Please ID this object (near Venus)

Old April 5th 12, 04:26 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

Default Please ID this object (near Venus)

Hi,

I took a few pics last night at Venus' alignment with the Pleiades,
and noticed this very obvious green blurry object near Venus (above
it in the picture, opposite to the Pleiades).

http://www.mochima.com/tmp/venus-pleiades.png

I'm trying to figure out what is it, checking the sky maps at
Fourmilab.ch/yoursky, but nothing shows up when indicating
magnitude 8 and brighter.

The object must have been quite obvious --- these are 30
second exposure with the camera and its 300mm f5.6 lens
(well, or f/4.5 when shorter focal length --- it's a 70-300
zoom), and the object shows up very clearly in every single
image.

Anyone?

Thanks,
Carlos
Old April 5th 12, 04:48 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
uncarollo

--

That is most likely a reflection coming from some optical surface
inside your camera.

Uncarollo
Old April 5th 12, 05:46 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
lal_truckee

On 4/5/12 8:26 AM, wrote:
The object must have been quite obvious

lens flare
Old April 5th 12, 06:10 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
David Briggs

In message
ups.com
wrote:

Hi,

I took a few pics last night at Venus' alignment with the Pleiades,
and noticed this very obvious green blurry object near Venus (above
it in the picture, opposite to the Pleiades).

http://www.mochima.com/tmp/venus-pleiades.png

I'm trying to figure out what is it, checking the sky maps at
Fourmilab.ch/yoursky, but nothing shows up when indicating
magnitude 8 and brighter.

The object must have been quite obvious --- these are 30
second exposure with the camera and its 300mm f5.6 lens
(well, or f/4.5 when shorter focal length --- it's a 70-300
zoom), and the object shows up very clearly in every single
image.

Carlos,

Its almost certainly an internal reflection in the lens. I did
the same as you a couple of years ago. When I photographed Venus
with a Canon DSLR and telephoto lens I got a peculiar diffuse
greenish coloured blob on a number of the shots which I thought
might have been a comet. It turned out to be a ghost image. One
way to prove it is to move Venus to different places in the
frame. Does the green blob disappear or change position relative
to the image of Venus? If so then it is an internal reflection.

HTH

--
David Briggs
Skype ID: davidbriggs124
Old April 6th 12, 02:13 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
David Staup

wrote in message
Hi,

I took a few pics last night at Venus' alignment with the Pleiades,
and noticed this very obvious green blurry object near Venus (above
it in the picture, opposite to the Pleiades).

http://www.mochima.com/tmp/venus-pleiades.png

I'm trying to figure out what is it, checking the sky maps at
Fourmilab.ch/yoursky, but nothing shows up when indicating
magnitude 8 and brighter.

The object must have been quite obvious --- these are 30
second exposure with the camera and its 300mm f5.6 lens
(well, or f/4.5 when shorter focal length --- it's a 70-300
zoom), and the object shows up very clearly in every single
image.

Anyone?

Thanks,
Carlos
--

NGC1514 a planetary nebula

Old April 6th 12, 03:27 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

On Apr 5, 9:13*pm, "David Staup" wrote:
wrote in message

Hi,

I took a few pics last night at Venus' alignment with the Pleiades,
and noticed this very obvious green blurry object near Venus (above
it in the picture, opposite to the Pleiades).

http://www.mochima.com/tmp/venus-pleiades.png

I'm trying to figure out what is it, checking the sky maps at
Fourmilab.ch/yoursky, but nothing shows up when indicating
magnitude 8 and brighter.

The object must have been quite obvious --- these are 30
second exposure with the camera and its 300mm f5.6 lens
(well, or f/4.5 when shorter focal length --- it's a 70-300
zoom), and the object shows up very clearly in every single
image.

Anyone?

Thanks,
Carlos
--

NGC1514 a planetary nebula

No, it's a flying omen.
Old April 6th 12, 04:11 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
palsing[_2_]

On Apr 5, 6:13*pm, "David Staup" wrote:

NGC1514 a planetary nebula

NGC 1514 is over 8 degrees from the Pleiades, more than a binocular
field of view away (for most binoculars).

For comparison, tonight Venus is about 1 degree from the center of the
cluster...

\Paul A
Old April 6th 12, 02:51 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

Carlos,

Its almost certainly an internal reflection in the lens. [ ... ] One
way to prove it is to move Venus to different places in the
frame. Does the green blob disappear or change position relative
to the image of Venus? If so then it is an internal reflection.

Actually, changing the focal length (I took several images at
maximum mag., 300mm, and a few at different lengths) does change
(slightly) the position of the "object" --- silly me, I should
have noticed that; I guess it was close enough and in the same
general area that I overlooked the detail.

So yes, definitely lens flare ... Photoshop, where are you? Have
a little job fot you!!! :-)

Thanks,

Carlos
Old April 6th 12, 05:11 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
RichA[_1_]

On Apr 5, 11:26*am, wrote:
Hi,

I took a few pics last night at Venus' alignment with the Pleiades,
and noticed this very obvious green blurry object near Venus (above
it in the picture, opposite to the Pleiades).

http://www.mochima.com/tmp/venus-pleiades.png

I'm trying to figure out what is it, checking the sky maps at
Fourmilab.ch/yoursky, but nothing shows up when indicating
magnitude 8 and brighter.

The object must have been quite obvious --- these are 30
second exposure with the camera and its 300mm f5.6 lens
(well, or f/4.5 when shorter focal length --- it's a 70-300
zoom), and the object shows up very clearly in every single
image.

Anyone?

Thanks,
Carlos
--

Likely you used a filter on the lens. Ditch it for any shots
involving specular highlights like lights at night.
Old April 29th 12, 03:09 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Robert Miles

On 4/5/2012 10:26 AM, wrote:
Hi,

I took a few pics last night at Venus' alignment with the Pleiades,
and noticed this very obvious green blurry object near Venus (above
it in the picture, opposite to the Pleiades).

http://www.mochima.com/tmp/venus-pleiades.png

I'm trying to figure out what is it, checking the sky maps at
Fourmilab.ch/yoursky, but nothing shows up when indicating
magnitude 8 and brighter.

The object must have been quite obvious --- these are 30
second exposure with the camera and its 300mm f5.6 lens
(well, or f/4.5 when shorter focal length --- it's a 70-300
zoom), and the object shows up very clearly in every single
image.

Anyone?

Thanks,
Carlos

Could it be someone aiming a green laser at the sky?

Or some type of reflection within your camera?

Robert Miles