Space Elevator

Old December 26th 06, 10:10 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
daedalus

Default Space Elevator

At 10 metres per second, which is a reasonably fast pace vertically, it will
take 46 days to climb a Space Elevator to geostationary orbit. Has anyone
considered the amount of consumables needed to accompany any crew on such a
journey?

Old December 27th 06, 12:30 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle
George[_1_]

"daedalus" wrote in message
. uk...
At 10 metres per second, which is a reasonably fast pace vertically, it
will take 46 days to climb a Space Elevator to geostationary orbit. Has
anyone considered the amount of consumables needed to accompany any crew
on such a journey?

Shouldn't we worry about getting the thing to work first?

George

Old December 27th 06, 03:18 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

"daedalus" wrote in message
. uk...
At 10 metres per second, which is a reasonably fast pace vertically, it
will take 46 days to climb a Space Elevator to geostationary orbit. Has
anyone considered the amount of consumables needed to accompany any crew
on such a journey?

I'm guessing about.. umm.. 46 days worth.

But why limit yourself to 10 m/s. Especially once you're above the bulk of
the atmosphere. At 100 m/s you're talking 4.6 days.

Old December 27th 06, 03:37 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Brad Guth[_2_]

"daedalus" wrote in message
. uk

At 10 metres per second, which is a reasonably fast pace vertically, it will
take 46 days to climb a Space Elevator to geostationary orbit. Has anyone
considered the amount of consumables needed to accompany any crew on such a
journey?

If they're frozen solid (as within a block of ice); what consumables?

Otherwise, lots of beer and pizza, plus a good channel of televised
smutt.
-
Brad Guth

Old December 27th 06, 12:05 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Brian Gaff

I'm going to stick my neck out and suggest that the space elevator will
never work, and probably will not even be tried.

Unless someone invents a mass simulator in the meantime, that is!

Brian

Email:

. uk...

Old December 28th 06, 05:18 AM
Patrick Boake Patrick Boake is offline
Junior Member

Location: Toronto

Quote:
Originally Posted by daedalus
At 10 metres per second, which is a reasonably fast pace vertically, it will
take 46 days to climb a Space Elevator to geostationary orbit. Has anyone
considered the amount of consumables needed to accompany any crew on such a
journey?
Several sources place the climber speed at 200kph (55.5m/s if my math is right) making the trip to GEO (62K miles) at about a week using current space elevator designs;

CNN - http://money.cnn.com/magazines/busin...0588/index.htm

New Scientist - http://space.newscientist.com/articl...radiation.html

--PB--
Old December 28th 06, 05:40 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Danny Deger

"daedalus" wrote in message
. uk...
At 10 metres per second, which is a reasonably fast pace vertically, it
will take 46 days to climb a Space Elevator to geostationary orbit. Has
anyone considered the amount of consumables needed to accompany any crew
on such a journey?

We have trains that go 200 miles/hour. I would think a "train" going up a
space elevator could go faster.

Danny Deger

Old December 29th 06, 01:26 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Z 1 Y 0 N 3 X

Brian, don't you think physicists have already taken into account that
the mass of the elevator itself affects the orbit as the earth is
spinning? I mean, the whole point of the elevator is to lift massive
amounts of supplies into space cost effectively. I am sure they would
have taken into account the elevator itself.

I have very high expectations for the elevator. The hardest part about
building stations and structures in space and on other planets is
getting the supplies themselves out of our atmosphere and our
gravitational pull... the elevator would essentially eliminate those
problems. I am not saying the elevator will be an easy feat. Not at
all. I would love to see someone produce miles and miles of perfectly
assembled carbon nanotube ribbon with the technology we have today.

I have temporarily given up my hope for NASA. I guess we will have to
rely on private enterprises to do the majority of the dirty work.
Anyone know when the next X-Prize is?

Also, I forgot to ask, that 10m/s speed applies for about how much
load? Or does it not matter how heavy the load? I am not familiar about
the power of laser energy. Would increased speed make the elevator
unstable? Do we currently possess the technology to power such an
elevator with multiple laser emitting devices? Or are we still working
on that as well... gl.

Old January 1st 07, 03:45 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Brad Guth[_2_]

"Danny Deger" wrote in message

We have trains that go 200 miles/hour. I would think a "train" going up a
space elevator could go faster.

It should, and it must go faster (at least 100 m/s if not a full km/s),
that is unless it's delivering something inert, like pizza and beer.

Problem is, the spendy LiftPort ESE fiasco is exactly what it is. So,
what's to honestly argue about?
-
Brad Guth

Old January 1st 07, 04:14 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Brad Guth[_2_]

"Patrick Boake" wrote in message

Several sources place the climber speed at 200kph (55.5m/s if my math
is right) making the trip to GEO (62K miles) at about a week using
current space elevator designs;

CNN - http://tinyurl.com/nl2wq

New Scientist - http://tinyurl.com/yyxnnx

That sounds more like it, though spaceport/liftport is still an ongoing
ruse that'll keep costing us until there's nothing left to spare.

Decades from now when tonnes of whatever is getting deployed via spendy
and hard to keep-up ESE method, we'll be deep into having to survive the
likes of WW-III.

The total birth to grave energy budget for the liftport/spaceport ESE
alternative isn't getting talked about, and that's for good reason(s),
isn't it.
-
Brad Guth