Current status of shuttle programme ?

Old November 13th 05, 06:50 AM
John Doe

Default Current status of shuttle programme ?

There have been manyu discussions, trial balloons etc about the future
of the shuttle. Would it fly only twice a year for MPLM and crew
exchanges, woudl it fly 6 times a year ? Would it go to Hubble, would it
complete the station, partial completion ?

The recent announcement that allows NASA to buy seats on Soyuz
certaintly does not eliminate speculation that the shuttle could be terminated.

With a crew of only 2, crew exchanges can easily be done as part of
assembly flights. So offloading crew exchanges to the russians doesn't
really reduce the number of flights needed. And cutting MPLM flights
greatly reduces what can be done. (unless the americans could also
purchase progress flights to compensate.

If the next shuttle cannot liftoff without shedding foam, I can see some
serious debate ensuing.

Could the shuttle truly be cancelled before its next flight in may 2006
? Or is it a pretty safe bet that this flight will go through ?
Old November 13th 05, 10:35 AM
Brian Gaff

Would there not be some serious litigation if the modules for other
countries cannot be launched? We already know some parts will not fly.

I'd imagine they would be very stupid not to fly, if, as it seems, they are
learning stuff about working on vehicles etc. I read the Soyuz buy as a way
to be independent of the Shuttle schedules. In other words, crew exchange
could be done on time, albeit with only two.

The future of three crew might need to be looked at, as if you have any more
spaceflight participants needing to go, and Shuttle brings up a third
person, you are in a situation that the next Soyuz with a participant would
mean an emergency evacuation of all crew would create some problems ie,
can you actually control two Soyuz to reenty at the same time?

Brian

Email:

Old November 13th 05, 12:46 PM
Bob Haller

Note: No one ever talks of a full crew of 3, now talk is at best what
can we get away with...

soyuz progress could help support shuttles immediate retirement,
although it will probably have to fly once more, and shed some more
foam to kill the program properly.

given shuttles trouble I HOPE progress soyuz production is ramped up.
for emergencies. having a couple nearly finshed in stock can save
lives..

Old November 13th 05, 10:59 PM

Or : http://webpages.charter.net/tsiolkovsky/rocket.htm

Old November 14th 05, 06:48 AM
Jorge R. Frank

John Doe wrote in :

There have been manyu discussions, trial balloons etc about the future
of the shuttle.

The following facts are available from public sources:

STS-121 (ISS ULF-1.1) and STS-115 (ISS 12A) are on schedule for launch in
May and July 2006, respectively. The ET debris tiger teams are making good
progress.

NASA has developed an 18+1 (18 ISS + 1 HST) manifest for the remainder of
the program. It has been approved by the White House and is being reviewed
by the ISS partners. It will not be formally published until the partners
are happy. The partners would like to move their elements earlier in the
ISS assembly sequence. NASA is studying options that could accommodate
this.

Congress has just approved an FY06 NASA budget that fully funds the space
shuttle program. FY07 is likewise in good shape. There is a budget issue
with FY08-10, amounting to a $5 billion shortfall. This is due to
acceleration of CEV from 2014 to 2012, and because anticipated savings from
the end of the shuttle program are not materializing. NASA is studying
whether the cost could be absorbed internally or possibly requesting more
funds for FY08-10. If those options are not possible, NASA has submitted a
plan to OMB that calls for eight shuttle flights. However, Griffin has made
it clear that this is a last resort, and on the surface is not very
economical - it reduces the remaining shuttle budget from $20 billion to
$15 billion yet reduces the number of flights from 19 to 8.

Beyond those publically known facts there is not a lot of use in
speculation.

--
JRF

think one step ahead of IBM.
Old November 14th 05, 02:59 PM
Herb Schaltegger

On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 23:48:35 -0600, Jorge R. Frank wrote
(in article ):

Beyond those publically known facts there is not a lot of use in
speculation

Since when has that ever stopped Mezei (and Bbo Hallbre, for that
matter) from ranting and babbling incoherently?

--
"Fame may be fleeting but obscurity is forever." ~Anonymous
"I believe as little as possible and know as much as I can."

Old November 14th 05, 04:09 PM
Bob Haller

lets not forget the bush adminstrations public comment, we wouldnt be
upset if shuttle never flies again.

or that public discussion of cutting shuttle to 2 flights max per year,
about 12 tops, mostly resupply of essential supplies, links from nasa
watch were posted here for both of these. this would go along with
major workforce reductions.

Of course when the next flight sheds foam, even if no damage is done
that will be the end of the useless, costly shuttle..

its outlived its usefulness

Old November 14th 05, 04:32 PM
Jorge R. Frank

"Bob Haller" wrote in news:1131980988.489644.41660
@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

lets not forget the bush adminstrations public comment, we wouldnt be
upset if shuttle never flies again.

"Public" comment? Incorrect. That was a fifth-hand private account, at
least one of which was anonymous (allegedly Bush-Card-Griffin-unnamed
sources-Cowing), that no reputable media have deigned coverage-worthy, and
that no one in the Administration has been willing to stand behind.

or that public discussion of cutting shuttle to 2 flights max per year,
about 12 tops, mostly resupply of essential supplies, links from nasa
watch were posted here for both of these. this would go along with
major workforce reductions.

That was the OMB study I was talking about, Bbo. Your reading comprehension
is apparently not good enough to figure that out.

--
JRF

think one step ahead of IBM.
Old November 14th 05, 05:58 PM
Brian Thorn

On 14 Nov 2005 07:09:48 -0800, "Bob Haller" wrote:

lets not forget the bush adminstrations public comment, we wouldnt be
upset if shuttle never flies again.

or that public discussion of cutting shuttle to 2 flights max per year,
about 12 tops, mostly resupply of essential supplies,

Actually, in that case the remaining flights would launch the
remaining key elements (at least one more solar segment, Node 2,
Columbus, etc.)

Resupply and crew exchange would be offloaded from Shuttle.

Brian
Old November 14th 05, 06:11 PM

When would the HST repair flight be flown?? And what STS-# would it be
designated?