The Astronomer Triangle

Old November 19th 04, 03:30 AM
Florian

All of the above.

-Florian

Old November 19th 04, 03:30 AM
Mark Elkington

Default The Astronomer Triangle

The Astronomer Triangle

A very off-the-cuff categorisation attempt :-)

* Type 1 - The Aesthetic Astronomer: enjoyment of visual beauty

- naked eye, binocular and rich field scope views of Milky Way
- sun, moon and planets
- coloured stars
- large aperture scope on showpiece globulars, nebula and galaxies
- astrophotography

* Type 2 - The Abstract Astronomer: contemplation of reality

- planets
- stars
- DSOs
- cosmology, physics, metaphysics

* Type 3 - The Practical Astronomer: technical and practical pursuits

- astronomical events (e.g. occultations)
- social events
- astronomical data, tables, charts
- ATM
- gear junkies
- historians
- astrophotgraphy techniques
- astronomy maths and science

* Hybrid Types: Type 2/3, Type 1/2/3 etc

Mark

PS Allowing for 4-sided triangles in other parts of the universe:

* Type 4 - The Ascetic Astronomer: alt/az 60-80mm APO at subzero temps ;-)
Old November 19th 04, 03:34 AM
Mark D

Hmmm, I think you're missing about 5 other categories. Maybe you should
call it the Astronomer "Octagon" instead? lol Mark

Old November 19th 04, 04:13 AM
starlord

And he missed the Sidewalk Astronomer!

--

The Forgotten
http://home.inreach.com/starlord/forgotten.htm

"Tim Auton" wrote in message
(Mark Elkington) wrote:

The Astronomer Triangle

A very off-the-cuff categorisation attempt :-)

I'll take the buffet thankyouverymuchindeed.

Tim
--
Foo.

---

Old November 19th 04, 03:50 PM
Tom Polakis

Mark Elkington wrote:

The Astronomer Triangle

A very off-the-cuff categorisation attempt :-)

Mark,

A related posting was done by Tony Flanders: "A Taxonomy of Amateur Astronomers"

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...dej anews.com

....if that doesn't work, just search s.a.a. for January 28, 1999.

Tom
Old November 19th 04, 06:59 PM
Ed T

"Mark Elkington" wrote in message
om...
The Astronomer Triangle

A very off-the-cuff categorisation attempt :-)

* Type 1 - The Aesthetic Astronomer: enjoyment of visual beauty
* Type 2 - The Abstract Astronomer: contemplation of reality
* Type 3 - The Practical Astronomer: technical and practical pursuits

I think you're on to something. I have always differentiated between the
scientific and the aesthetic appeal, I guess the philosophical and
technological aspects need to be added as well. Maybe we all vary along
these four axis:

Type 1. Scientist: Drawn by the need to understand through observation and
analysis.
Type 2. Experientialist: Drawn by the sensory experience of the night sky.
Type 3. Seeker: Drawn by the contemplative aspects of the activity.
Type 4. Equipment Junkie: Drawn by the charm of precision glass, metal and
wood.

Of course there are all manner of combinations of the above.

Ed T.

Old November 19th 04, 07:05 PM
Jan Owen

"Ed T" wrote in message
ink.net...
..
Type 2. Experientialist: Drawn by the sensory experience of the night

sky.

That's me...

I'm a Type 2 Diabetic, too. I guess I'm just a Type 2 kinda' guy...
--
Jan Owen

To reach me directly, remove the Z, if one appears in my e-mail address...
Latitude: 33.662
Longitude: -112.3272