ASTRO: Galaxy Cluster Abell 260 - negative image.

Old November 26th 06, 06:06 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George Normandin[_1_]

Default ASTRO: Galaxy Cluster Abell 260 - negative image.

Here's the same image shown as a negative, with a few of the brightest
galaxies ID'ed.

Elliptical Galaxy IC 1733 is by far the largest and brightest galaxy in
Galaxy Cluster Abell 260. Located at the center of the cluster this massive
system is a "Cluster Dominant Elliptical" of a type similar to M-87. Nearby
companion Spiral Galaxy IC 1735 was the host of Supernova 2006je (found in
October 2006). This peculiar type Ia supernova had already faded from view
when this image was taken on Nov 22, 2006. The image shows only the central
portion of Galaxy Cluster Abell 260. Spread over an area of 50 arc minutes
this cluster contains about 160 galaxies, a number of which are seen in the
image. Based on the published red shift I calculated a rough distance
estimate of 562 million light years and at that distance IC 1733 would be a
huge 228,000 light years, but that would not be surprising for a cluster
dominant elliptical with over a trillion stars.

George N

Attached Images
File Type: jpg I1735bw.jpg (283.9 KB, 182 views)
Old November 26th 06, 06:21 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Doug W.

Bunch of faint guys there. George. Happy to see you guys getting the 20"
back to working order.

--
Regards, Doug W.
www.photonsfate.com

Old November 26th 06, 07:09 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

I've tried turning some of my galaxy fields to negatives to better show
the faint fuzzies but for some reason they show poorly in the negative
compared to the positive. Thus I used the positive to ID the faint
fuzzies in my NGC 185 shot I posted a couple days ago. I don't know what
I'm doing wrong.

I should work on some galaxy clusters. So far only the Hercules cluster
is in my collection. Went for it as spirals are more interesting than
the elipticals that seem to dominate most clusters. Least to me they
are are more interesting.

Rick

Old November 29th 06, 01:29 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George Normandin[_1_]

"Doug W." wrote
Bunch of faint guys there. George. Happy to see you guys getting the 20"
back to working order.

Doug,

The 20RC is almost back to normal....... just in time for the winter snow
storms! If the Roberson Museum closes Kopernik you'll probably be able to
buy the scope cheap on AstroMart!

George N

Old November 29th 06, 01:29 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George Normandin[_1_]

"Rick Johnson" wrote
I've tried turning some of my galaxy fields to negatives to better show
the faint fuzzies but for some reason they show poorly in the negative
compared to the positive. Thus I used the positive to ID the faint
fuzzies in my NGC 185 shot I posted a couple days ago. I don't know what
I'm doing wrong.

Rick,

I paste the final result of processing (usually with a DDP stretch) into
Corel Photopaint, convert to a negative, and then use curves to bring up the
faint end. It looks ugly, but it really shows the dimmest stuff in the
image.

I should work on some galaxy clusters.........

Try 'googling' "Paul Hickson's Atlas of Compact Groups of Galaxies". The 100
Hickson Compact Groups are much loved by owners of big Dobs for visual
challenges, and they also are interesting targets for CCD. Here
(http://www.kopernik.org/images/archive/ngcindex.htm) is my group's archive
of images; our Hickson Group images are listed near the top.

George N

Old November 29th 06, 04:10 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Doug W.

I truly hope that the scope stays put and the obs stays intact.

--
Regards, Doug W.
www.photonsfate.com