A recent secret launch of a rocket off the coast of California?

Old November 12th 10, 09:36 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley

Default A recent secret launch of a rocket off the coast of California?

In article , says...

Jeff Findley wrote:
Bull$hit! If it would have been any of those, it would have been
detected and intercepted and if it didn't leave US air space, it would
have been shot down.

Probably. Very Probably. Heck, Almost Certainly even. the US no
doubt have an exellect air defense system,

Here is the official DOD statement (as seen on Facebook):

"While there is nothing at this time that leads the Department of
Defense to believe this is a missile launch, the department and other US
government agencies with expertise in aviation and space continue to
look into the condensation trail (CONTRAIL) seen and reported off the
coast of southern California on Monday evening.

"All DoD entities with rocket and missile programs reported no launches,
scheduled or inadvertent, during the time period in the area of the
reported contrail. NORAD and USNORTHCOM confirmed that it did not
monitor any foreign military missile launch off the California coast
yesterday and has determined that there was no threat to the US
homeland.

"In addition, the FAA ran radar replays from Monday afternoon of a large
area west of Los Angeles. Those replays did not reveal any fast-moving,
unidentified targets. The FAA also did not receive reports of any
unusual sightings from pilots who were flying in the area Monday
afternoon.

"If any new information comes to light in the coming days, we will
update the press and public.

"DoD statement attributed to Col. Dave Lapan, DoD spokesman."

And now for the "translated" version found here
(
http://lewis.armscontrolwonk.com/arc...thing#comment-
10222 ):

I should render this statement in English:

DOD: "While there is nothing at this time that leads the Department of
Defense to believe this is a missile launch ?"

English: It wasn't a missile.

DOD: "? the department and other US government agencies with expertise
in aviation and space continue to look into the condensation trail
(CONTRAIL) seen and reported off the coast of southern California on
Monday evening."

English: But we will take this very, very seriously because we are
professionals. After work, however, over a beer, we might use the term
"nutjob that doesn't know a jet contrail from his ass on fire."

DOD: "All DoD entities with rocket and missile programs reported no
launches, scheduled or inadvertent, during the time period in the area
of the reported contrail."

English: Look, we didn't launch anything.

DOD: "NORAD and USNORTHCOM confirmed that it did not monitor any foreign
military missile launch off the California coast yesterday ?"

English: Nor did we see anyone else launch anything.

DOD: "and has determined that there was no threat to the US homeland."

English: Did we mention that we are taking this very, very seriously
because we are professionals? At least until we get to the bar?

DOD: "In addition, the FAA ran radar replays from Monday afternoon of a
large area west of Los Angeles. Those replays did not reveal any fast-
moving, unidentified targets."

English: Don't you think it is odd that the FAA radars only show
airplanes?

DOD: "The FAA also did not receive reports of any unusual sightings from
pilots who were flying in the area Monday afternoon."

English: Or that no one else, other than the helicopter crew, say
anything but airplanes?

DOD: "If any new information comes to light in the coming days, we will
update the press and public."

English: Time for that beer.

but I will remind folks about:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathias_Rust

I'm sure that the US has had its share of incidents with small single
engine aircraft wandering into secured air spaces, but this kid landed
near Red Square. A similar incident in the US would have a single
engine aircraft land on the Mall in Washington D.C.

Jeff
--
42
Old November 12th 10, 10:27 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Brad Guth[_3_]

On Nov 12, 5:34*am, Jeff Findley wrote:
In article 436b04e9-f30e-4116-b6e5-d26baeedcb68
@i32g2000pri.googlegroups.com, says...

On Nov 11, 3:44 pm, Jeff Findley wrote:
In article 4d40bd34-31aa-431f-9d8a-
, says....

Your very brown nose is noted. Next time when a rogue aircraft or
missile launch that's so easily cloaked as a commercial incoming
flight gets through, all because it took too long to properly
identify, we'll have Jeff Findley to thank.

It was never a rogue aircraft you dolt.

For at least several hours, no one including yourself knew what the
hell it was. *If something like that was bad news, with you in charge
it would be too late by the time anyone knew for certain.

Your failure in reasoning is noted. *It was hard to identify because the
eye witness got it wrong. *The original video wasn't long enough to
easily identify it as an aircraft, so everyone looking into this took
the Sherlock Holmes approach of eliminating everything it could have
been, and what remained was that it could have been a jet contrail
(which it was). *That sort of approach takes time.

You're crying wolf.

Better than being a dead wolf, as going with your first option. *Do
you also agree with everything rabbi Saul Levy has to say?

The aircraft in question was certainly tracked and was certainly identified,
otherwise it would have been intercepted by Air Force fighters. The US
Air Force isn't about to let an unidentified aircraft that big enter US
air space without permission.

In case you hadn't noticed, Russian bombers still play cat and mouse
with our Air Force. We still send up fighters to say "hi" and send them
back where they came from.

When our top officials were specifically asked, they didn't have a
clue. *

They didn't have a clue because nothing out of the ordinary happened
that day. *What happened was a bunch of civilians jumping to conclusions
over a short, shakey video tape. *

So it could have been anything, including a Russian or Chinese
aircraft as having easily taken the place of that US commercial
flight. *

Bull$hit! *If it would have been any of those, it would have been
detected and intercepted and if it didn't leave US air space, it would
have been shot down.

Just because it wasn't a rogue intruder this time doesn't
mean they had everything under control. *Do you really think whatever
bad guys wouldn't trail a commercial flight, or just as easily replace
one?

But if it was a rogue intruder, it would have been intercepted because
it would have shown up on radar and it wouldn't have had a transponder
corresponding to an aircraft with a flight plan.

The many cold wars are not actually over, are they.

Again, this is b.s. *Sure the Russians still play cat and mouse, but the
Cold War with the Soviet Union is absolutely over. *Today's capitolist
Russians have more trouble with former Soviet Union states than they do
with the US.

BTW; we didn't really win that space race unless hype, infomercials
and bogus eyecandy count. *Russia is the one that gets $20+M per
ticket to ride, and I'd doubt their net cost is more than $2M/seat
(that's $18M profit in a nation where the average income isn't half as
much as here).

You're redefining the Space Race. *The Space Race was to show which
superpower was technically and economically superior. *The US won that
race by putting men on the moon. *That was a huge technological and
economic feat in 1969. *In the four decades since Apollo 11 landed on
the moon, no other country on the planet has yet to duplicate that feat. *

Your reasoning is like that of the UFO nuts. *They claim the US
government must be covering up evidence of space aliens because the
government can't prove they don't exist. *The US government also can't
prove you don't have a live animal up your @$$, so I guess that must be
true too.

Jeff
--
42

Excuses, excuses, just like with TWA flight 800, the SEC and Ponzi
Madoff fiasco and 9/11.

We know where your family paychecks or retirement benefits comes from,
don't we.

~ BG
Old November 13th 10, 03:41 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

On 11/12/2010 10:39 AM, Rick Jones wrote:

Probably. Very Probably. Heck, Almost Certainly even. the US no
doubt have an exellect air defense system, but I will remind folks
about:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathias_Rust

As one member of the Soviet government at the time said; "It was
hooliganism; but it was _magnificent_ hooliganism."
The flight not only made the Soviet military look pretty silly, but also
made Reagan's giant defense build-up look pretty silly also, with
numerous cartoons showing his Cessna with captions like: "New Stealth
Bomber". :-D

Pat
Old November 15th 10, 07:15 AM posted to sci.space.policy
[email protected] |

Thanks to all for your comments.