Fwd: Viewpoint: The First Sounds of Merging Black Holes

Old February 11th 16, 05:46 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Sam Wormley[_2_]

Default Fwd: Viewpoint: The First Sounds of Merging Black Holes

Old February 11th 16, 05:55 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Martin Brown

Old February 11th 16, 06:11 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Thu, 11 Feb 2016 10:46:57 -0600, Sam Wormley
wrote:

Viewpoint: The First Sounds of Merging Black Holes -- PDF Version
http://physics.aps.org/featured-arti...ett.116.061102

It's an odd feeling- on the one hand, extremely exciting, but at the
same time completely expected and unsurprising.
Old February 11th 16, 06:19 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Sam Wormley[_2_]

wrote:

Viewpoint: The First Sounds of Merging Black Holes -- PDF Version
http://physics.aps.org/featured-arti...ett.116.061102

It's an odd feeling- on the one hand, extremely exciting, but at the
same time completely expected and unsurprising.

I agree... Moreover, it is very satisfying when the confirmation
verifies the theory and provides new measurement data.

Old February 11th 16, 06:51 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

wrote:

Viewpoint: The First Sounds of Merging Black Holes -- PDF Version
http://physics.aps.org/featured-arti...ett.116.061102

It's an odd feeling- on the one hand, extremely exciting, but at the
same time completely expected and unsurprising.

I agree... Moreover, it is very satisfying when the confirmation
verifies the theory and provides new measurement data.

What I really find most exciting is that now we have an entirely new
class of instrument (and the motivation to build more of them) that
can see beyond the optical edge of the observable universe, presumably
right back to the Big Bang. Now we're going to be able to confirm or
refine some of the most important- but uncertain- aspects of LCDM.
Combine this with our likely direct detection or production of dark
matter particles in the near future (which will refine or even
complete the Standard Model) and we are arguably on the edge of a
dramatic new and nearly complete understanding of the origin of the
Universe.
Old February 11th 16, 07:40 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
oriel36[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

You suffer from a communal type of autism where the natural ability that connect the individual to experiences of planetary motions through terrestrial sciences is lost to voodoo. It is extremely dangerous for students and the wider world as these playthings that exist inside the heads of theorists show no sign of slowing down and are even more desperate as they close themselves off in an ever-decreasing ground of history.

It is incredibly dangerous yet all the tools which make astronomy such a vibrant visual experience are still there.
Old February 11th 16, 07:57 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Thu, 11 Feb 2016 10:40:38 -0800 (PST), oriel36
wrote:

You suffer from a communal type of autism where the natural ability that connect the individual to experiences of planetary motions through terrestrial sciences is lost to voodoo. It is extremely dangerous for students and the wider world as these playthings that exist inside the heads of theorists show no sign of slowing down and are even more desperate as they close themselves off in an ever-decreasing ground of history.

We live in an amazing time. It is truly sad that your mental illness
prevents you from appreciating that.
Old February 11th 16, 08:18 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
oriel36[_2_]

wrote:

You suffer from a communal type of autism where the natural ability that connect the individual to experiences of planetary motions through terrestrial sciences is lost to voodoo. It is extremely dangerous for students and the wider world as these playthings that exist inside the heads of theorists show no sign of slowing down and are even more desperate as they close themselves off in an ever-decreasing ground of history.

We live in an amazing time. It is truly sad that your mental illness
prevents you from appreciating that.

We live in an amazing time with so much imaging and graphics with real objects and real experiences but whereas your cult survives on fanciful nonsense , genuine astronomy is full of events and happenings that occur daily and within easy reach of telescopes.

Tell me all about time travel using Newton's expression of the Equation of Time -

"Absolute time, in astronomy, is distinguished from relative, by the equation of time. For the natural days are truly unequal, though they are commonly considered as equal and used for a measure of time; astronomers correct this inequality for their more accurate deducing of the celestial motions... The necessity of which equation, for determining the times of a phenomenon, is evinced as well from the experiments of the pendulum clock, as by eclipses of the satellites of Jupiter." Principia

It is a forced autism because your own beliefs are contingent on contriving a story out of a timekeeping facility it was never designed to do anything other than create the 24 hour system and the Lat/Long system.

Einstein never predicted 'gravitational waves' and when I read his conceptions of the Universe they are so hilarious using the most dubious description of the need to keep light within the confines of the cosmos that only an insane person would go along with the spiel -

" If we ponder over the question as to how the universe, considered as a whole, is to be regarded, the first answer that suggests itself to us is surely this: As regards space (and time) the universe is infinite. There are stars everywhere, so that the density of matter, although very variable in detail, is nevertheless on the average everywhere the same. In other words: However far we might travel through space, we should find everywhere an attenuated swarm of fixed stars of approximately the same kind and density.
This view is not in harmony with the theory of Newton. The latter theory rather requires that the universe should have a kind of centre in which the density of the stars is a maximum, and that as we proceed outwards from this centre the group-density of the stars should diminish, until finally, at great distances, it is succeeded by an infinite region of emptiness. The stellar universe ought to be a finite island in the infinite ocean of space.
This conception is in itself not very satisfactory. It is still less satisfactory because it leads to the result that the light emitted by the stars and also individual stars of the stellar system are perpetually passing out into infinite space, never to return, and without ever again coming into interaction with other objects of nature. Such a finite material universe would be destined to become gradually but systematically impoverished." Einstein

Maybe you are a simpleton and find that pre-galactic ideology profound but if that is your idea of exciting then perhaps you are best left to your own devices.

Old February 11th 16, 08:25 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Paul Schlyter[_3_]

wrote:

Viewpoint: The First Sounds of Merging Black Holes -- PDF Version

http://physics.aps.org/featured-arti...evLett.116.061
102

It's an odd feeling- on the one hand, extremely exciting, but at the
same time completely expected and unsurprising.

So it's moster an engineering breakthrough. But why do so many people
call these gravitational waves "sound"?
Old February 11th 16, 09:14 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Thu, 11 Feb 2016 20:25:14 +0100, Paul Schlyter
wrote:

So it's moster an engineering breakthrough. But why do so many people
call these gravitational waves "sound"?

I would guess because there's a weak analogy between gravitational
waves and sound waves, because sound waves are a pretty accessible
concept to most people, and because the frequency of the gravitational
waves detected by LIGO lies in the audio spectrum.