Looking for some info on black holes

Old November 1st 04, 02:28 AM
Droogan

Default Looking for some info on black holes

If anyone has a nice collection of useful links to information on
black holes I would be grateful. Specifically, Im looking for
theories concerning the process matter would go through as it crosses
into the event horizon.

I've studied black holes for a while and had some interesting ideas
the other night, wanted to learn more specifics on what is
known/hypothesized at this time.

Thanks in advance.

*-----------------------*
Posted at:
www.GroupSrv.com
*-----------------------*
Old November 1st 04, 03:12 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Droogan" wrote in message
If anyone has a nice collection of useful links to information on
black holes I would be grateful. Specifically, Im looking for
theories concerning the process matter would go through as it crosses
into the event horizon.

I've studied black holes for a while and had some interesting ideas
the other night, wanted to learn more specifics on what is
known/hypothesized at this time.

This site has a good explanation,
http://archive.ncsa.uiuc.edu/Cyberia...kHoleAnat.html, but I think
it's important to mention that the Event Horizon is a theoretical line in
the sand. Nothing happens to the mass at that point.

BV.

Old November 1st 04, 05:46 PM
J. Scott Miller

Droogan wrote:
If anyone has a nice collection of useful links to information on
black holes I would be grateful.

You might visit my collection of astronomy-related sites:

http://www.louisville.edu/~jsmill01/internet.html

It is broken down by topics and links to sites on black holes are near the bottom.

Old November 2nd 04, 09:28 AM
Droogan

Benign Vanillawrote:

This site has a good explanation,
http://archive.ncsa.uiuc.edu/Cyberia...kHoleAnat.html, but

I think
it's important to mention that the Event Horizon is a theoretical

line in
the sand. Nothing happens to the mass at that point.

BV.

Yeah, the event horizon is just a reference point... but it is
possible something significant occurs as matter/energy crosses into
it or shortly after. Gravity is a weak force in general... what
effects might that much gravity have on atoms themselves as gravity
becomes a significant force to compete with the bonds that hold them
together...

Thank you for the links, Im going to go check them out now.

*-----------------------*
Posted at:
www.GroupSrv.com
*-----------------------*
Old November 2nd 04, 06:16 PM
Jonathan Silverlight

In message , Droogan
writes
Benign Vanillawrote:

This site has a good explanation,
http://archive.ncsa.uiuc.edu/Cyberia...kHoleAnat.html, but

I think
it's important to mention that the Event Horizon is a theoretical

line in
the sand. Nothing happens to the mass at that point.

BV.

Yeah, the event horizon is just a reference point... but it is
possible something significant occurs as matter/energy crosses into
it or shortly after. Gravity is a weak force in general... what
effects might that much gravity have on atoms themselves as gravity
becomes a significant force to compete with the bonds that hold them
together...

The fact that _at some point_ the tidal forces become large enough to
tear atoms (and subatomic particles) apart has nothing to do with the
event horizon.
But the horizon isn't entirely theoretical. It's the line at which light
can't escape, and I would guess that some future generation of
physicists will be writing grant applications for a project to
demonstrate this.
--
What have they got to hide? Release the ESA Beagle 2 report.