Digital Sundial!

Old January 5th 16, 02:59 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
palsing[_2_]

Default Digital Sundial!

This is pretty cool and very unexpected...

http://tinyurl.com/jf3apys

-or-

http://gizmodo.com/a-3d-printed-digi...ampaign=buffer

\Paul A
Old January 5th 16, 07:50 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
RichA[_6_]

On Monday, 4 January 2016 21:59:22 UTC-5, palsing wrote:
This is pretty cool and very unexpected...

http://tinyurl.com/jf3apys

-or-

http://gizmodo.com/a-3d-printed-digi...ampaign=buffer

\Paul A

Clever, but why make it on a 3D printer? It just means it will cost 10x as much as conventional manufacturing.
Old January 5th 16, 08:19 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Tue, 5 Jan 2016 11:50:47 -0800 (PST), RichA
wrote:

On Monday, 4 January 2016 21:59:22 UTC-5, palsing wrote:
This is pretty cool and very unexpected...

http://tinyurl.com/jf3apys

-or-

http://gizmodo.com/a-3d-printed-digi...ampaign=buffer

\Paul A

Clever, but why make it on a 3D printer? It just means it will cost 10x as much as conventional manufacturing.

How would you make this with "conventional" manufacturing? Very long,
very small diameter holes are not easily machined. I doubt you would
find a method less expensive than 3D printing. (I make lots of small
parts using 3D printing, at a fraction of the cost if I sent them out
to a machine shop. It can be very economical.)
Old January 6th 16, 02:57 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

On Tuesday, January 5, 2016 at 2:50:49 PM UTC-5, RichA wrote:
On Monday, 4 January 2016 21:59:22 UTC-5, palsing wrote:
This is pretty cool and very unexpected...

http://tinyurl.com/jf3apys

-or-

http://gizmodo.com/a-3d-printed-digi...ampaign=buffer

\Paul A

Clever, but why make it on a 3D printer?

Why make it at all?

It just means it will cost 10x as much as conventional manufacturing.

Problem solved:

http://www.gearbest.com/sports-led-w...gV gQodSBIJgw

(It works 24/7/365, not just between 10 am to 4 pm on sunny days.)
Old January 6th 16, 04:36 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Bill[_9_]

On Mon, 4 Jan 2016 18:59:19 -0800 (PST), palsing wrote:

This is pretty cool and very unexpected...

http://tinyurl.com/jf3apys

-or-

http://gizmodo.com/a-3d-printed-digi...ampaign=buffer

\Paul A

That is neat!
--
Email address is a Spam trap.
Old January 6th 16, 05:55 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Martin Brown

http://gizmodo.com/a-3d-printed-digi...a-c-1750182339

\Paul A

Clever, but why make it on a 3D printer?

Why make it at all?

I'd have expected a Luddite like you to appreciate it more than most.

It is a rather elegant digital variation on a classic sundial that is
really only made possible with modern 3d printing technology.

It just means it will cost 10x as much as conventional manufacturing.

Problem solved:

http://www.gearbest.com/sports-led-w...gV gQodSBIJgw

(It works 24/7/365, not just between 10 am to 4 pm on sunny days.)

The whole point of a sundial is that it uses the sun.
The clue is in the name.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old January 6th 16, 06:38 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

On Wednesday, January 6, 2016 at 12:55:51 PM UTC-5, Martin Brown wrote:
On 06/01/2016 14:57, wsnell01 wrote:
On Tuesday, January 5, 2016 at 2:50:49 PM UTC-5, RichA wrote:
On Monday, 4 January 2016 21:59:22 UTC-5, palsing wrote:
This is pretty cool and very unexpected...

http://tinyurl.com/jf3apys

-or-

http://gizmodo.com/a-3d-printed-digi...a-c-1750182339

\Paul A

Clever, but why make it on a 3D printer?

Why make it at all?

I'd have expected a Luddite like you to appreciate it more than most.

I'm no Luddite, but that sundial seems useless.

This one is much better in almost every way:

http://www.yardenvy.com/p/Cast_Iron_...FVUlgQodw-sOKg

It is a rather elegant digital variation on a classic sundial that is
really only made possible with modern 3d printing technology.

It only tells time in 20 minute increments, for six hours out of the day.

It just means it will cost 10x as much as conventional manufacturing.

Problem solved:

http://www.gearbest.com/sports-led-w...gV gQodSBIJgw

(It works 24/7/365, not just between 10 am to 4 pm on sunny days.)

The whole point of a sundial is that it uses the sun.
The clue is in the name.

I assumed, for some silly reason, that sundials are supposed to be useful for telling the time while also serving as garden decorations.

That one only "uses the Sun" for part of the time and is less useful than any of these:

http://www.angelfire.com/my/zelime/sundials.html

Old January 6th 16, 10:04 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
palsing[_2_]

On Wednesday, January 6, 2016 at 6:57:31 AM UTC-8, wrote:
On Tuesday, January 5, 2016 at 2:50:49 PM UTC-5, RichA wrote:
On Monday, 4 January 2016 21:59:22 UTC-5, palsing wrote:
This is pretty cool and very unexpected...

http://tinyurl.com/jf3apys

-or-

http://gizmodo.com/a-3d-printed-digi...ampaign=buffer

\Paul A

Clever, but why make it on a 3D printer?

Why make it at all?

Because it is clever and very unique? Because no one I know has ever seen anything like it before? Because it undoubtedly would be quite a good conversation piece?

Why make any type of sundial at all? After all, like you have shown, any of them can be supplanted by a $1.45 led watch...

Perhaps you are just missing the point, which is the most likely explanation.

It just means it will cost 10x as much as conventional manufacturing.

Problem solved:

http://www.gearbest.com/sports-led-w...gV gQodSBIJgw

(It works 24/7/365, not just between 10 am to 4 pm on sunny days.)

Actually, this might be a good star party watch, if its not too bright. For $1.45 each, I'll get 2 and report back...
Old January 6th 16, 11:19 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

On Wednesday, January 6, 2016 at 5:04:18 PM UTC-5, palsing wrote:
On Wednesday, January 6, 2016 at 6:57:31 AM UTC-8, wrote:
On Tuesday, January 5, 2016 at 2:50:49 PM UTC-5, RichA wrote:
On Monday, 4 January 2016 21:59:22 UTC-5, palsing wrote:
This is pretty cool and very unexpected...

http://tinyurl.com/jf3apys

-or-

http://gizmodo.com/a-3d-printed-digi...ampaign=buffer

\Paul A

Clever, but why make it on a 3D printer?

Why make it at all?

Because it is clever and very unique? Because no one I know has ever seen anything like it before? Because it undoubtedly would be quite a good conversation piece?

Why make any type of sundial at all? After all, like you have shown, any of them can be supplanted by a $1.45 led watch...

Perhaps you are just missing the point, which is the most likely explanation.

Or perhaps you are missing the point:

The "novelty" of the device wears off very quickly and its usefulness proves to be quite limited.

It gives an incorrect time, most of the time.

You should not be critical of those who point such things out.
Old January 7th 16, 12:21 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
palsing[_2_]

On Wednesday, January 6, 2016 at 3:19:20 PM UTC-8, wrote:
On Wednesday, January 6, 2016 at 5:04:18 PM UTC-5, palsing wrote:

Or perhaps you are missing the point:

Well, not likely, since I'm the guy who made the point in the first place, and I can confidently stand by it.

The "novelty" of the device wears off very quickly and its usefulness proves to be quite limited.

Perhaps, perhaps not, but still, it is a marvelous work of design, and that will always be the case.

It gives an incorrect time, most of the time.

As do all simple sundials...

You should not be critical of those who point such things out.

I'm pretty sure that everything you have stated here regarding this sundial is essentially correct, and everyone here fully understands the limitations of this device, and yet, no one else made any critical remarks whatsoever.. Almost everyone else here had positive comments, like "clever", "neat", ".... a rather elegant digital variation...", which is why I made the post in the first place. You don't think it is any of those things? It IS all of those things, and I had a desire to share what I thought others here might also enjoy!

You, on the other hand, apparently failed to find any positive attributes about this sundial at all, which pretty much sums up almost all of your activity on this forum. You grumble and grouse about almost every topic presented here, whatever that topic might be, and continue to do so ad nauseam. At this point in time you are mostly just annoying and tiresome. That's my perspective, and therefore my reality... and I doubt I'm alone in this thinking.

If the word "incorrect" were to be banned, you would be rendered almost speechless!

So, why are you here at all? Some perverse form of pleasure on your part? I don't know what's eating you, but it's gonna get sick one of these days.

BTW, you never answered the question I posed to you; Why make or buy any kind of sundial at all?