Would it have been better to have ISS in lunar orbit?

Old April 26th 09, 01:27 PM posted to sci.space.history
[email protected]

Default Would it have been better to have ISS in lunar orbit?

Not that it really matters now but I just thought I'd throw the
question out? I always thought it would have been better to have put
the ISS in lunar orbit. Probably have had to be a smaller version but
it seems there would be more work to do on the moon than endlessly
whirling around the Earth. Before we could establish a sustainable
base on the moon we would have to establish a sustainable presence in
lunar orbit it would seem.
Old April 26th 09, 05:30 PM posted to sci.space.history
BradGuth

On Apr 26, 5:27*am, wrote:
Not that it really matters now but I just thought I'd throw the
question out? I always thought it would have been better to have put
the ISS in lunar orbit. Probably have had to be a smaller version but
it seems there would be more work to do on the moon than endlessly
whirling around the Earth. Before we could establish a sustainable
base on the moon we would have to establish a sustainable presence in
lunar orbit it would seem.

Way too hot and otherwise excessively gamma and X-ray saturated, not
to mention the surrounding hot and electrostatic charged sodium
atmosphere that would get into or coating upon most everything that
was exposed.

The Selene/moon L1 as the gateway/outpost/oasis could easily become
orbit managed as efficient enough, although even hotter and perhaps
nearly 10% as gamma and X-ray irradiated.

A Clarke Station or especially that of my tethered LSE-CM/ISS would
more than do the trick, and then some.

~ BG
Old April 27th 09, 05:31 PM posted to sci.space.history
David Spain

Jorge R. Frank wrote:
2) Numerous architecture studies have confirmed that a lunar base has no
requirement for a station in LLO.

Cites please? I'd be very interested in reading those, thanks.

3) Expensive. Cost cannot be justified. If added to the architecture,
increases the chances that budget pressure would result in the whole
thing being cancelled.

But the cost of #2 can be justified? It is immune to budget pressure
exactly how?

Now, there *could* be justification for a small station if Lagrange
point rendezvous were chosen over LOR. Such a station could enable
reusability of the landers. But that is not the architecture that has
been chosen and such a station would not provide the same benefit in LLO
since it would not always be accessible to the base.

That's interesting but I agree about the lack of benefit in LLO.
Do you have any references for this proposal? I'd like to read about it.

Dave