ASTRO: UGC 1810 and UGC 1813 (Arp 273)

Old January 13th 09, 10:03 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Default ASTRO: UGC 1810 and UGC 1813 (Arp 273)

UGC 1810 and UGC 1813 is a pair of galaxies in Andromeda that is also listed
as Arp273. I used the current model Meade f/6.3 reducer here, which gave a
focal ratio of f/5.1 with the large distance between reducer and camera I
used. My old Celestron f/6.3 reducer (still "made in Japan") gives f/5.7 at
this setting, it also has much less vignetting and better starshapes near
the edge (had to crop this image because of bad stars).

Taken from the middle of Berlin with a 10" Meade ARC at f/5.1, SXV-H9
camera, 34x5 minutes.

The picture can also be found at
http://ccd-astronomy.de/temp2/UGC1810-34x5gut.jpg

Stefan

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	UGC1810-34x5gut.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	2301
Old January 13th 09, 10:25 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Stefan Lilge wrote:
UGC 1810 and UGC 1813 is a pair of galaxies in Andromeda that is also listed
as Arp273. I used the current model Meade f/6.3 reducer here, which gave a
focal ratio of f/5.1 with the large distance between reducer and camera I
used. My old Celestron f/6.3 reducer (still "made in Japan") gives f/5.7 at
this setting, it also has much less vignetting and better starshapes near
the edge (had to crop this image because of bad stars).

Taken from the middle of Berlin with a 10" Meade ARC at f/5.1, SXV-H9
camera, 34x5 minutes.

The picture can also be found at
http://ccd-astronomy.de/temp2/UGC1810-34x5gut.jpg

Stefan

Hey, I was just about to post an image of this pair. You beat me to it!
You keep surprising me with what you can image from inside Berlin.
This was a difficult target (and processing challenge) from my dark
skies. No way I could have done it from your location.

Rick

Old January 14th 09, 06:33 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
J McBride

A SCT working @ f/5.1! I am thinking about trading my C-11 for a 10" ARC.
I would like a 12" but the G-11 might whine a little with the extra weight.
Nice image BTW. I like the star sizes.

Joe

Joe

Old January 14th 09, 07:40 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Thanks Joe.
The f/5.1 setting produced "strange" starshapes near the edge of the field
which I cropped out. With my old Celestron reducer I get good stars over the
FOV of my (rather small) chip at f/5.7.
I agree that 12" would be a challenge for the G11 unless you have an
observatory where the scope is shielded from wind. In windy nights I have to
take off the dewshield of my 10" to give the wind a smaller target.

Stefan

y...