Hot Ice Planet???

Old May 18th 07, 01:04 PM posted to sci.physics,sci.astro,sci.chem,sci.logic,alt.english.usage
Prisoner at War

Default Hot Ice Planet???

Help me understand this: it's water, but also frozen by high pressure
-- and thus hot???

http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/space/0...eut/index.html

Old May 18th 07, 01:22 PM posted to sci.physics,sci.astro,sci.chem,sci.logic,alt.english.usage
Greg Neill[_5_]

"Prisoner at War" wrote in message
oups.com...

Help me understand this: it's water, but also frozen by high pressure
-- and thus hot???

http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/space/0...eut/index.html

Well, "hot" is relative... Presumably the investigators
estimated the planet's temperature by taking into
consideration things like proximity to its sun, the sun's
luminosity, the planet's albedo, probable atmosphere, its
mass and likely composition (radionuclids), etc.

Under enough pressure water can remain solid at remarkably
high temperatures. Have a look at the phase diagram at

http://www.lsbu.ac.uk/water/phase.html

At a proposed temperature of 520K, the water must be in
the form of ice VII, X, or XI. I doubt that the pressure
could be high enough for X or XI.

Old May 18th 07, 01:28 PM posted to sci.physics,sci.astro,sci.chem,sci.logic,alt.english.usage
joetaxpayer

Prisoner at War wrote:
Help me understand this: it's water, but also frozen by high pressure
-- and thus hot???

http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/space/0...eut/index.html

yes, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ideal_gas_law
for pV=nRT

This about it - in a pressure cooker, water can get hotter that 100C if
the container is tight enough and there's no room for it to expand.
Similarly, 'dry ice' frozen CO2, is a solid which never goes to a
liquid, it just sublimates (evaporates straight to a gas). Kind of how a
thin sheet of ice on your driveway will do the same in the winter even
though the temp is below freezing.
JOE

Old May 18th 07, 01:31 PM posted to sci.physics,sci.astro,sci.chem,sci.logic,alt.english.usage
George Dishman[_1_]

"Prisoner at War" wrote in message
oups.com...

Help me understand this: it's water, but also frozen by high pressure
-- and thus hot???

http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/space/0...eut/index.html

http://www.cmmp.ucl.ac.uk/people/finney/soi.html

Note that, for ice VII, as the pressure increases, so does
the melting point.

George

Old May 18th 07, 03:44 PM posted to sci.physics,sci.astro,sci.chem,sci.logic
Uncle Al

Prisoner at War wrote:

Help me understand this: it's water, but also frozen by high pressure
-- and thus hot???

http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/space/0...eut/index.html

http://www.lsbu.ac.uk/water/images/phase.gif
Water phase diagram.

Squeeze water to 10^11 Pa and it is a solid to at least 1000 K. What
is a megabar between friends?

--
Uncle Al
http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/
Old May 18th 07, 05:17 PM posted to sci.physics,sci.astro,sci.chem,sci.logic,alt.english.usage
Igor

On May 18, 8:04 am, Prisoner at War wrote:
Help me understand this: it's water, but also frozen by high pressure
-- and thus hot???

http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/space/0...eut/index.html

Practically any material can be solid at any temperature, provided
sufficient pressure is applied.

Old May 20th 07, 05:30 AM posted to sci.physics,sci.astro,sci.chem,sci.logic,alt.english.usage
Russell Easterly

"Igor" wrote in message
oups.com...
On May 18, 8:04 am, Prisoner at War wrote:
Help me understand this: it's water, but also frozen by high pressure
-- and thus hot???

http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/space/0...eut/index.html

Practically any material can be solid at any temperature, provided
sufficient pressure is applied.

I didn't think helium could be frozen, but I was wrong.
Frozen helium is a supersolid, a solid that flows like a liquid.
http://www.planet-think.net/science/...id_helium.html

This means "gas" giants are mostly solid.

Russell
- 2 many 2 count

Old May 20th 07, 05:33 PM posted to sci.physics,sci.astro,sci.chem,sci.logic,alt.english.usage
Peter Webb[_2_]

"Russell Easterly" wrote in message

"Igor" wrote in message
oups.com...
On May 18, 8:04 am, Prisoner at War wrote:
Help me understand this: it's water, but also frozen by high pressure
-- and thus hot???

http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/space/0...eut/index.html

Practically any material can be solid at any temperature, provided
sufficient pressure is applied.

I didn't think helium could be frozen, but I was wrong.
Frozen helium is a supersolid, a solid that flows like a liquid.
http://www.planet-think.net/science/...id_helium.html

At 175 millikelvins

This means "gas" giants are mostly solid.

Where did this idea come from?