if we had to leave this planet and colonize elsewhere...

Old March 19th 04, 08:02 AM
meat n potatoes

Default if we had to leave this planet and colonize elsewhere...

okay, say our planet becomes inhabitable and we gotta leave. people
remaining will all die.

the people who do leave for another planet.... no guarantee that it'll
be found but let's say they come upon a planet that may be
inhabitable.

1. suppose the planet already has inhabitants. what if they don't
allow us to stay? should we wage war like the israelites in the land
of canaan and carve out a little territory?
should we respect their wishes and drift in space til we inevitably
run out of fuel and die?

2. suppose the natives of the planet invite us but only as second
class citizens. would this be cool?

3. suppose the natives have the IQ of something like 70 and we have
the intellectual and technological power to rule them. should we?

4. suppose the indigenous animals are no smarter than animals. should
we hunt them and eat them?

5. could there be a planet that is inhabitable but has developed no
life? for example, can a planet have plentiful oxygen in the air
without plant life?

6. if we don't find a planet to settle on, can we survive on the
spaceship indefinitely by taking fuel and material from gaseous
planets like jupiter? could we perhaps download our consciousness into
computers so that we won't need food and to take a ****?

7. suppose on a planet there is a battle between two native groups,
something like ET version of nazis vs the soviets. should we side with
one group and help them and share in the spoils? should we remain
neutral?

8. what will the human colonizers and their descendants think of the
planet that was the home of their ancestors? will it totally be
forgotten or considered just some silly myth?

9. why do we bother with art, history, and civilization when we know
all this gonna turn into dust and will be entirely forgotten in the
grand scheme of things?

10. you agree that no matter what we do, it's ultimately pointless and
stupid?
Old March 19th 04, 09:55 AM
Anthony Mandic

meat n potatoes wrote:
okay, say our planet becomes inhabitable and we gotta leave. people
remaining will all die.

the people who do leave for another planet.... no guarantee that it'll
be found but let's say they come upon a planet that may be
inhabitable.

Dude, we aren't here to write a screenplay for youz.

**** off.

Old March 19th 04, 03:12 PM
jjustwwondering

http://www.yourdictionary.net/inhabitable.html
Old March 19th 04, 03:22 PM
Paul Blay

"jjustwwondering" wrote ...
(meat n potatoes) wrote ...
okay, say our planet becomes inhabitable and we gotta leave. people
remaining will all die.

http://www.yourdictionary.net/inhabitable.html

Irregardless, it's an easy mistake to make.
Old March 19th 04, 06:40 PM
Mike Combs

"meat n potatoes" wrote in message
om...

the people who do leave for another planet....

And your thinking might be going astray right there already.

5. could there be a planet that is inhabitable but has developed no
life? for example, can a planet have plentiful oxygen in the air
without plant life?

No, but one might find a planet that was at a stage our planet spent several
hundreds of millions of years at: after the evolution of algae in the oceans
but before the evolution of plant life on the land.

6. if we don't find a planet to settle on, can we survive on the
spaceship indefinitely by taking fuel and material from gaseous
planets like jupiter? could we perhaps download our consciousness into
computers so that we won't need food and to take a ****?

Between living in small, cramped spaceships, and living in cyberspace,
there's a technology of intermediate difficulty: living in structures which
are artificial alright, but huge and comfortably Earthlike.

http://members.aol.com/oscarcombs/settle.htm

9. why do we bother with art, history, and civilization when we know
all this gonna turn into dust and will be entirely forgotten in the
grand scheme of things?

Maybe because we don't "know" this. If we can get out beyond the Earth in
independent settlements, then humanity may become a species which will never
become extinct (in the sense of failing to leave descendants). Which means
at least the memories of our cultures may become undying.

10. you agree that no matter what we do, it's ultimately pointless and
stupid?

For reason above, vigorously disagree.

--

Regards,
Mike Combs

Gerard O'Neill - "The High Frontier"

Old March 19th 04, 06:41 PM
Marvin

(meat n potatoes) wrote in
om:

okay, say our planet becomes inhabitable and we gotta leave.

Wot? We finally get the place livable, then we gotta leave? Tsk, Tsk...
Old March 19th 04, 07:11 PM
jjustwwondering

"Paul Blay" wrote in message ...
"jjustwwondering" wrote ...
(meat n potatoes) wrote ...
okay, say our planet becomes inhabitable and we gotta leave. people
remaining will all die.

http://www.yourdictionary.net/inhabitable.html

Irregardless, it's an easy mistake to make.

Mistakes are generally easy to make.
However, there's a difference. "Irregardless" means nothing,
and is therefore harmless, except to good taste; but
"inhabitable" has a meaning which is different from
what the author intended, and can therefore be misleading.

Confusion between "effect" and "affect", or between "principle"
and "principal", is pernicious, affecting
thought processes as well as language -
while much cruder misspellings don't matter.
Old March 19th 04, 10:06 PM
Ian Stirling

In sci.space.policy Anthony Mandic wrote:
meat n potatoes wrote:
okay, say our planet becomes inhabitable and we gotta leave. people
remaining will all die.

the people who do leave for another planet.... no guarantee that it'll
be found but let's say they come upon a planet that may be
inhabitable.

Dude, we aren't here to write a screenplay for youz.

I dunno, if he offers to paypal all contributors a percentage of the
gross...
Old March 19th 04, 10:28 PM

rec.arts.movies.current-films removed as off topic.

meat n potatoes wrote:

okay, say our planet becomes inhabitable and we gotta leave. people
remaining will all die.

Sounds like a movie made from a story by H. G. Wells so far; When Worlds
Collide. Hence I leave rec.arts.sf.movies in the x-post.

the people who do leave for another planet.... no guarantee that it'll
be found but let's say they come upon a planet that may be
inhabitable.

1. suppose the planet already has inhabitants. what if they don't
allow us to stay? should we wage war like the israelites in the land
of canaan and carve out a little territory?
should we respect their wishes and drift in space til we inevitably
run out of fuel and die?

Well, it becomes a choice of interaction or conquer. We might drop rocks
on their heads for awhile before we take over. I wouldn't leave any
survivors though. Harsh but go forward fully committed.

Better choice would to find some other way to live than to exterminate
for survival.

2. suppose the natives of the planet invite us but only as second
class citizens. would this be cool?

No, but it might depend on our resources left available and whether we
could just hang out around the asteroid belt and mine stuff for our own
uses.

3. suppose the natives have the IQ of something like 70 and we have
the intellectual and technological power to rule them. should we?

No.

4. suppose the indigenous animals are no smarter than animals. should
we hunt them and eat them?

Perhaps. It depends a lot on what we are able to have brought with us. I
can understand a question about interrupting the development of a
species but we eat and kill animals here now.

5. could there be a planet that is inhabitable but has developed no
life? for example, can a planet have plentiful oxygen in the air
without plant life?

Asked and answered. Is the question how much terra forming are we up
for? Do we exterminate species (plant and/or animal) to make way or a
safer way for human colonists?

6. if we don't find a planet to settle on, can we survive on the
spaceship indefinitely by taking fuel and material from gaseous
planets like jupiter? could we perhaps download our consciousness into
computers so that we won't need food and to take a ****?

I doubt we would be mining gaseous planets like Jupiter any time soon,
too much gravity to deal with. More likely we would mine very small but
distant (hence COLD) worlds like Pluto.

Given obliteration and life as a cyber creation I suppose most would
take the chance, but we wouldn't be 'us' anymore, we would have become
something else.

7. suppose on a planet there is a battle between two native groups,
something like ET version of nazis vs the soviets. should we side with
one group and help them and share in the spoils? should we remain
neutral?

The only answer is 'it depends'. There will likely be no good, right
answer. Even staying out of it is fraught with consequences. Then again,
we deal with the lesser of two evils every day.

8. what will the human colonizers and their descendants think of the
planet that was the home of their ancestors? will it totally be
forgotten or considered just some silly myth?

Depends on the level of art, culture, technology (at least in terms of
information storage) we retain. If it's dog eat dog for too long we will
focus on day to day and the misty past will become, misty.

9. why do we bother with art, history, and civilization when we know
all this gonna turn into dust and will be entirely forgotten in the
grand scheme of things?

These are rhetorical questions, aren't they. c'Mon, admit it.

10. you agree that no matter what we do, it's ultimately pointless and
stupid?

Nope. insert various love song lyrics

Hi Gaza,

TBerk