More Methane on Mars

Old November 12th 04, 05:26 PM
Thomas Lee Elifritz

Default More Methane on Mars

November 12, 2004

http://skyandtelescope.com/news/article_1389_1.asp

Thomas Lee Elifritz
http://elifritz.members.atlantic.net

Old November 13th 04, 08:38 AM
Rob

I think this is old news? Why is S&T suddenly catching on?

Old November 13th 04, 08:50 AM
George Dishman

Thomas Lee Elifritz wrote:

November 12, 2004

http://skyandtelescope.com/news/article_1389_1.asp

quote

The results were presented this week ...

.... Mumma and his colleagues detected methane at
a level of 250 parts per billion in equatorial
latitudes north of the Hellas impact basin.
Further observations conducted with the 8-meter
Gemini South telescope in Chile also revealed
elevated methane concentrations over Valles
Marineris.

.... These methane concentrations are much higher
than those previously reported. In both locations,
Mumma's group identified two spectral lines due
to methane, which minimizes the possibility of a
false detection.

/quote

Preious results were much lower (~35 ppb?) and
only detected by a single line so might have been
a false alarm.

George

Old November 13th 04, 01:12 PM
Jon S. Berndt

Question: do the MGS and Mars Odyssey imaging systems have the capability to
resolve a cow? I've got a theory, but I'm not ready to discuss it, yet...
;-)

Jon

Old November 13th 04, 01:28 PM
Thomas Lee Elifritz

November 13, 2004

Rob wrote:

I think this is old news?

Notice the (M)ore in Methane.

Why is S&T suddenly catching on?

Because additional observations have been reported, with higher and more
accurate results?

It's science news. These are science newsgroups.

Old November 13th 04, 01:46 PM
Thomas Lee Elifritz

November 13, 2004

"Jon S. Berndt" wrote:

Question: do the MGS and Mars Odyssey imaging systems have the capability to
resolve a cow? I've got a theory, but I'm not ready to discuss it, yet...

I look forward to a future where this thread is thousands of entries long, and
people are discussing Hitler's farts.

plonk

Old November 13th 04, 02:01 PM
John Thingstad

On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 07:12:18 -0600, Jon S. Berndt jsb.at.hal-pc-dot.org
wrote:

Question: do the MGS and Mars Odyssey imaging systems have the
capability to
resolve a cow? I've got a theory, but I'm not ready to discuss it, yet...
;-)

Jon

lol
Cow's fart up Mars? They must be more technically advanced than they put
on!

Old November 13th 04, 03:01 PM
rick++

I same the global map at the GSA a few days ago.
The weird thing is the methane abundance varies systematically with longnitude,
e.g. one side of Mars is gassy and the other side low. This doesnt correspond
with the major geological trends which are latitudnal.
Old November 13th 04, 04:24 PM
John Thingstad

On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 08:50:08 -0000, George Dishman
wrote:

quote

The results were presented this week ...

... Mumma and his colleagues detected methane at
a level of 250 parts per billion in equatorial
latitudes north of the Hellas impact basin.
Further observations conducted with the 8-meter
Gemini South telescope in Chile also revealed
elevated methane concentrations over Valles
Marineris.

... These methane concentrations are much higher
than those previously reported. In both locations,
Mumma's group identified two spectral lines due
to methane, which minimizes the possibility of a
false detection.

/quote

Preious results were much lower (~35 ppb?) and
only detected by a single line so might have been
a false alarm.

George

Well the 'life on Mars' theory might cath on
if this proves to be true and is recognised as
a sign of life.
Let's hope this put's some fire under the buts
of the peaple that are still trying to delay a manned
mission to Mars.

Old November 13th 04, 04:27 PM
John Thingstad

On 13 Nov 2004 07:01:30 -0800, rick++ wrote:

I same the global map at the GSA a few days ago.
The weird thing is the methane abundance varies systematically with
longnitude,
e.g. one side of Mars is gassy and the other side low. This doesnt
correspond
with the major geological trends which are latitudnal.

Geological? Don't you mean meteorological?
Seems to me the prevailing winds would determine
how the methane was distributes with respect to the point of origin.