Extra Giant Planet May Have Dwelled in Our Solar System

Old November 18th 11, 07:34 PM posted to sci.space.policy
[email protected]

Default Extra Giant Planet May Have Dwelled in Our Solar System

"Within our solar system, an extra giant planet, or
possibly two, might once have accompanied Jupiter,
Saturn, Neptune and Uranus.

Computer models showing how our solar system
formed suggested the planets once gravitationally
slung one another across space, only settling into
their current orbits over the course of billions of
years."

See:

http://www.space.com/13584-extra-gia...ar-system.html

Old November 18th 11, 08:40 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Doug Freyburger

quoted:

"Within our solar system, an extra giant planet, or
possibly two, might once have accompanied Jupiter,
Saturn, Neptune and Uranus.

Computer models showing how our solar system
formed suggested the planets once gravitationally
slung one another across space, only settling into
their current orbits over the course of billions of
years."

Who knows how many large objects there are in interstellar space. I
suggest that once humans have fusio drives humanity will start moving
out into the Ort Cloud. There are so many planet sized bodies out their
we will eventually migrate through interstellar space to the clouds
around other stars. I think most of those clouds overlap to some
extent.

Similar will have happened when dwarf galaxies have merged into large
galaxies. There are supposed to be large black holes in the center of
almost every large galaxy. Almost every large galaxy is assembled from
many dwarf galaxies. In the process a vast number of huge black holes
must have been ejected into intergalatic space. The matter visible in
galaxies is the tip of the iceberg. I tend to think that a lot more of
it is present than the dark matter advocates suggest.
Old November 19th 11, 03:56 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Orval Fairbairn

In article ,
Doug Freyburger wrote:

quoted:

[...]

The real problem is navigating the uncharted realms between stars. If
you are chucking along at Warp 5, you don't know what might be in your
way -- like an ice planet! It would be about like trying to fly through
mountains, in the clouds, at night, without navigation or charts. OUCH!
Old November 20th 11, 08:45 AM posted to sci.space.policy
[email protected] |

On Nov 18, 7:56*pm, Orval Fairbairn wrote:
In article ,
*Doug Freyburger wrote:

quoted:

[...]

Well at 1/40 the speed of light it might possible to avoid the chucks.
The trick to going long is living long. Awake during the long night
as the extra stem cell infusion keeps one biological young and
healthy.

For the big jump, the ship will need real massie shielding for
radiation,
sensors to detect upcoming fragments of creation,
and better humans..............................Trig
Old November 21st 11, 05:38 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Doug Freyburger

Orval Fairbairn wrote:
*Doug Freyburger wrote:

[...]

If humanity colonizes the Ort cloud then speed is much less important.
Live there and hop from comet to comet. All without warp speed or
unreasonable shielding. Solve the radiation problem from fusion plants
and it is likely the radiation problem of deep space will be solved in
similar fashion.
Old November 21st 11, 06:19 PM posted to sci.space.policy
J. Clarke[_2_]

In article , says...

Orval Fairbairn wrote:
*Doug Freyburger wrote:

[...]

I'm curious as to what "radiation problem" that would be.

Old November 22nd 11, 03:03 AM posted to sci.space.policy
J. Clarke[_2_]

In article , says...

J. Clarke wrote:
says...

If humanity colonizes the Ort cloud then speed is much less important.
Live there and hop from comet to comet. All without warp speed or
unreasonable shielding. Solve the radiation problem from fusion plants

I'm curious as to what "radiation problem" that would be.

and it is likely the radiation problem of deep space will be solved in
similar fashion.

Cosmic ray primaries are everywhere in interstellar space. That's the
minimum. Solar wind and solar flare storms continue to be a problem
until you're very far away from the Sun. Before leaving the gravity
well there will also be a need to deal with the belts around any body
with a magnetic field.

Both the Earth's magnetic field and atmosphere shield us a lot. We're
evolved to handle a lower level of radiation than will be prevalent out
there.

The radiation problem from fusion plants in specific is fusion reactions
release gamma rays and neutrons. Gamma is ionizing and any leakage from
the plant is a problem. Neutrons make stuff radioactive which is worse
if there is leakage.

Fission reactions also produce gamma rays and neutrons and this has not
been an obstacle to their use. So to characterize anything associated
with nuclear reactors as a "problem" requires more support than you have
given.

Old November 22nd 11, 08:44 AM posted to sci.space.policy
[email protected] |

Orval Fairbairn wrote:
*Doug Freyburger wrote:

[...]

Developing the skill set to mine the chunks of dirty ice may be
a pretty huge challenge. It is so bitterly cold out there and metals
would shatter in some instances. It might be easier to take
the big jump. Though finding life on the other end might be
a deal killier in that life in one place may have dire results for
life from another.
Old November 22nd 11, 07:25 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Doug Freyburger

Doug Freyburger wrote:

If humanity colonizes the Ort cloud then speed is much less important.
Live there and hop from comet to comet. *All without warp speed or
unreasonable shielding. *Solve the radiation problem from fusion plants
and it is likely the radiation problem of deep space will be solved in
similar fashion.

Developing the skill set to mine the chunks of dirty ice may be
a pretty huge challenge. It is so bitterly cold out there and metals
would shatter in some instances. It might be easier to take
the big jump. Though finding life on the other end might be
a deal killier in that life in one place may have dire results for
life from another.

If someone were to invent the warp drive or even a working Bussard
ramship I'd agree. But I think as we gradually explore the solar system
the technology needed to colonize the Oort cloud will be developed
anyways. My model needs a lot of steps that are known to be possible.

What model do you have for launching and powering a starship? Large
solar arrays in Mercury orbit could power their launch but could not
power their deceleration. That's the fastest option I know of that uses
what is known to be possible.