Miscellaneous Rare Pics and Perhaps Unique Movie Sequences

Old February 25th 07, 04:40 PM posted to sci.astro,sci.astro.amateur
Jason H.

Default Miscellaneous Rare Pics and Perhaps Unique Movie Sequences

It's cloudy here, and Cassini hasn't (IMO) been so stimulating lately,
so I thought I'd rummage through some old raw images I grabbed awhile
back from the constantly changing raw picture pages on the Cassini
site, some of which may no longer be available on the Cassini site:

Perhaps they don't have this one because it's hard to classify, but it
looks nice

http://www.setisociety.org/twosaturnmoons.jpg

I liked the way the ring shadows played against Saturn in this next
one

http://www.setisociety.org/saturnW00012429.jpg

This next one you can find this next one on the Cassini site, but
probably not raw

http://www.setisociety.org/TethysN00047244.jpg

Not the prettiest (which is why you might not see on on the Cassini
site) but I like the way the exposed the dark side on this next one

http://www.setisociety.org/tethysN00037656.jpg

and checkout the cracks on this one

http://www.setisociety.org/N00047224.jpg

Over the years I've posted a couple of astronomy pics and animations
in gif format and now that windoze has killed my gif player (even when
I check "play animations" in the browser) I've redone the following as
windoze movies from the raw images, which are perhaps less lossy
looking:

Mimas moving with the Saturn's rings in the background

http://www.setisociety.org/mimasagainsttherings.wmv

An this next one, which was taken on Cassini's approach to Titan

http://www.setisociety.org/approachingTitan.wmv

There is a better processed version of this Mimas approach someplace
on the Cassini site, but this jumpy/annoying one I made from raw
frames as they came in from the spacecraft

http://www.setisociety.org/approachingMimas.wmv

This next was Dione, but I don't remember the other moon:

http://www.setisociety.org/DioneConjunction.wmv

Here is an Epimethius conjunction in raw frames (perhaps that is water
ice/snow on the leading edges of the moons that is swept up while
orbiting, maybe from Enceladus?)

http://www.setisociety.org/EpimetheusConjuntion.wmv

And finally, here's a sequence of SOHO frames I put together of comet
Bradfield passing the sun (I didn't see this on the the SOHO comet
movie page, but this comet had wow-factor!)

http://www.setisociety.org/COMETBRADFIELD.wmv

Hopefully somebody here hasn't seen some of the above or finds them
interesting. It's cloudy out, and it was something Astronomy-related
for me to do Astronomy-wise (ie. sequencing the shots in movie-maker
and scrounging for oldies-but-goodies.)

Enjoy, Jason H.

Old February 25th 07, 05:34 PM posted to sci.astro,sci.astro.amateur
John Nichols

"Jason H." wrote in message
ps.com...
It's cloudy here, and Cassini hasn't (IMO) been so stimulating lately,
so I thought I'd rummage through some old raw images I grabbed awhile
back from the constantly changing raw picture pages on the Cassini
site, some of which may no longer be available on the Cassini site:

snip

Thanks for sharing!

Old February 25th 07, 07:52 PM posted to sci.astro,sci.astro.amateur
Davoud[_1_]

Nice pics. Er, uh, the SETI Society is focusing on Saturn's moons?
Might as well, I guess; they're as likely to find ET there as anywhere
else.

Davoud

--
usenet *at* davidillig dawt com
Old February 25th 07, 09:47 PM posted to sci.astro,sci.astro.amateur
TMA[_2_]

"Davoud" wrote in message
Nice pics. Er, uh, the SETI Society is focusing on Saturn's moons?
Might as well, I guess; they're as likely to find ET there as anywhere
else.

Gravity waves too...