Name of the huge Orion nebulosity

Old March 15th 04, 02:51 PM
Goete

Default Name of the huge Orion nebulosity

I have problem to find the proper scientific name of the huge
Ha-nebulosity above a line connecting the stars Betegeuse and
Bellatrix, in Orion.

Any suggestions?

Do check the newest entry at http://user.tninet.se/~sdt522w/

Enjoy
Goete
Old March 15th 04, 08:54 PM
Roland Roberts

Old March 17th 04, 06:37 AM
Goete

Are you referring to Barnard's Loop?

roland

Hello Roland!

I was under the impression that Barnardīs Loop is just the western and
southern part, evenly thick nebulosity surrounding the central part of
Orion.

The northern, huge circular area, I didnīt know was included here.

Regards
Goete
Old March 17th 04, 11:12 AM
Goete

Correction:

I was under the impression that Barnardīs Loop is just the EASTERN and

Old March 18th 04, 02:18 AM
Roland Roberts

Old March 18th 04, 07:38 AM
Goete

OK Roland!

Orion's head. I like that!

Regards
Goete
Old March 18th 04, 12:00 PM
Rob Pollard

Its called the Great Orion Molecular Cloud.

--
Regards
Rob Pollard

My Astro CCD page is:
http://www.robapol.demon.co.uk

Old March 18th 04, 05:38 PM
Adriano

Sharples 2-264

http://www.edmar-co.com/adriano/

Old March 19th 04, 04:33 AM
Frank Hofmann

Goete wrote:

I have problem to find the proper scientific name of the huge
Ha-nebulosity above a line connecting the stars Betegeuse and
Bellatrix, in Orion.

Any suggestions?

Hi Goete,

it's in Sharpless' Catalogue of emission nebulae, I think the
number is Sh2-246. See:

http://www.messier45.com/cgi-bin/dsd...20IN% 20ORION

Bye,
FrankH.

--
Email: You can use hofmann(at)physik.uni-wuerzburg.de; since this address
gets mostly spam due to its long time of existance, it may take some time