Thrity Years From Now

Old December 31st 06, 07:18 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,rec.arts.sf.written
Jonathan

Default Thrity Years From Now

Just as climate change begins to take hold
the oil will start running out.

Europe devastated by a mini ice-age.
Droughts in the Americas.
Middle Eastern and western economies
shocked into unprecidented poverty.

Massive refugee streams, bringing hunger
and disease everywhere.

Wars of attrition.

A billion people die horribly in ten years.
And it takes another fifty to get back
to where we are now.

What has to happen to prevent this future?

Old December 31st 06, 08:18 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,rec.arts.sf.written
Brad Guth[_2_]

"Jonathan" wrote in message

What has to happen to prevent this future?

Since yourself and those of your favorite kind of seriously
big-nuclear-energy folks will not bother with or otherwise allow 100%
renewable technology to flourish, or much less for the option of going
off-world (such as even MEL1 or rather LSE-CM/ISS):

WW III seems like the one and only win-win for that of your old
big-energy gipper (a must do or die war over the global domination of
most all fossil and yellowcake energy resources that are not going to
last us but a couple of centuries at best, that is unless the population
of Earth is trimmed by at least 90%).

With roughly 10 billion folks soon enough to be on deck, as such we'll
need another 1e13 joules of squeaky clean and otherwise renewable energy
before the end of this century, and I alone can fix that with clean
energy to spare.

What exactly do you have to offer that's worth a clean and sustainable
10 terajoules by the end of this toasty, ice melting, ocean rising and
badly soot polluted century of absolute mega storms countless
compromises?

He3/fusion would certainly be nice. GOT He3 ?
-
Brad Guth

Old December 31st 06, 01:51 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,rec.arts.sf.written
Rand Simberg[_1_]

On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 02:18:48 -0500, in a place far, far away,
"Jonathan" made the phosphor on my monitor glow
in such a way as to indicate that:

Just as climate change begins to take hold
the oil will start running out.

Europe devastated by a mini ice-age.
Droughts in the Americas.
Middle Eastern and western economies
shocked into unprecidented poverty.

Massive refugee streams, bringing hunger
and disease everywhere.

Wars of attrition.

A billion people die horribly in ten years.
And it takes another fifty to get back
to where we are now.

What has to happen to prevent this future?

One has to live in this reality, instead of your nutty one.
Old December 31st 06, 02:06 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,rec.arts.sf.written
Jack Tingle

On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 02:18:48 -0500, "Jonathan"
wrote:

What has to happen to prevent this future?

A massive campaign to teach posters on Usenet how to spell 'thirty'?
I'm just guessing here. It seems some of the basics are lacking.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Old December 31st 06, 03:54 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,rec.arts.sf.written
kT

wrote:

What has to happen to prevent this future?

A massive campaign to teach posters on Usenet how to spell 'thirty'?
I'm just guessing here. It seems some of the basics are lacking.

We do that on purpose, it makes for a more classic usenet thread.

If you want this thread to still be around after thirty years, you've
got to jazz it up a bit, give it some character. This is the usenet.

Regards,
Jack Tingle

'Jack Tingle' is kinda classic usenet too, so please don't tell me
that's your real name. When was the last time you heard the phrase
'tingleberry' thrown around on the usenet. Be truthful, it's the usenet.

http://cosmic.lifeform.org
Old December 31st 06, 05:05 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,rec.arts.sf.written
Jonathan

Default Forty Years From Now

wrote:

What has to happen to prevent this future?

A massive campaign to teach posters on Usenet how to spell 'thirty'?

You mean it's not spelled that way?

I'm just guessing here.

So you're not sure either.

It seems some of the basics are lacking.

The question is what mismanaged 'basics' could cause or prevent
a worst-case near future? Say theerti or fourti years from now

Regards,
Jack Tingle

Old December 31st 06, 05:07 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,rec.arts.sf.written
Jonathan

"Rand Simberg" wrote in message
On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 02:18:48 -0500, in a place far, far away,
"Jonathan" made the phosphor on my monitor glow

What has to happen to prevent this future?

One has to live in this reality, instead of your nutty one.

How can anyone confuse a worst-case scenario with reality?

Old December 31st 06, 05:47 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,rec.arts.sf.written
Rand Simberg[_1_]

On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 12:07:43 -0500, in a place far, far away,
"Jonathan" made the phosphor on my monitor glow
in such a way as to indicate that:

"Rand Simberg" wrote in message
On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 02:18:48 -0500, in a place far, far away,
"Jonathan" made the phosphor on my monitor glow

What has to happen to prevent this future?

One has to live in this reality, instead of your nutty one.

How can anyone confuse a worst-case scenario with reality?

If it's a worst-case scenario, then it's not necessary that anything
happen (necessarily) to prevent it. It's unlikely to occur in any
event.
Old December 31st 06, 06:03 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,rec.arts.sf.written
[email protected]

Jonathan wrote:
Just as climate change begins to take hold
the oil will start running out.

First make up your mind which it is going to be global warming or
running out of oil?

If we are going run out of oil, how are you to continue have that GW?
Unless you are willing to admit that mankind is not the cause?

Old December 31st 06, 06:19 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,rec.arts.sf.written
Jim Oberg

If I pay you $10 today for all your owned property thirty years
from now, would you consider that a good deal for you? How
much today, for what you are warning will be worthless property
in the future? $100?

One requirement -- the agreement has to be inheritable -- I don't expect
to be able to collect -- but a few dozen such contracts and my grandkids
will never have to work another day in their lives, thanks to freaked-out
nits such as you.

Not too freaked out, I'm betting, to decline the bet... grin

.. .