Dynamics of an Earth Ring

Old September 30th 04, 10:19 AM
AA Institute

Default Dynamics of an Earth Ring

Before anybody gives me that look...this question is totally in the
context of a "what if" kind of hypothetical scenario.

Suppose an asteroid somehow, through some super, far future
engineering achievement has been captured into orbit around the Earth.
Now suppose we want to carve it out by detonating a series of missiles
that incrementally hollow their way into the body of such an asteroid.
The material excavated out of the body would create a thin ring system
around the Earth, as I try to illustrate he-

http://uk.geocities.com/aa_spaceagen...arth-ring.html

My main concern with such a project is one of SAFETY. I'd like to know
what a *safe* perigee (minimum) altitude would be necessary to prevent
orbital decay of ring material. I don't want any material from my
hypothetical ring system coming down toward the Earth under any
circumstances. Would the ring material be contained in a narrow plane
of fixed orbital incline, or would it scatter over time? What about
interactivity with particles trapped in the Van Allen radiation belts?
Is there any learnings from the Voyager studies (and now Cassini
studies) of Saturnian rings that could be used to predict the long
term stability of such a *hypothetical* ring system around the Earth
in the future?

Abdul Ahad
Old September 30th 04, 11:28 AM
Alasdair

"AA Institute" wrote in message
om...
[...]

I think the moon would prevent the ring from forming properly
Alasdair
--

erect featherless biped
www.digitalmystic.co.uk

Old September 30th 04, 05:05 PM
Steve Maudsley

[...]

Why do you want to use missiles to hollow it out?

I suspect that smaller scale engineering would be better in order to
preserve the structure since an asteroid isn't usually large enough for
gravity to glue it together. And then I would be inclined to glue the debris
onto the outside or stuff it into string bags so that I could use it later
if I wanted to move the asteroid.

Stephen

Old September 30th 04, 06:48 PM
Eric Chomko

:
[...]

Saturn has several moons and its rings don't seem to mind. I don't doubt
that the moon would have an effect but prevent the forming? No, I don't
believe that.

Eric

: Alasdair
: --

: erect featherless biped
: www.digitalmystic.co.uk

Old September 30th 04, 07:11 PM
Tom Kent

"Alasdair" . uk wrote in news:cjgn48
:

[...]

There is currently a ring around earth. If you ever look at a 3-D type
map of satelites, (like J-Track 3D
http://science.nasa.gov/RealTime/JTr.../JTrack3D.html)
you'll see that the satellites in geostationary orbit make a nice ring
around earth :-)

There's a couple gotchas to this statement...first J-Track blows up the
relative size of the dot of light relative to the earth to many, many,
many times the actual size of the spacecraft, so it appears more
populated than it is (true...real rings aren't solid, but this is pushing
it). I heard once jupiter had a very small ring that we only discovered
when we sent probes in close to it...anyone know more info about this?

Also, all these man made satellites have position keeping thrusters, to
compensate for things like the moon. I have no idea as to what would
happen to this "ring" if they suddenly just turned them all off, but I
don't think anything major would happen very fast.

Old September 30th 04, 07:28 PM
Brian Gaff

[...]

I don't need to know any science to suggest you do not do this if you
positively don't want any bits to rain down at all!

Why?

Ever heard of Martian meteorites? Well, the mere fact that we have them
suggests that whenever you start knocking chunks off of celestial bodies,
the things eventually go far and wide.

If you have the tech to capture it, and orbit it, then you probably have the
technology to land it, relatively softly, on the moon, so take it there, and
cut it up at your leisure, whatever you want it for.

Brian

Email:

Old October 1st 04, 08:55 AM
AA Institute

"Steve Maudsley" wrote in message

Why do you want to use missiles to hollow it out?

Bearing in mind that most asteroids are quite dense, often with some
metallic composition, then some heavy blasting will be necessary to
get fairly rapid results.

I just realised there is a problem with this idea, missile impacts
would leave the hole radioactive. But if post detonation radioactivity
only affects the asteroid's inner walls down to a few inches in depth,
then small scale robotic diggers which excavate a few inches of rock
all the way around the interior of the hole and then blowing them out
of the hole with perhaps compressed air, could eliminate the
radioactiveness. RATs (rock abrasion tools) on the Mars rovers do
something similar today.

I suspect that smaller scale engineering would be better in order to
preserve the structure since an asteroid isn't usually large enough for
gravity to glue it together. And then I would be inclined to glue the debris
onto the outside or stuff it into string bags so that I could use it later
if I wanted to move the asteroid.

Good idea, but this calls for another level of robotic articulation.
Perhaps a fly around robot with a vacuum cleaner style of suction
mechanism, pulling stuff into heavy duty plastic bags could do the
trick.

So there is a way round the ring problem...

AAI
Old October 1st 04, 09:14 AM
AA Institute

Tim Auton wrote in message . ..
(AA Institute) wrote:

Before anybody gives me that look...

Too late

I wouldn't want to be on an orbital space station with some loon
blowing up asteroids around the same planet.

Fair comment, I wouldn't want to either!

So what do *you* think would make a nice, comfy orbital colony?

I mean we've tried the Salyut, Skylab, Mir, ISS... and god knows
whatever else is coming next, with frankly very little in the way of
establishing a permanent presence in space. Granted, these were highly
*essential*, interim experience and confidence building steps. I doubt
very much I would have had the confidence to put forward starship
designs with biospheres and orbital engineering projects with asteroid
hollowing, had it not been for these early successful steps.

So, do we need a scaled up version of another ISS style station in a
higher orbit around the Earth or would it be more beneficial to grab
an asteroid and try a fresh approach? If the asteroid is carefully
selected using prior robotic surveying, it may offer us a wealth of
mineral resources as a bonus. And part of its excavation toward
building a habitat would come from the mineral mining.

I hear a lot of noise about "mining the sky", and how asteroid mining
could become HOT property in the future. But how many of those
noise-makers have the vision to say let's grab an asteroid around the
Earth, where it would be infinitely easier to mine?

The AA Institute is the *FIRST* science authority on this planet with
the exceptional foresight, courage and boldness to put forward such
confident and robust proposals!!!

AAI
Old October 1st 04, 03:54 PM
AA Institute

Also, all these man made satellites have position keeping thrusters, to
compensate for things like the moon. I have no idea as to what would
happen to this "ring" if they suddenly just turned them all off, but I
don't think anything major would happen very fast.

I've changed my mind about 20,000 km as a *safe* perigee height, as it
will endanger geostationary satellites orbiting in a constellation at
35,700 km.

If the perigee of the asteroid's orbit is 40,000 km and say the apogee
is 200,000 km then that may be a safe option. If the apogee goes much
above 250,000 km then there's the Moon's perturbing influence to worry
about, since it orbits at around 380,000 km.

Great, now all I need to do are some 'back of the cigarette packet'
calcs that show the Delta-V requirements to achieve a capture.

I hope no one gets too alarmed by all this... it's just some fun
calculations over a fun idea, which may or may not come to fruition
one day (depending if there's public support).

Abdul