Same reason for the ISS's existence

Old October 27th 05, 05:18 AM
Rich

Default Same reason for the ISS's existence

General Motors Corp. is using Russian nuclear scientists put out of
work by the end of the Cold War to help develop new automotive
technologies, the world's largest automaker said.

A new research and design center is planned for Moscow which will
focus on the development of batteries, fuel cells, hybrid and
electronic controls.

"The government encourages US companies to do business there and to
fully utilize the scientific talents there," GM spokeswoman Angele
Shaw told AFP. "They have a vast talent pool."

A number of the scientists involved in the project had been working on
military and nuclear arms programs for the former Soviet Union.

GM is looking to take advantage of US and European Union programs that
provide financial incentives to Russian scientists to develop peaceful
projects, including automobile propulsion systems.

The US Initiatives for Proliferation Prevention Programs provides
grants and other funding from the government for companies to utilize
Russia's vast scientific network for peaceful purposes, while also
preventing Russian nuclear experts from being lured by rouge regimes.

GM says its initial project at the Moscow center will encompass
emissions control catalyst development, lightweight metal processing,
hydrogen storage for fuel cell applications and engine control
technology.

"About three years ago we began to explore the possibility of
conducting research in the former Soviet Union," Alan Taub, executive
director of science at GM's research and development laboratories said
in a statement.

"In a very short time, working with universities, academies and
scientific institutes, we saw world class results in key
technologies."

GM planted its roots in Russia in 2002, when it began working with
Moscow State University and the St Petersburg State Institute of
Information Technology and Optics.

© 2005 AFP
Old October 27th 05, 04:14 PM
Rhino

"Rich" wrote in message
[...]

"Rouge regimes"? Something tells me they meant to say ROGUE regimes, like
North Korea.....

Old October 27th 05, 04:28 PM
Phil Wheeler

Rhino wrote:
"Rich" wrote in message

[...]

Well, they are called "Reds" :-)
Old October 27th 05, 09:13 PM
Paul Winalski

On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 11:14:11 -0400, "Rhino"
wrote:

The US Initiatives for Proliferation Prevention Programs provides
grants and other funding from the government for companies to utilize
Russia's vast scientific network for peaceful purposes, while also
preventing Russian nuclear experts from being lured by rouge regimes.

"Rouge regimes"? Something tells me they meant to say ROGUE regimes, like
North Korea.....

I dunno... Didn't I hear rumors that Kim Jong Il or his dad was a
transvestite?

-Paul W.
----------
Remove 'Z' to reply by email.
Old October 28th 05, 01:57 AM
Chuck Taylor

while also
preventing Russian nuclear experts from being lured by rouge regimes.

"Rouge regimes"? Something tells me they meant to say ROGUE regimes, like
North Korea.....

ROUGE regimes are those who polish and figure their own
optics. So if Synta moved their management to North Korea,
they would be a rogue rouge regime.

Clear Skies

Chuck Taylor
Do you observe the moon? If so, try
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lunar-observing/

If you enjoy optics, try
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ATM_Optics_Software/

Old October 28th 05, 03:00 AM
Jan Owen

"Chuck Taylor" wrote in message
while also
preventing Russian nuclear experts from being lured by rouge regimes.

"Rouge regimes"? Something tells me they meant to say ROGUE regimes,

like
North Korea.....

ROUGE regimes are those who polish and figure their own
optics. So if Synta moved their management to North Korea,
they would be a rogue rouge regime.

Clear Skies

Chuck Taylor

Well, while I'm not much convinced of it's (ISS) worth, at least the
regional ethnic/religious lunatics will find it rather daunting to get a
car bomb or suicide bomber up there to take it OUT...

--
Jan Owen

To reach me directly, remove the Z, if one appears in my e-mail address...
Latitude: 33.6
Longitude: -112.3