Extra food?

Old December 20th 06, 08:25 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Eric Carlisle

Default Extra food?

I was wonder if Nasa packs extra food on board in case the crew has to stay
on orbit longer than expected, like on this mission.

Old December 20th 06, 09:33 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Brian Gaff

How much is extra though. It surely depends on appetite.

I was interested to se that I was right about a tool being lost on one of
the space walks as well as the camera. If they know where they are, its a
pity they do not have a niftly little robot like those sphere things they
tested, that could pop off and grab the items and stow them safely.

Brian

Email:

. ..

Old December 20th 06, 01:54 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Herb Schaltegger[_1_]

On Wed, 20 Dec 2006 02:25:21 -0600, Eric Carlisle wrote
(in article ):

I was wonder if Nasa packs extra food on board in case the crew has to stay
on orbit longer than expected, like on this mission.

I don't think food is the limiting consumable. I believe the limiting
factor is cryogenic oxygen and hydrogen for the fuel cells.

--
Herb Schaltegger
"You can run on for a long time . . . sooner or later, God'll cut you

Old December 20th 06, 08:08 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Danny Deger

"Herb Schaltegger" wrote in
message .com...
On Wed, 20 Dec 2006 02:25:21 -0600, Eric Carlisle wrote
(in article ):

I was wonder if Nasa packs extra food on board in case the crew has to
stay
on orbit longer than expected, like on this mission.

I don't think food is the limiting consumable. I believe the limiting
factor is cryogenic oxygen and hydrogen for the fuel cells.

--

Last I heard is a "human" can go 40 days and 40 nights without food :-)

Danny Deger

Old December 20th 06, 08:13 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Craig Fink

On Wed, 20 Dec 2006 14:08:41 -0600, Danny Deger wrote:
Last I heard is a "human" can go 40 days and 40 nights without food :-)

lol, maybe longer if they're overweight, it's the air that's the problem. ;-)
Old December 20th 06, 09:17 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Pascal Bourguignon

Craig Fink writes:

On Wed, 20 Dec 2006 14:08:41 -0600, Danny Deger wrote:
Last I heard is a "human" can go 40 days and 40 nights without food :-)

lol, maybe longer if they're overweight, it's the air that's the problem. ;-)

Well, air: 2 minutes
water: 2 days
food: 2 months

PLEASE NOTE: Some quantum physics theories suggest that when the
consumer is not directly observing this product, it may cease to
exist or will exist only in a vague and undetermined state.
Old December 21st 06, 12:49 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle
robert casey

lol, maybe longer if they're overweight, it's the air that's the problem. ;-)

Well, air: 2 minutes
water: 2 days
food: 2 months

I doubt that an astronaut would be in good enough condition to land a
shuttle after that.

Old December 21st 06, 03:18 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Danny Deger

"robert casey" wrote in message
nk.net...

lol, maybe longer if they're overweight, it's the air that's the problem.
;-)

Well, air: 2 minutes
water: 2 days
food: 2 months

I doubt that an astronaut would be in good enough condition to land a
shuttle after that.

They don't have to land. They just need to lower the landing gear.

Danny Deger

Old December 21st 06, 04:49 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Jorge R. Frank

"Danny Deger" wrote in
:

"robert casey" wrote in message
nk.net...

lol, maybe longer if they're overweight, it's the air that's the
problem. ;-)

Well, air: 2 minutes
water: 2 days
food: 2 months

I doubt that an astronaut would be in good enough condition to land a
shuttle after that.

They don't have to land. They just need to lower the landing gear.

.... and turn on the APUs, deploy the air data probes, etc.

--
JRF

think one step ahead of IBM.

Food for Moon Hoaxers Gareth Slee History 18 December 3rd 05 06:40 PM
Junk Food Fix Double-A Misc 28 June 3rd 05 07:34 PM
JimO re ISS food on Canadian TV Jim Oberg Space Station 0 December 13th 04 09:35 PM
aliens food needs Alex.Yates Solar 0 June 29th 04 05:33 PM
really fast food Brian Gaff Space Shuttle 2 September 8th 03 05:36 PM