....."I looked at it and it was a B-29"

Old August 6th 07, 10:26 PM posted to us.military.army,rec.arts.sf.written,alt.politics,sci.space.history,soc.culture.japan
MajorOz

Default ....."I looked at it and it was a B-29"

On Aug 5, 7:39 pm, "Jonathan" wrote:
61 quotes

"I heard a voice shout, "A parachute is coming down."

"After I noticed the flash, white clouds spread over the blue sky..."
a blue flash from the window...
it was not really a big flash...
blue flash of light just like a spark...
made by a train or some short circuit....
spark and bang...
it was yellow...
I opened the window...
there came the flash....
camera flash bulb....

"he said, ``That was a killer beam"..."
I saw something flash suddenly.....
bluish-white flash like a magnesium flare outside the window...
we saw a yellow ray of light from the north...
could only see people's shadows...
as if lightening had struck....
the world around me turned bright white..
nothing more than that brilliant yellow light..
a stone lantern in the garden became brilliantly lit...
garden shadows disappeared...

"the world went white..."
a tiny, glittering, white object about the size of a grain of rice...
tinged with yellow.... and red...
soon grew into a monstrous fireball...
it was travelling in my direction...
it measured 200 meters in diameter...
bright red pillar of fire...
sometimes it was hollow at the center....
at other times, broiling...
leaping flames blew out of the center....

"I am under the impression that it exploded directly over our house..."

"then came the heat wave..."
my forehead felt hot....
i felt hot...
ten seconds since the flash of light....
yellowish scarlet plume rising like a candle fire...
just like a white wave head coming toward me while standing on the beach....
the wave steadily approached...
houses levitated a little and then crushed down to the ground...
things and flames were falling from the sky...
sheet of fire...

"a whirlpool of fire approached..."
a big tornado of fire...
an earsplitting roar...
big noise...
tremendous noise...

"when the blow came, I closed my eyes..."

"felt weightless as if I were an astronaut..."
the sensation of floating in the air...
hundreds of needles were stabbing me...
now dark and hazy...

"the sky was dull...."
couldn't see anything in the dark...
it looked like twilight...
until the darkness disappeared...
pitch black swirling smoke...

"total silence and darkness..."
"then big black drops of rain..."

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...ess&btnG=Googl...

One Quote

"After avoiding getting my ass shot off on Okinawa, I'm happy it won't
happen at Honshu".

oz

Old August 7th 07, 02:54 AM posted to us.military.army,rec.arts.sf.written,alt.politics,sci.space.history,soc.culture.japan
Chairman Mao says:

Japanese Defense Chief: Atomic Bombing 'Couldn't Be Helped'
Saturday, June 30, 2007

a.. E-MAIL STORY
b.. PRINTER FRIENDLY VERSION
TOKYO - Defense Minister Fumio Kyuma said the dropping of atomic bombs on
Japan by the United States during World War II was an inevitable way to end
the war, a news report said Saturday.

"I understand that the bombing ended the war, and I think that it couldn't
be helped," Kyodo News agency quoted Kyuma as saying in a speech at a
university in Chiba, just east of Tokyo.

Kyuma's remarks drew immediate criticism from Japanese atomic bomb
survivors.

"The U.S. justifies the bombings saying they saved many American lives,"
said Nobuo Miyake, 78, director-general of a group of victims living in
Tokyo. "It's outrageous for a Japanese politician to voice such thinking.
Japan is a victim."

Defense Ministry officials were not immediately available for comment
Saturday.

On Aug. 6, 1945, the U.S. dropped a bomb nicknamed "Little Boy" on
Hiroshima, killing at least 140,000 people in the world's first atomic bomb
attack. Three days later, it dropped another atomic bomb, "Fat Man," on
Nagasaki. City officials say about 74,000 died.

(Story continues below)

Advertise Here

Japan, which had attacked the United States at Pearl Harbor, surrendered on
Aug. 15, 1945.

Bombing survivors have developed various illnesses from radiation exposure,
including cancer and liver diseases.

Kyuma, who is from Nagasaki, said the bombing caused great suffering in the
city, but he does not resent the U.S. because it prevented the Soviet Union
from entering the war with Japan, Kyodo said.

oups.com...

Old August 7th 07, 07:52 AM posted to us.military.army,rec.arts.sf.written,alt.politics,sci.space.history,soc.culture.japan
Pat Flannery

Jim Oberg wrote:
Translate that into Chinese, say, and see how it flies.

You should have seen the look on the survivors of the Japanese atomic
bomb project when they first laid eyes on those photocopies of the
presumably lost documents about the project that one of the junior
scientists in the project dragged off to the University of Arkansas with
him after the war, and his wife made public after his death:
http://hnn.us/readcomment.php?id=9300
The jig was up then.
At least the military commander of the project fessed up to it being a
nuclear bomb project and not some sort of reactor program.
The others were doing some fairly nervous laughter, and looking a lot
like someone had handed them a live viper.
"Yes, that does seem to be my name...how did that get on here? There
should be other names besides mine, I didn't work on this all alone."
No one knows how far the navy program got, but the army program in
Tokyo had figured out how to make uranium hexafluoride and had built a
thermal diffusion device to enrich the U-235 content in the gas.

Pat
Old August 7th 07, 03:13 PM posted to us.military.army,rec.arts.sf.written,alt.politics,sci.space.history,soc.culture.japan
Jim Oberg

"Chairman Mao says:" wrote

TOKYO - Defense Minister Fumio Kyuma said the dropping of atomic bombs on
Japan by the United States during World War II was an inevitable way to
end the war, a news report said Saturday.

Bombing survivors have developed various illnesses from radiation
exposure, including cancer and liver diseases.

Kyuma, who is from Nagasaki, said the bombing caused great suffering in
the city, but he does not resent the U.S. because it prevented the Soviet
Union from entering the war with Japan, Kyodo said.

Curious, because Russia did enter the war -- but if the war had lasted
longer,
without the bombs, the Russians had demanded they get to occupy Hokkaido at
least,
and maybe northern parts of Honshu.

In terms of mortality, the bomb survivors had more of radiation-related
diseases,
but less of others -- and statisitically turned out to be healthier than
other Japanese.
But that's no reproduceable 'cure' -- it probably was related to how the
weaker
members of those exposed died soon afterwards leaving those with inherently
stronger dispositions.

Despite revisionist claims, it seems persuasive to me that a non-A-bombed
Japan
would have fought on for months, in Japan and in China and elsewhere, would
have
killed the several hundred thousand imprisoned and interned allied
populations,
would have inflicted -- and themselves suffered -- millions of civilian
casualties,
even before 'Olympic' was to hit the beaches in November.

'Olympic' was a dice-roll to begin with, and with Japanese reenforcements --
including 5000 planes and pilots ready for kamikaze attacks -- and with the
sudden unexpected worst typhoon of the century hitting Okinawa, it could
have
become a disaster. Had it been a failure, the Japanese population would have
been
committed to suicidal resistence for years to come -- tens of millions dead.

Yes, the bombs saved American lives -- and Japanese, and Chinese, and
Korean,
and British, and Russian lives, and others.

As for those killed by the bombs -- that included American POWS -- I'd have
say that by August 1945 I'd have been pretty well out of tears already after
the horrors
brought by Japan to Asia and to Americans and Europeans.

Old August 7th 07, 05:59 PM posted to us.military.army,rec.arts.sf.written,alt.politics,sci.space.history,soc.culture.japan
Damien Valentine

On Aug 7, 7:13 am, "Jim Oberg" wrote:
Despite revisionist claims, it seems persuasive to me that a non-A-bombed
Japan would have fought on for months, in Japan and in China and elsewhere,
would have killed the several hundred thousand imprisoned and interned allied
populations, would have inflicted -- and themselves suffered -- millions of civilian
casualties, even before 'Olympic' was to hit the beaches in November...
Had it been a failure, the Japanese population would have been
committed to suicidal resistence for years to come -- tens of millions dead.

Yes, the bombs saved American lives -- and Japanese, and Chinese, and
Korean, and British, and Russian lives, and others.

In the 13th century, Genghis Khan and his descendants made a practice
of killing every man, woman, child and beast in every city they took
the trouble to besiege, and making heaps of skulls to mark their
victory. Casualties from Genghis' campaign in China alone -- to say
nothing of later Mongol invasions of Persia, Russia, Korea or Eastern
Europe -- numbered somewhere between 30 and 60 million people, almost
as many as died during World War II (Axis, Allies, and Holocaust
victims combined). The cities of Nishapur and Samarkand were
effectively wiped off the map.

That said, the Khans were careful only to annihilate the populations
who resisted them. Those who immediately submitted, sparing Genghis
the trouble of a siege, were allowed to evacuate their cities before
the Mongols looted and burned them, and permitted to survive as
slaves. The examples made of places like Nishapur and Samarkand
encouraged the populations of places like Damascus to surrender
quickly, thus saving millions of lives.

Clearly, the annihilation of Nishapur and Samarkand were not only
necessary, but moral actions. Genghis Khan was not a barbarian
warlord leading bloodthirsty hordes, but the most enlightened and
humane of medieval statesmen. How do we know? He killed so many
people.

Old August 7th 07, 06:09 PM posted to us.military.army,rec.arts.sf.written,alt.politics,sci.space.history,soc.culture.japan
Rand Simberg[_1_]

On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 16:59:59 -0000, in a place far, far away, Damien
Valentine made the phosphor on my monitor glow in
such a way as to indicate that:

[...]

What an idiotic analogy.
Old August 7th 07, 08:34 PM posted to us.military.army,rec.arts.sf.written,alt.politics,sci.space.history,soc.culture.japan
Pat Flannery

,
but less of others -- and statisitically turned out to be healthier than
other Japanese.
But that's no reproduceable 'cure' -- it probably was related to how the
weaker
members of those exposed died soon afterwards leaving those with inherently
stronger dispositions.

It also might have been due to the fact that the inhabitants of the two
cities probably were very closely monitored for radiation-related
diseases after the war, and the medical exams might have turned up
other, non-radiation related diseases and allowed their early treatment.

Pat
Old August 8th 07, 10:19 AM posted to us.military.army,rec.arts.sf.written,alt.politics,sci.space.history,soc.culture.japan
Hiroshima Facts

On Aug 7, 10:13 am, "Jim Oberg" wrote:

As for those killed by the bombs -- that included American POWS -- I'd have
to say that by August 1945 I'd have been pretty well out of tears already
after the horrors brought by Japan to Asia and to Americans and
Europeans.

Indeed:

http://www.nesa.org.uk/html/dissecting.htm

Old August 8th 07, 10:54 PM posted to us.military.army,rec.arts.sf.written,alt.politics,sci.space.history,soc.culture.japan
Damien Valentine

On Aug 7, 10:09 am, (Rand Simberg)
wrote:
What an idiotic analogy.- Hide quoted text -

I was never very good at analogies. All the same, I don't see why we
praise some examples of the mass killing of civilians, and damn
others. Since the days of Genghis Khan, they have all been justified
by the "well, if we kill X amount of innocents today, we won't have to
kill Y amount of innocents tomorrow". We don't accept that excuse for
the ancients and our enemies; why besides simple prejudice should we
accept it for Harry Truman?