Are astronomy gathering safe for children?

Old January 29th 04, 02:29 PM
Doogie Hoosier

Default Are astronomy gathering safe for children?

Davoud wrote in message ...
ULB:
Wow, nice troll 71 threads last time I checked. By that comment I
think we are finally wise to "one who waits under a bridge). It was
fun though.

Let's see. It brought on lefties vs righties (politics). Guns (good
subject). Pedaphiles, trolls(ing), internet scrutiny (net nanny),
star parties, pornography, perverts, APOD, and umm, I can't remember
oh yeah amateur astronomy. Sweet.

This thread has left me unsatisfied. There has been no mention
whatsoever as to whether the web page in question was created on a Mac
or a Windoze box, nor whether it was served from Windoze or Unix.

Davoud -- Leftist, and that's putting it mildly, but bored by politics;
owner of six Macs (but also one Windoze box), a Questar (the 'scope for
elitist leftists), a Meade (proletarian 'scope), but not into guns (but
I don't care if you are) or porn (ditto), and not a paedophile.

We could start another thread on which is better, "knob-polishing" or
"polishing nobs."

Old January 29th 04, 03:05 PM
CG

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 10:10:15 +0000, Lizzy Taylor
wrote:

CG wrote:
On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 00:30:59 +0000, Steve Taylor
wrote:

CG wrote:

or pastor to see the contents

My wife points out OUR pastor has a liquor licence !
And incidentally she dug down to look at the original link, AND we are
still married.

Steve

So you expose your wife to filth? I thank my heavenly father I don't know
you! Filth Monger Pervert!
Clay

Clay,

I am a person in my own right, with my own views and I make my own
choices. My husband does not dictate what I may and may not look at on
the internet. I pity your wife. Personally I think you are demeaning
and degrading her by not allowing her to make her own judgements on what
exists out there - both in the real world and in cyber space.

Lizzy Taylor

PS I think you''d find that most pastors have a much better idea of what
really happens in life than you do.

Please understand that what works for you may not work in all
relationships. I thought amateur astronomy might be an activity for the
whole family, one safe for my wife and kids, well despite some of the posts
I still believe it to be the case.
My wife has willingly submitted as she should to my being the head of the
household.It was her choice. Maybe that wouldn't be your's maybe you just
haven't been offered the choice, I don't know.
This all started because I was concerned about a web site linked to from
this group that clearly degrades women, causes them to be thought of as
objects of male lust, and suggested wanting a woman was the same as wanting
a new telescope.
Clay

Old January 29th 04, 03:08 PM
CG

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 07:50:43 GMT, "Kilolani"
wrote:

"CG" wrote in message
.. .

It wasn't spam. It was a link to a disgusting web site. Pictures of a
female model posed with a Meade telescope. It was some ones sick idea of
sexy I expect. What it was was a picture that promoted every obscene male
fantasy of a lady along with a telescope making it I guess astronomy
related.
There was a single post in objection until someone came along later and
called the porno mongers out on their game. No one agreed with the poster
(though a google search of his posting name does suggest why he isn't

taken
seriously) they thought he was being funny and basically defended the
posting of porno!
Clay

Dear Shawn (oops, I mean Clay... yeah, that's it, Clay) *nudge nudge* *wink
wink*

Since it was your "first" time on s.a.a. let me give you a quarter to buy a
clue. Next time a link says (**Adults only**), don't let your children click
on it... in fact (unless you like pornograpy), don't click on it yourself.

*duh*

Dear Kilolani,

I was questioning weather the link was appropriate at all, a warning is
pointless and filth is just a click away.

Clay

Old January 29th 04, 03:10 PM
CG

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 15:29:17 -0600, David Knisely wrote:

Hi there. You posted:

I'm still amazed that No one objected to the post at the time.
Clay

There is a good reason for this. Most likely, the originator of the posting
is doing this to merely gather attention for himself at the expense of others.
We call these people "trolls", as they troll for responses which will let
them get their jollys. A common (and effective) method for dealing with
trolls is to absolutely ignore what they post. If followed rigidly, the troll
doesn't get the response he so greatly desires (ie: objections to his posting)
and eventually goes away for good. If people keep feeding these trolls, they
will just keep putting up their garbage over and over again. Filtering with
the newsreaders is also somewhat effective, although with some trolls who
change their on-screen names, it can be less effective. As for Astronomy in
general, please do not confuse some of the stuff found on USENET for the real
amateur astronomy community. Generally, they are civil, helpful, and a lot of
fun to be around (also safe for children). Amateur Astronomy is a wonderful
hobby, so find your nearest club and see how to get involved on a face-to-face
basis. Clear skies to you.

David

Thanks for your post I expect you are correct. It's not amateur astronomy
that's at faul. I've had nothing but good experiences from the true
amateurs I've met.

Clay