Is SpaceX desperate for cash or what?

Old July 26th 11, 12:02 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Nomen Nescio

Default Is SpaceX desperate for cash or what?

http://www.spaceflightnow.com/news/n...emo/index.html

SpaceX prodded NASA to allow them to combine three demonstration
flights into two for the same amount of money. It also means they can
start delivering cargo and therefore earn money sooner. NASA has now
agreed to this 'technically' it seems.

However, I now read that SpaceX is also planning to launch two OrbComm
satellites on the upcoming COTS Demo flight and this has NASA somewhat
worried. I read into this that SpaceX is almost desperate for cash. I
also believe that Elon Musk is cutting too fine in terms of profit
margins and he's therefore continually teetering on the brink. SpaceX
has about 1000 employees and I estimate their annual costs are about
$75 million a year, which is pretty steep if you have hardly any
income. Musk also underestimated the reaction from rivals and assumed
that offering ultra-low cost launches would automatically make him
NASA's prime contractor.

I hope everything works out for him and SpaceX, though. It would be a
huge setback for commercial space if they folded.

Old July 26th 11, 02:22 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Bob Haller

On Jul 26, 7:02*am, Nomen Nescio wrote:
[...]

such issues are common with a start up company.
Old July 26th 11, 06:42 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Philip[_3_]

Nomen Nescio wrote:
[...]

... and for the new NASA plan. SpaceX is the poster child cited most by
Bolden when he states that NASA manned spaceflight is not dead.