time; astronomers correct this inequality for their
more accurate deducing of the celestial motions." Principia

In these days where the importance of form over content is so prevalent
it is just possible that the RGO website has something silly on it.

No,the RGO is taking its cues from relativistic influenced physicists
insofar as everytime Albert opens his sidereal mouth on astronomy it
is an assault on the eyes.In the following excerpt even an amateur
astronomer would point out that the astronomical day is 24 hours,that
polaris won't describe a circle,things like that,the other excerpt is
almost hilarious but then again you have to read the thing,not as an
Einstein apologist but perhaps as a person who wishes recover some
dignity to your national heritage.

"Now if we use a system of co-ordinates which is rigidly attached to
the earth, then, relative to this system, every fixed star describes a
circle of immense radius in the course of an astronomical day, a
result which is opposed to the statement of the law of inertia"

http://www.bartleby.com/173/4.html

"We must draw attention here to one of these deviations. According to
Newton's theory, a planet moves round the sun in an ellipse, which
would permanently maintain its position with respect to the fixed
stars, if we could disregard the motion of the fixed stars, themselves
and the action of the other planets under consideration. Thus, if we
correct the observed motion of the planets for these two influences,
and if Newton's theory be strictly correct, we ought to obtain for the
orbit of the planet an ellipse, which is fixed with reference to the
fixed stars."

http://www.bartleby.com/173/29.html

London Science Museum recently issued a catalogue with the following gem
"Jet engines zoom us around the world and fly us to the moon, but how do
they work?". (Source New Scientist Feedback 1/11/03)

And only yesterday the IoS managed a title "Man falls in Acid" and the
acid in question was Caustic Soda. You can't trust journalists any more.

Regards,

I've seen the same explanation as the RGO in many sites,all saying the
same thing and all tending towards relativistic principles.Those who
have the patience to study why the pace of a clock was determined
using the Sun as a reference and this in turns sets the pace of
everything else will recognise the fundamental error that science
seems prepared to continue with for the last century.Without doubt,the
problem in where the EoT fits between the natural unequal day and the
24 hour clock day but unfortunately it appears that its purpose and
where it is generated is now lost to history.
Old November 4th 03, 03:14 PM
Oriel36

DT wrote in message ...
Thanks for your reply, which, I'm sorry to say, was as expected.
Here's a comment on semantics that you probably got, but I'll say it
anyway, and a couple of definitions that it pays to remember (and try to
understand).

'I'm with you now' could mean I understand what you mean', or 'I'm on
your side' or even more likely, 'I've interpreted what you wrote
according to what I believe to be your motives'

You know nothing of my motives,in many years on the sci.forums I have
never made them known and most of this is simply astronomical
forensics,material that is already available and indeed the
rediscovery of the clocks to act as rulers (say goodbye to the 4th
dimension) is part and parcel of that heritage which you wish to
destroy.In simple terms,relativity tethers the rotation of the Earth
to the sidereal value instead of the original format which is the
rotation of the Earth through 360 degrees in 24 hours.

Time; The perceived continuing progression of existence.

Second (time); An arbitrary definition of an interval of time, based on
a recurring event that is perceived to be regular (by consensus), for
the purpose of measurement and calculation.

The fundamental unit of a clock is a 'day'.The 24 hour clock emerges
from the rotation of the Earth to face the Sun directly from noon to
noon,there is a natural variation in this event and therefore the
Equation of Time is the computation which equalises the variation.The
reason Harrison was aiming for a consistent clock rate is that the EoT
permits a seamless transition from one day to the next,it could act as
one end of a ruler in other words based on the rotation of the Earth
in 24 hours,a determination of 'noon' in one meridian location could
be compared with a clock which kept pace with this rotation in another
location.This is nothing more precise or exquisite in making 'time'
comparisons for this purpose but you destroyed them when you adopt
relativistic clock comparisons.

You've had your three strikes on 'show me a more accurate model' so now
your out AFAIC.
BTW my heritage, good and bad, is robust enough for any amount of
trampling, and will certainly outlive anything written here.

Denis (A clockmaker, among other things)

The continental guys in the early 20th century never understood what
Newton meant by the difference between absolute time and relative time
as the Equation of Time,they thought it was some hairy-fairy idea he
had when in actuality it was a commonplace computation made at noon by
astronomers and later by navigators alike.

So,in 2003 you still have relativistic models of the motion of the
primary planets of the solar system based on "the influence of the
motion of the fixed stars" and that should anyone gag.

http://www.bartleby.com/173/29.html
Old November 4th 03, 04:32 PM
Oriel36

Jonathan Silverlight wrote in message ...
In message , Oriel36
writes
DT wrote in message

[...]

An amateur astronomer should be capable of pointing out that the EoT
is not the bridge between the sidereal value of 23 hr 56 min and 24
hours but rather the difference between the natural unequal day and
the 24 hour clock day using only the Sun as a reference.

Relativity models planetary motion entirely on the siderealistic value
where the Earth 'rolls' around the Sun,it is not even primitive but it
is a strange mixture of heliocentrism and geocentrism,in other words
it is a belief no better or worse than creationism.
Old November 4th 03, 05:10 PM
Martin Frey

Martin Brown wrote:

You can't trust journalists any more.

You mean you once could?

Cheers

Martin

--------------
Martin Frey
N 51 02 E 0 47
--------------
Old November 4th 03, 09:22 PM
Martin Brown

In message , Oriel36
writes
Martin Brown wrote in message

Museum/Royal Observatory website.

http://www.nmm.ac.uk/site/navId/00500300l005001000

The flaw appears to be largely your misunderstanding of how the equation
of time is derived from the combined orbital and diurnal motion of the
Earth. The Explanatory Supplement to the Nautical Almanac describes in
great detail how the various time systems are inter related.

In these days where the importance of form over content is so prevalent
it is just possible that the RGO website has something silly on it.

No,the RGO is taking its cues from relativistic influenced physicists
insofar as everytime Albert opens his sidereal mouth on astronomy it
is an assault on the eyes.

The Equation of Time stems directly from classical orbital dynamics and
the inability of early clock makers to make cheap mechanisms to
accurately model the sun's motion. They invented the Fictitious Mean Sun
that appears to move at uniform rate along the celestial equator to
represent a uniform mean solar time that was convenient for the clock
makers to manufacture. Pendulum escapements and simple fixed ratio
gears. It predates relativity by a very long way (centuries).

These days you could have a precision watch made that showed genuine
local sundial time (but I doubt there would be much of a market).

"Now if we use a system of co-ordinates which is rigidly attached to
the earth, then, relative to this system, every fixed star describes a
circle of immense radius in the course of an astronomical day, a
result which is opposed to the statement of the law of inertia"

http://www.bartleby.com/173/4.html

And for your next trick a perpetual motion machine perhaps?

I've seen the same explanation as the RGO in many sites,all saying the
same thing and all tending towards relativistic principles.Those who
have the patience to study why the pace of a clock was determined
using the Sun as a reference and this in turns sets the pace of
everything else will recognise the fundamental error that science
seems prepared to continue with for the last century.Without doubt,the
problem in where the EoT fits between the natural unequal day and the
24 hour clock day but unfortunately it appears that its purpose and
where it is generated is now lost to history.

They chose to define the day in a convenient manner for simple pendulum
clocks (and later temperature compensated ones) to model a mean solar
day without having to add the complexities of the Equation of Time.

It is very convenient to have a definition of the second that does not
vary with the time of year. YMMV

The Equation of Time is in essence the difference between what is shown
on a sundial and the time on a well regulated mean solar clock.

The SI definition of the second is now entirely decoupled from the
Earth's motion and specified purely in terms of counting cycles of a
precise atomic transition.

Regards,
--
Martin Brown
Old November 7th 03, 11:56 AM
Oriel36

Martin Frey wrote in message . ..
(Oriel36) wrote:

The analemma is a hideous attempt to fit the Equation of Time within
the 24 hour astronomical day insofar as the purpose of the EoT permits

Am I being thick or is it you. I have tried to follow this thread and
it appears to making a drama our of a minor complication.

It is not minor,it is a serious flaw.

1) it appears that the earth spins at a reasonably constant rate -
does its 360 degrees every sidereal day.

You have deviated from first principles which are basic premises which
cannot be reduced further,the deviation is not just counter-productive
but is entirely destructive.

The basic premises such as the evolution of the Earth occurs over
billions of years,that the Earth orbits the Sun are examples of basic
statements which cannot be reduced further or deviated from,in this
respect the rotation of the Earth through 360 degrees in 24 hours is
another basic statement.

You are a siderealist and deviate from the rotation of the Earth in 24
hours/360 degrees even though the development of accurate clocks is
based on the principle,you choose either the rotation of the Earth in
24 hours through 361 degrees (361 degrees is non existent) or rotation
of the Earth through 360 degrees in 23 hours 56 minutes which is an
attempt to link the Earth's rotation directly to stellar circumpolar
motion.

2) it moves at a changing rate round the Sun which varies from the
mean by the EOT.

The asymmetry between one axial rotation and the next as determined by
longitude meridian alignments using the Sun as a reference generates
the concept of a natural unequal day.The Equation of Time permits the
seamless transition from one 24 hour day to the next using the noon
determination when a longitude meridian rotates to face the Sun
directly.As it is noon at any given moment at a longitude location
stretching from pole to pole,the determination of this event is always
the same even if the natural day varies subsequently the analemma is
irrelevant.

As Newton,distinguishes between the natural unequal day and the 24
hour clock day in terms of the distinction between absolute time and
relative time the deviation by your countrymen to adopt the 1905
concept is tantamount to an act of betrayal of your heritage.

"Absolute time, in astronomy, is distinguished from relative, by the
equation or correlation of the vulgar time. For the natural days are
truly unequal, though they are commonly considered as equal and used
for a measure of time; astronomers correct this inequality for their
more accurate deducing of the celestial motions. It may be, that there
is no such thing as an equable motion, whereby time may be accurately
measured." Principia

3) Clocks are regulated to measure according to the mean of solar
days. In a year solar time and clock time will record the same number
of days.

As a siderealist you place emphasis on the Sun's motion rather than
keep your eye on the motions of the Earth,both axial rotation and it's
motion through its orbital path.Because siderealism is
quasi-geocentric it is the inability to treat the development of
clocks in terms of how 24 hours/360 degrees or 1 hour/15 degrees refer
to axial rotation using the Sun as a reference which justifies
consideration that those who adopt the rotation of the Earth through
360 degrees in 23 hours 56 min as comparable to creationists and
geocentrists.

Siderealism is the exception insofar as it is not a minority group but
is held as a mainstream view even though the institutions, such as the
Royal Observatory ,involved in maintaining Harrison's clocks (which
are based on the 24 hours /360 degree equivalency) deviate from the
basic premise known to all.All websites dealing with the longitude
problem and the development of clocks propose the precision of the
rotation of the Earth in 24 hours per 360 degrees exactly,the
reluctance or refusal of the RGO and its satellite institution to come
out and say the Earth rotates on it's axis in 24 hours is notable and
an indication of its siderealist tendencies.It is a matter of
comparing the tepid treatment of the longitude problem with the
statement based on the sidereal value where this becomes most obvious.

http://www.nmm.ac.uk/site/navId/00500300l005001000

http://www.nmm.ac.uk/site/request/se...d/005001000002

What's the problem? As long as you know the frame of reference of the
time system being used their should be no confusion and it is an easy
matter to convert from that frame to either of the others. The fact
that the Sun will seldom be on the meridian at noon clocktime may not
be known to the general public and is not generally accepted as an
excuse for being late for work.

Again,you display siderealist tendencies by placing emphasis the
motion of the Sun rather than the geometry and geography of the Earth.

'Frames of reference' indicate why relativists are siderealists,the
sidereal value of 23 hours 56 min is based on the rotation of the
Earth through 360 degrees in 24 hours,relativity tethers the Earth's
rotation directly to stellar circumpolar motion and therefore is a
quasi-geocentric outlook.Again,basic statements such as the 24
hours/360 degree equivalency are basic statement beyond which it is
not possible to reduce further,relativity deviates from this basic
premise and generates concepts which are intellectually destructive.

Cheers

Martin

--------------
Martin Frey
N 51 02 E 0 47
--------------

The rich English heritage in the development of clocks based on the
equivalency of 24 hours and 360 degrees by taking advantage of the
geometry of the Earth now appears absent in contemporary thinking even
though historically and observationally they once occupied the
thoughts of some of the greatest minds in science. I assume most have
become familiar with Dava Sobel's treatment of the topic but not be
clear on the aspect that is absent from her work namely the Equation
of Time which permits the whole system to work.

I do not correspond with siderealist views no more than I would
correspond with creationist views,unfortunately the mainstream views
are relativistic based and hence are quasi-geocentric and
siderealistic.