CCD Cleaning

Old April 2nd 04, 01:00 AM
Ian Stirling

Default CCD Cleaning

Mick wrote:
I have a couple of dust specks on my CCD/ I can't see them visually but they do
show up on screen.

Why do you think they are dust specks, and not cold pixels?
Old April 3rd 04, 02:26 AM
Ian Stirling

Mick wrote:
Ian Stirling wrote:
Mick wrote:
I have a couple of dust specks on my CCD/ I can't see them visually but they
do
show up on screen.

Why do you think they are dust specks, and not cold pixels?

A few reasons ...

1 .... Dead pixels are pixel sized which are tiny. Dust specks are huge by
comparison
2 .... If I blow gently across the CCD one may move or even (if I'm lucky)
disappear.
3 .... I'm not an idiot

Ok, fine, some are
Have you tried the standards, breath on the CCD, and blow with a can
of compressed air across the CCD?
Old April 3rd 04, 09:13 AM
Mark Crossley

I've cleaned a couple, first blow with canned air, if that doesn't shift it
then distilled water on a (well rinsed) cotton bud (gentle).

Usually the glass over CCDs is plain uncoated glass, so the real risk is
scratching rather than removing any coating.

They can be little bu££ers though, often I find that sweeping them to one
side rather than trying to pick them off works best.

Keep trying, my first attempt added about 10x as many as I was trying to
remove! Got there in the end though.

Mark

"Mick" wrote in message
I have a couple of dust specks on my CCD/ I can't see them visually but

they do
show up on screen.

What is the best way to clean them off? (Oily rag poised)

Many Thanks

Old April 6th 04, 07:45 PM
Ian Stirling

Mick wrote:
Ian Stirling wrote:

Have you tried the standards, breath on the CCD, and blow with a can
of compressed air across the CCD?

Yes ... I can shift everything except one particular little swine.

I've found that washing hands several times with fairy liquid, followed
by wiping a soapy finger across the sensor, then cleaning off with
distilled water works well.
YMMV.
Old April 6th 04, 07:46 PM
Ian Stirling

Ian Stirling wrote:
Mick wrote:
Ian Stirling wrote:

Have you tried the standards, breath on the CCD, and blow with a can
of compressed air across the CCD?

Yes ... I can shift everything except one particular little swine.

I've found that washing hands several times with fairy liquid, followed

Which is aa UK brand of hand dishwashing liquid.

Old April 6th 04, 08:34 PM
George Dingwall

Hi There,

You don't say which camera you have, but the link below gives the
procedure for a Fuji S1 Pro. Whilst the detail might not be helpful,
it does give details of a couple of products for cleaning CCD sensors.
A special cleaning swab and suitable cleaning fluid.

http://www.fujifilm.co.uk/technical/..._clean_ccd.pdf

Hope this helps.

On Thu, 01 Apr 2004 18:50:33 GMT, Mick wrote:

I have a couple of dust specks on my CCD/ I can't see them visually but they do
show up on screen.

What is the best way to clean them off? (Oily rag poised)

Many Thanks

Bye for now.

George Dingwall,
Invergordon, Scotland
Old April 9th 04, 04:28 AM
Jeff Bryant

Mick wrote:

I have a couple of dust specks on my CCD/ I can't see them visually but they do
show up on screen.

What is the best way to clean them off? (Oily rag poised)

Many Thanks

I haven't seen anyone suggest it, but for really pesky dust you can
always just remove it in post-processing by doing flat fielding. I've
done this using Mathematica on some of my own CCD images, but I know its
done commonly in most CCD image processing software and its fairly
standard for photometry work.

http://library.wolfram.com/howtos/reduce/

-Jeff