Monday is Mercury transit

Old May 6th 16, 10:50 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
RichA[_6_]

Default Monday is Mercury transit

And the weather looks good in the U.S. NE.
Old May 7th 16, 06:30 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris.B[_3_]

On Friday, 6 May 2016 23:50:49 UTC+2, RichA wrote:
And the weather looks good in the U.S. NE.

Let us pray that light pollution doesn't spoil your day. ;-)
Old May 7th 16, 07:06 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
oriel36[_2_]

On Friday, May 6, 2016 at 10:50:49 PM UTC+1, RichA wrote:
And the weather looks good in the U.S. NE.

Remember now, when the inner planets overtake the Earth they are at the center of retrogrades and darkest as we see it from a slower moving Earth -

http://www.astronomynorth.com/wp-con...4-schedler.jpg

The outer planets are brightest as our planet overtakes them at the center of retrogrades -

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/image/0312...rs03_tezel.jpg

It is not only the dynamical perspectives which partitions the inner and outer planets as seen from a moving Earth and indeed many observers already put the inner planets as they move from a evening appearance (left of Sun) to a morning appearance (right of Sun)into proper context but there is so much more that is lost to the concerns of celestial sphere enthusiasts.

An agile mind allied with a generous heart is best suited to venture into the astronomical arena and honor the great motions which put our own planet into perspective and why life is so precious.

Old May 9th 16, 01:00 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Mike Collins[_4_]

Chris.B wrote:
On Friday, 6 May 2016 23:50:49 UTC+2, RichA wrote:
And the weather looks good in the U.S. NE.

Let us pray that light pollution doesn't spoil your day. ;-)

Not a cloud in the sky here in East Anglia. A perfect view of the start of
the transit.

Old May 9th 16, 01:35 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
RichA[_6_]

On Monday, 9 May 2016 08:03:54 UTC-4, Mike Collins wrote:
Chris.B wrote:
On Friday, 6 May 2016 23:50:49 UTC+2, RichA wrote:
And the weather looks good in the U.S. NE.

Let us pray that light pollution doesn't spoil your day. ;-)

Not a cloud in the sky here in East Anglia. A perfect view of the start of
the transit.

More or less clear in Toronto, some heat-generated clouds.
Old May 9th 16, 03:31 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Morten Reistad[_2_]

Chris.B wrote:
On Friday, 6 May 2016 23:50:49 UTC+2, RichA wrote:
And the weather looks good in the U.S. NE.

Let us pray that light pollution doesn't spoil your day. ;-)

Not a cloud in the sky here in East Anglia. A perfect view of the start of
the transit.

More or less clear in Toronto, some heat-generated clouds.

Clear skies in Oslo. Amazing how small Mercury is related to the Sun.

-- mrr

Old May 9th 16, 03:45 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
oriel36[_2_]

On Monday, May 9, 2016 at 3:31:04 PM UTC+1, Morten Reistad wrote:
Chris.B wrote:
On Friday, 6 May 2016 23:50:49 UTC+2, RichA wrote:
And the weather looks good in the U.S. NE.

Let us pray that light pollution doesn't spoil your day. ;-)

Not a cloud in the sky here in East Anglia. A perfect view of the start of
the transit.

More or less clear in Toronto, some heat-generated clouds.

Clear skies in Oslo. Amazing how small Mercury is related to the Sun.

-- mrr

You are among the first people to see the reason why Mercury moves in one direction against the background stars and then moves in the opposite direction as it swings out from behind the Sun to its widest point seen from a slower moving Earth before swinging back in front of the Sun -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdFrE7hWj0A

The retrograde motion of the outer planets is based solely on relative speeds between the faster motion of the Earth and the slower moving outer planets as they fall behind in view as the Earth overtakes them.

Like cars on a racetrack, the inner planets provide a spectacle every bit as delightful as the outer planets and it is so easy today to put Mercury overtaking our slower moving Earth in many different contexts. Engineering to get people into space is hard but this stuff is easy for those who exercise that judgment part of their minds that rarely if ever gets used.

I honor the original heliocentric astronomers who took the first steps and now I take another.

Old May 9th 16, 03:52 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Sam Wormley[_2_]

Overcast and rain in central Iowa.

The next opportunities are Nov. 11, 2019 and Nov. 13, 2032.

--

sci.physics is an unmoderated newsgroup dedicated
to the discussion of physics, news from the physics

Old May 9th 16, 04:24 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Mon, 9 May 2016 09:52:29 -0500, Sam Wormley
wrote:

Overcast and rain in central Iowa.

Too bad. Pretty clear here in Colorado so far, but there are
increasing clouds and probable snow or thunderstorms this afternoon,
so I don't know if I'll see the whole thing. Got this about an hour
ago:

http://cloudbait.com/gallery/planets...60509_1429.jpg
Old May 9th 16, 04:30 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Sam Wormley[_2_]

wrote:

Overcast and rain in central Iowa.

Too bad. Pretty clear here in Colorado so far, but there are
increasing clouds and probable snow or thunderstorms this afternoon,
so I don't know if I'll see the whole thing. Got this about an hour
ago:

http://cloudbait.com/gallery/planets...60509_1429.jpg

Thanks.

--

sci.physics is an unmoderated newsgroup dedicated
to the discussion of physics, news from the physics
community, and physics-related social issues.

Mercury Transit John Banister Amateur Astronomy 6 November 10th 06 12:51 AM
Mercury Transit - HOT! [email protected] Amateur Astronomy 3 November 9th 06 05:29 AM
Mercury Transit AM Amateur Astronomy 5 November 7th 06 11:00 PM
Mercury Transit? [email protected] Amateur Astronomy 5 October 26th 06 07:09 PM
Mercury transit Stargazer Solar 0 October 22nd 06 06:48 PM