Horrible astronomer needs your help (w/ ETX 125)

Old June 24th 04, 07:05 PM
stevo

Default Horrible astronomer needs your help (w/ ETX 125)

Last night was my first semi-successful astronomy experience. (new
Meade ETX 125,UHTC, 4-5-9-15-26-32mm eyepieces).

Jupiter (and moons)... Wow!
Moon ... Wow!

Deep Space (M13 and others)... Never saw them.

I know this is pathetic to admit, but I had a terrible time aligning
my scope (I must have tried it 15 times). Even with meticulous care
in setup (Using a bubble level to level the tripod in all directions,
using the level to level the scope in the home position, using a
compass to set the scope toward north in the home position) I still
didn't get the "Easy" align stars in my 32mm eyepiece. I don't have
the viewfinder and I found it difficult to move the scope around and
find these alignment stars. (I did get it to work once, however).
When I then used the "Guided tour" option to look at some Deep Sky
stuff... nothing. So I'm thinking my alignment was off. I will
purchase the 8 x 25 viewfinder. Another problem that prevented my
seeing the deep stuff was dew. By the time I got there, the lens was
covered in dew and even the moon was fussy.

So, here is a question:

Does the ETX have enough aperture to see deep sky stuff?

When setup properly, can the ETX keep Jupiter in the FOV (using a 9mm
lens)? I was not able to do this last night.

The Autostar controller asks for your nearest city. Would it help to
enter the exact GPS coords for my location (does this improve
tracking)?

Does the dew shield work well?

Thanks

Stephen
Old June 24th 04, 07:17 PM
Scott Kroeppler

Does the ETX have enough aperture to see deep sky stuff?

Absolutely. Start with the Messier list and you should be able to see them
all.

When setup properly, can the ETX keep Jupiter in the FOV

Shouldn't be a problem if properly aligned and if your drives are trained
correctly. See the manual.

The Autostar controller asks for your nearest city. Would it help to
enter the exact GPS coords for my location

Might help but not all that necessary.

Does the dew shield work well?

Sure. Make one out of cardboard and try it before you purchase a good one.
It also helps block out stray light.

Also- Check out Mike Weasner's Mighty ETX site. It will answer every single
question you have and is an excellent resource for any ETX owner.

Good luck & clear skies,
Scott

Old June 24th 04, 08:02 PM
Morris Jones

stevo wrote:
compass to set the scope toward north in the home position) I still

Did you correct for your local magnetic declination?

Does the ETX have enough aperture to see deep sky stuff?

It depends more on your location than your aperture. If you're observing
from a location with a good dark sky, you have plenty of aperture to see
most if not all of the Messier objects. Quick check: How many stars
can you see in the Little Dipper?

The Autostar controller asks for your nearest city. Would it help to
enter the exact GPS coords for my location (does this improve
tracking)?

It should be close enough if you're within 50 miles or so.

Caveat: I'm not an ETX 125 user.

Best regards,
Mojo
--
Morris Jones *
Monrovia, CA

http://www.whiteoaks.com

Old June 24th 04, 08:16 PM
Dimitri I. Rakitine

using a
compass to set the scope toward north in the home position)

You did adjust for magnetic deviation to point it to true north instead of
magnetic one, right ?

Also check out this site for all kinds of ETX info:

http://www.weasner.com/etx/menu.html

--
Dimitri

Old June 24th 04, 08:42 PM
Jon Isaacs

So, here is a question:

Does the ETX have enough aperture to see deep sky stuff?

Definitely. How spectacular it is depends on the level of light pollution but
it is visable in 10x50 binoculars from my backyard in San Diego..

I would start with your 32 mm eyepiece.

When setup properly, can the ETX keep Jupiter in the FOV (using a 9mm
lens)? I was not able to do this last night.

For sure.

I have had 2 ETXs with GOTO over the years. Both would put the alignment stars
in the FOV.

Things to be sure of:

1. You take the time to train the drives. This is important because the scope
needs to figure out how much "slop" there is in the drives.

2. For north make sure you point it at Polaris, this is a bit off but plenty
good.

3. Level it but eyeball is good enough.

What i used to do was set the scope in home position. Center the North Star in
the eyepiece and lock the azimuth axis. Level the Optical tube and lock.

Turn it on and go.

jon

Old June 25th 04, 02:48 AM
William Hamblen

On 2004-06-24, stevo wrote:
I don't have
the viewfinder and I found it difficult to move the scope around and
find these alignment stars. (I did get it to work once, however).
When I then used the "Guided tour" option to look at some Deep Sky
stuff... nothing. So I'm thinking my alignment was off. I will
purchase the 8 x 25 viewfinder.

I thought the ETX125 came with the 8x25 finder. You really do need
a finder even with GOTO. The Meade finder is a little small. I don't
know whether anyone makes a larger finder with a brakcet to fit an
ETX125.

You should get a set of star charts and an observer's handbook (Norton's)
to start with.