Great Courses. Experiencing Hubble

Old November 11th 12, 12:29 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
W. eWatson[_2_]

Default Great Courses. Experiencing Hubble

Sky an T's Dec. issue has an add by Great Courses called Experiencing
Hubble. On sale through Dec. 3. 12 chapters of 30 minutes each. As
an example, chapter 7 is about The Sombrero Galaxy. My question is do
these chapters have enough information to make them worthwhile? That is,
is the science described useful, or is it just lay talk that offers
something interesting from chapter to chapter. I guess, for example,
I've never heard a 30 minute lecture on any of the subjects, Eagle
Nebula, Abell 2218, Crab Nebula, Sagittarius Star Cloud, ... or similar
objects. Is it more than just facts?
Old November 25th 12, 04:32 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
W. eWatson[_2_]

On 11/10/2012 4:29 PM, W. eWatson wrote:
Sky an T's Dec. issue has an add by Great Courses called Experiencing
Hubble. On sale through Dec. 3. 12 chapters of 30 minutes each. As
an example, chapter 7 is about The Sombrero Galaxy. My question is do
these chapters have enough information to make them worthwhile? That is,
is the science described useful, or is it just lay talk that offers
something interesting from chapter to chapter. I guess, for example,
I've never heard a 30 minute lecture on any of the subjects, Eagle
Nebula, Abell 2218, Crab Nebula, Sagittarius Star Cloud, ... or similar
objects. Is it more than just facts?

I purchased it, and find it worthy of the price. The lecturer, Dr. David
Meyer, does a fine job of presenting the material. He has worked on the
Hubble for 15 years, and has lots of gems to share about the various
topics he talks to. He spends a good bit of time on the science behind
the objects mentioned above. Very good graphics. He doesn't go deeply
into some topics, but he sure sparks an interest in them. Lots of good
and current references. Quite enjoyable.
Old November 25th 12, 08:55 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Il mio nome è Nessuno

"W. eWatson" wrote in news:k8s729$9v5$1@dont-
email.me:

[...]

how much was it?
Old November 25th 12, 02:34 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Davoud[_1_]

"nobody at home" asked:
how much was it?

http://bit.ly/Wqmoho

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm
Old November 25th 12, 03:01 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Quadibloc

On Nov 25, 1:55*am, "Il mio nome Nessuno"
wrote:

how much was it?

$199.95 as DVDs, $169.95 as a digital download.

It's difficult for me, and I think for most people, to imagine
themselves spending that kind of money to watch a documentary, however
excellent.

John Savard
Old November 26th 12, 03:41 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Il mio nome è Nessuno

Davoud wrote in :

"nobody at home" asked:
how much was it?

http://bit.ly/Wqmoho

that's the sale price? wow
Old November 26th 12, 04:21 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Thad Floryan

On 11/25/2012 7:41 PM, Il mio nome è Nessuno wrote:
Davoud wrote in :

"nobody at home" asked:
how much was it?

http://bit.ly/Wqmoho

that's the sale price? wow

Yep, astronomically priced.

The pricing is odd given this is "Black Friday Weekend" and tomorrow,
Monday, is "Cyber Monday" when everything should be dramatically
reduced in priced.

Thanks to Google's great pirate search engine, you can download the
entire thing for free by simply Googling the entirety of the following
line:

"Experiencing Hubble: Understanding the Greatest Images of the Universe" download

Google will also find 1000s of free astronomy and computer books in PDF
form for download. Just be sure you're wearing a black astronomer's
eyepatch with a plastic parrot on your shoulder and be swigging from a
bottle of whiskey and yelling "Yo ho ho!" when you download. :-)

If you need a black eyepatch, Orion has them for sale at US$6.99:

http://www.telescope.com/catalog/search.cmd?form_state=searchForm&keyword=eyepatch

Black eyepatches are also frequently found on the shelves near the
pharmacy in well-equipped food supermarket stores in the USA.

Plastic parrots, tri-corner hats, and pirate swords can be found at
Toys'R'Us and other novelty and party stores. Live parrots can be
purchased from pet stores. Blunderbusses can be found at antique
shows. You might want a red/white horizontally-striped shirt, too,
which will look really nice for your mug shot. :-)

Old November 26th 12, 04:44 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Thad Floryan

On 11/25/2012 7:44 PM, Il mio nome è Nessuno wrote:
Quadibloc wrote in news:95ac4c46-1b98-4086-a65f-
:

wrote:

how much was it?

$199.95 as DVDs, $169.95 as a digital download.

It's difficult for me, and I think for most people, to imagine
themselves spending that kind of money to watch a documentary, however
excellent.

John Savard

I thought the op said S&T had a sale price??? "On sale through Dec. 3. "

If you follow the OP's trail here on sci.astro.amateur, you'll note
he seldom posts coherently or understandably; here's what he posted
this time:

" Sky an T's Dec. issue has an add by Great Courses called
" Experiencing Hubble. On sale through Dec. 3. 12 chapters of 30
" minutes each. As an example, chapter 7 is about The Sombrero
" Galaxy. My question is do these chapters have enough information
" to make them worthwhile? That is, is the science described
" useful, or is it just lay talk that offers something interesting
" from chapter to chapter. I guess, for example, I've never heard a
" 30 minute lecture on any of the subjects, Eagle Nebula, Abell
" 2218, Crab Nebula, Sagittarius Star Cloud, ... or similar
" objects. Is it more than just facts?

Note there's no mention of a discount. And it also shows how he
NEVER does his homework and expects everyone in SAA and other groups
(e.g., comp.os.linux.misc) to hand him the answers on a silver platter.

It would have taken an intelligent "non-me-me-me" person just seconds
to Google for a review of the "Great Courses" product(s).
Old November 26th 12, 04:53 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Il mio nome è Nessuno

Thad Floryan wrote in
:

http://www.telescope.com/catalog/sea...earchForm&keyw
ord=eyepatch

Black eyepatches are also frequently found on the shelves near the
pharmacy in well-equipped food supermarket stores in the USA.

Plastic parrots, tri-corner hats, and pirate swords can be found at
Toys'R'Us and other novelty and party stores. Live parrots can be
purchased from pet stores. Blunderbusses can be found at antique
shows. You might want a red/white horizontally-striped shirt, too,
which will look really nice for your mug shot. :-)

thanks for the info...already have a patch but haven't had my scopes out
in over two years due to my wife's serious health problems(brain tumor
and complications)that have left her bedridden

Great Hubble News Starlord Misc 0 September 21st 06 06:31 PM
Experiencing a classic; w/Obs Report. Stephen Paul Amateur Astronomy 7 February 26th 06 12:01 AM
Mars is experiencing global warming Dusty Amateur Astronomy 3 November 15th 04 12:24 PM
Tribute to the Great Hubble Tele G=EMC^2 Glazier Misc 31 February 14th 04 04:52 PM
Great Hubble link from Australia Joe Ogiba Amateur Astronomy 1 November 19th 03 04:08 PM