[fitsbits] Representation of polarimetry data in WCS

Old April 26th 06, 09:03 PM posted to sci.astro.fits

Default [fitsbits] Representation of polarimetry data in WCS

On Wed, April 26, 2006 9:25 am, Malcolm J. Currie wrote:
My preference was not to have a Stokes axis, because each element
measures a different thing.

Whether each element measures a different thing is very much a
matter of perspective :-) Each element on the Stokes axis is a
(linear combination of) time averages of various products of
the two components of the electric field. To me that's no less
different than measurements at different frequencies/wavelength
or different positions. That's perhaps just slightly less evident
with true Stokes parameters than with the natural output of a
correlation system (XX*, XY*, YX*, YY*, which I think also
have their own Stokes code in the standard), but still easily
good enough by my standards.

This is probably more natural to a radio-astronomer since coherent
amplification allows all these parameters to be measured simultaneously,
but I'd argue that it's a very useful point of view. Of course
you might instead just conclude that radio-astronomers had undue
influence on the early development of FITS :-)

swift grb data rules out beamed theory sean Astronomy Misc 11 April 3rd 06 10:29 PM
BWAAHAHA!!! 51L questions answered... [email protected] History 10 March 13th 05 02:26 AM
Pioneer 10 test of light speed delay ralph sansbury Astronomy Misc 131 March 3rd 05 10:15 PM
Space Shuttle ypauls Misc 3 March 15th 04 01:12 AM
A single data point. Rich SETI 2 October 8th 03 06:02 AM