Faith Based Scientists Paranoid About Possible Mars Life

Old January 13th 07, 08:27 PM posted to sci.space.history
Eric Chomko

Default Faith Based Scientists Paranoid About Possible Mars Life

OM wrote:
On Sat, 13 Jan 2007 02:48:39 -0500, "God"
wrote:

Seriously. A third of AmeriKKKans are seriously ****ed in the head.

PLONK

...I always wanted to PLONK "god".

One wonders if you'd kiss the ass of the devil...

OM
--
]=====================================[
] Let's face it: Sometimes you *need* [

Old January 13th 07, 10:21 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.environment,alt.sci.planetary
Pat Flannery

kT wrote:

Not by a long shot... although there might be considerable liquid CO2
below the surface of Mars.

Nick Hoffman is a crackpot. End of discussion.

Well, let's see... we've got a planet whose atmosphere is primarily CO2,
which has CO2 snow at its icecaps, and has eruptions of CO2 gas at its
south pole.
So we've got lots of solid and gaseous CO2, and at Martian temperatures
all that is needed to get liquid CO2 is some pressure, like you'd find
underground for instance.
On the other hand, water vapor in the atmosphere is extremely scarce to
undetectable, we haven't yet seen any liquid water running around on
the surface even down in the Hellas basin in high summer, and the only
two ways we can have it underground are via some sort of exotic hydrogen
peroxide/water mixture or internal heating of the planet by latent
vulcanism... of which we have no evidence.
Of course we do have the report on the H2O2 containing Mars critters
that's co-authored by the parapsychologist, so maybe he knows, being
that he's in psychic contact with them. :-D

Pat
Old January 13th 07, 10:51 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.environment,alt.sci.planetary
Scott Hedrick

""Peter Bjørn Perlsø"" wrote in message
Yes, "And god created man in his image" and all that entails needs a
good debunking.

I've always preferred to think of that as referring more towards mental or
psychological than physical. Doesn't Ezekiel say that God has 7 ears and 7
eyes?

Old January 13th 07, 11:11 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.environment,alt.sci.planetary
Pat Flannery

God wrote:

Even less likely than brine I'm afraid. CO2 doesn't have a wide range of
temp/pressure in which it is liquid and motile.

You didn't look at that phase diagram, did you?
http://scifun.chem.wisc.edu/chemweek...se_diagram.gif
We had a fire extinguisher full of liquid CO2 in our house, I used it to
put out a woman's car fire one night.
CO2's triple point (-56.6 C) is within ten degrees centigrade of the
average temperature of Mars (-63 C).

Pat
Old January 13th 07, 11:18 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.environment,alt.sci.planetary
Peter Bjørn Perlsø

Scott Hedrick wrote:

""Peter Bjørn Perlsø"" wrote in message
Yes, "And god created man in his image" and all that entails needs a
good debunking.

I've always preferred to think of that as referring more towards mental or
psychological than physical. Doesn't Ezekiel say that God has 7 ears and 7
eyes?

Beats me. Bu the church faithful have always assumed that *man* had a
special place in the center of the universe.

Lets see how that fares once ETs pop up.

--
regards , Peter B. P. - http://titancity.com/blog , http://macplanet.dk

"If guns kill, do pencils cause spelling errors?"
Old January 14th 07, 12:33 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.environment,alt.sci.planetary
Pat Flannery

Scott Hedrick wrote:
I've always preferred to think of that as referring more towards mental or
psychological than physical. Doesn't Ezekiel say that God has 7 ears and 7
eyes?

Sounds Hindu.
Either that, or he read the wrong passage out of "The Necronomicon".
Here's the juicy stuff from old Zeke:
http://www.justbible.com/Chapters/B26C023.htm

Pat
Old January 14th 07, 01:05 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.environment,alt.sci.planetary
God

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message
You didn't look at that phase diagram, did you?
http://scifun.chem.wisc.edu/chemweek...se_diagram.gif
We had a fire extinguisher full of liquid CO2 in our house, I used it to
put out a woman's car fire one night.
CO2's triple point (-56.6 C) is within ten degrees centigrade of the
average temperature of Mars (-63 C).

Snicker. And you need a minimum of around 400 bar to keep the stuff
liquid - more if the temp rises a bit.

You don't increase the pressure on a liquid by simply dumping a pile of
stone on top of it. try doing that with a cup of water by dumping a hand
full of sand into the cup. Does the surface pressure go up?

Nope.

So what's the pressure of on CO2, 1, 10, 200, 2000 feet below ground
level? Essentially the same as it is at ground level. 6 millibars, not 400
bars.

Liquid... Ahahahahahahahahahahah.....

Old January 14th 07, 01:12 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.environment,alt.sci.planetary
God

"Pat Flannery" wrote
Well, let's see... we've got a planet whose atmosphere is primarily CO2,

No, you have a planet whose atmosphere is primarily GONE.

"Pat Flannery" wrote
which has CO2 snow at its icecaps, and has eruptions of CO2 gas at its
south pole.

Which has CO2 and water ice at its ice caps and possible eruptions of CO2
at it's southern pole during spring when the CO2 ice fields melt from the
bottom up.

"Pat Flannery" wrote
So we've got lots of solid and gaseous CO2, and at Martian temperatures
all that is needed to get liquid CO2 is some pressure, like you'd find
underground for instance.

Liquids feel no exstra pressure under ground. If they did, then they
would simply rise to the surface.

Stupid... Stupid.. Flannery.

"Pat Flannery" wrote
On the other hand, water vapor in the atmosphere is extremely scarce to
undetectable,

The observation of fog in low lying areas and surface frost (water) are
commonplace.

"Pat Flannery" wrote
we haven't yet seen any liquid water running around on
the surface even down in the Hellas basin in high summer, and the only
two ways we can have it underground are via some sort of exotic hydrogen
peroxide/water mixture or internal heating of the planet by latent
vulcanism...

Or maybe something else. I think something else.

Lets go see.

"Pat Flannery" wrote
Of course we do have the report on the H2O2 containing Mars critters
that's co-authored by the parapsychologist, so maybe he knows, being
that he's in psychic contact with them. :-D

Doubtful. But even if he thought so, he would still make more sense than
George, Can't find them WMD I promised were there, Bush.

Old January 14th 07, 11:34 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.environment
Z 1 Y 0 N 3 X

I recall some of you posting that you think religion etc. will be
disproved someday. Maybe. I have very high doubts that the disproof of
a God will have any effect on the general public though. I've quoted
this guy before, and I'll quote him again, this is very well put:

"I don't think that mankind is going to give up religion, even
fundamentalism, anytime in the foreseeable future.
For one thing, to really understand science and the way the universe
works requires knowledge in math, physics,
chemistry, biology, and other fields. And most devout people are
unwilling and/or unable to exert the effort to
acquire that knowledge. And given the poor quality of most public
schools and the mind-rotting content of most mass media, I don't
think that is going to change. So while mankind's knowledge of
science will continue to expand, the percentage of the population who
understand that science will continue to shrink. And that means that
religion, and especially fundamentalism, will continue to thrive."
- John Salisbury