Astro: The Fly, NGC 1931

Old October 27th 08, 08:56 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default Astro: The Fly, NGC 1931

In late July I ran IC 417 the "Spider Nebula" which had sat unprocessed
on my drive for months due to nasty gradients from a nearby star I
didn't know how to deal with at the time. It is part of the Spider and
the Fly nebula complex. I finally got a chance to image the Fly part.
They are too far apart for me to mosaic the two. I'd need several in
the middle. For those that didn't keep the Spider image it is at:
http://www.spacebanter.com/attachmen...tid=2093&stc=1. Note
the Spider image has 90 minutes of H alpha data blended in. None was
used for the fly below. Both are part of the same huge molecular cloud.
Each is lit by the intense radiation of the star clusters forming in
their respective parts of the cloud. NGC 1931 is the Fly. The spider
was an emission nebula but the Fly is both emission (red) and reflective
(blue). Some parts are lit by stars now quite hot enough or whose light
isn't strong enough to cause the hydrogen to ionize so we see the blue
of a reflection nebula. The entire complex, imaged with a wide angle
telescope is at:
http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap061027.html

14" LX200R, L=4x10' binned 2x2, RGB=2x10' binned 3x3, STL-11000XM,
Paramount ME

Rick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NGC1931L4X10RGB2X10X3r.jpg
Views:	545
Size:	500.2 KB
ID:	2243

Old October 29th 08, 10:49 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Amazing result Rick. Very deep with beautiful colours. I have attached my
own version just to show how much better your image is than a "standard"
image.

Stefan

"Rick Johnson" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
ster.com...
[...]

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1931-27x5gut.jpg (141.9 KB, 152 views)
Old October 31st 08, 05:34 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Wide band from in Berlin I'm amazed you got what you did. This guy
isn't as bright as I expected. The spider only has an IC number yet
seems brighter to me than this guy with its "upscale" NGC number. I was
thinking I should have added some H-alpha to it but think that would
unbalance the reflective part so didn't take any.

Rick