Faith Based Scientists Paranoid About Possible Mars Life

Old January 12th 07, 03:56 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.environment,alt.sci.planetary
kT

Default Faith Based Scientists Paranoid About Possible Mars Life

http://www.reasons.org/about/index.shtml

What the **** is wrong with these people?

--
The Tsiolkovsky Group : http://www.lifeform.org

My Planetary BLOB : http://cosmic.lifeform.org

Get A Free Orbiter Space Flight Simulator :

http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/orbit.html
Old January 12th 07, 04:28 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.environment,alt.sci.planetary
[email protected]

I had a brief look at that link.

I wouldn't word it in quite the way that the previous person did but
I do have to ask why religious people seem to think that atheists are
looking for a reason to believe as if we are "missing" something.

I do not seek a reason to believe in a god and am perfectly at ease
being an atheist.

I hope I live long enough to see the religious reaction to the almost
inevitable discovery of life outside out planet. Their "holy
books" will need a certain amount of revision.

Jack

Old January 12th 07, 04:41 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.environment,alt.sci.planetary
Damon Hill[_2_]

" wrote in
oups.com:

I hope I live long enough to see the religious reaction to the almost
inevitable discovery of life outside out planet. Their "holy
books" will need a certain amount of revision.

Been a long time since I've read the Bible, but I do recall an
assertion that there are "other houses", taken to mean other
worlds with not just life, but sentient life.

People, and their religions, will adjust as needed. They always have.

--Damon

Old January 12th 07, 05:01 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.environment,alt.sci.planetary
Rand Simberg[_1_]

On 12 Jan 2007 08:28:32 -0800, in a place far, far away,
" made the phosphor
on my monitor glow in such a way as to indicate that:

I had a brief look at that link.

I wouldn't word it in quite the way that the previous person did but
I do have to ask why religious people seem to think that atheists are
looking for a reason to believe as if we are "missing" something.

I do not seek a reason to believe in a god and am perfectly at ease
being an atheist.

I hope I live long enough to see the religious reaction to the almost
inevitable discovery of life outside out planet. Their "holy
books" will need a certain amount of revision.

That seems unlikely, at least as regards Jews and Christians. There's
nothing intrinsic in either testament that says there can't be life on
other planets, as long as you're generous in your metaphorical
interpretation. The Church certainly doesn't believe that the Genesis
story has to be revised, just because we've found that it's off by
several billion years.
Old January 12th 07, 05:02 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Rand Simberg[_1_]

On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 10:41:14 -0600, in a place far, far away, Damon
Hill made the phosphor on my monitor glow
in such a way as to indicate that:

" wrote in
roups.com:

I hope I live long enough to see the religious reaction to the almost
inevitable discovery of life outside out planet. Their "holy
books" will need a certain amount of revision.

Been a long time since I've read the Bible, but I do recall an
assertion that there are "other houses", taken to mean other
worlds with not just life, but sentient life.

People, and their religions, will adjust as needed. They always have.

I think statements such as Jack's are an indicator of how clueless
many athiests are about religion and religious people.
Old January 12th 07, 05:10 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
kT

Rand Simberg wrote:
On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 10:41:14 -0600, in a place far, far away, Damon
Hill made the phosphor on my monitor glow
in such a way as to indicate that:

" wrote in
oups.com:

I hope I live long enough to see the religious reaction to the almost
inevitable discovery of life outside out planet. Their "holy
books" will need a certain amount of revision.

Been a long time since I've read the Bible, but I do recall an
assertion that there are "other houses", taken to mean other
worlds with not just life, but sentient life.

People, and their religions, will adjust as needed. They always have.

I think statements such as Jack's are an indicator of how clueless
many athiests are about religion and religious people.

You're right, we don't have a clue. What organized religion offers is
neither spiritual, nor scientifically or mathematically verifiable.

Organized religion is bereft of spirituality and truth.

Old January 12th 07, 06:40 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
[email protected]

Damon Hill wrote:
Been a long time since I've read the Bible, but I do recall an
assertion that there are "other houses", taken to mean other
worlds with not just life, but sentient life.

The verse "In my Father's house, there are many mansions" tends to be
taken simply as implying that in Heaven, apartment dwelling will not be
the norm.

The Bible, taken literally, implies that the starry sky at night is but
a decorative supplement to Earth's night sky.

John Savard

Old January 12th 07, 09:27 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.environment,alt.sci.planetary
Rand Simberg[_1_]

On 12 Jan 2007 13:17:32 -0800, in a place far, far away, "Doc"
made the phosphor on my monitor glow in such a
way as to indicate that:

ok you dont like religion but u dont need to insult it like that

He does. It's one of the many things trolls do.