Tripod recomendations

Old November 24th 12, 02:21 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
William Hamblen[_2_]

Default Tripod recomendations

On 2012-11-14, Paul Ciszek wrote:
I am kind of ****ed that after dropping a few hundred on Manfroto
tripod and head, I find it doesn't really hold my camera steady enough.
I am using a 500mm lens and a micro-4/3 camera, so that is roughly
equivalent to a 1m focal length on a 35mm camera. When I try to focus
on the moon, I see it jiggling around, and I have to use shorter exposure
times than I would like to get a sharp picture. The camera has IBIS, but
according to some users, it just can't deal with *really* long focal
lengths. I would like to find a 1.4 teleconverter for my lens, which
will make this problem worse. An amateur astronomer friend recomended
Orion as a tripod maker. I talked to one online vendor who recommended
two models:

http://www.telescope.com/catalog/sea...&keyword=05377

The "paragon plus extra-heavy duty tripod" has the advantage that is
more or less a normal camera tripod. The sales rep warned me that it
might not be able to aim as high as I would like. (i.e., lunar photography
when the moon is very high in the sky.)

http://www.telescope.com/catalog/sea...&keyword=10105

The VersaGo II Altazimuth Telescope Mount would require the use of a
dovetail L-bracket (shown on the same page) to attach a camera. I do
not like the idea of the camera and lens hanging out on a "springboard"
like that, but at least this setup would allow the camera to point
arbitrarily high.

Any thoughts and recommendations?

What are you using to trigger the shutter release? If IBIS is image
stabilization, you will find that image stabilization doesn't work
for tripod mounted cameras. My telescope on a heavy Orion Atlas EQ-G
trembles when I focus. They all tremble.

Bud

First Telescope any recomendations !!!! Home Theatre Guy Misc 3 September 11th 06 05:38 AM
Recomendations for software Domestos Amateur Astronomy 4 March 6th 06 11:43 PM
Eye piece recomendations JC Amateur Astronomy 53 January 8th 04 08:16 PM
Eye piece recomendations. JC Misc 3 December 24th 03 09:06 PM
Film Recomendations for the Lunar Eclipse Michael J. Bruno Amateur Astronomy 2 November 9th 03 05:36 AM