How to bring the HST back to Earth

Old February 22nd 04, 04:23 PM
Roman Svihorik

Default How to bring the HST back to Earth

Hello,
we can read in the article Hubble in Limbo (S&T, March 2004, p. 24):
"NASA has already determined that the massive telescope cannot be
brought back to Earth safely in the shuttle's cargo bay, as was once
envisioned".
I just wonder why is it so. The costs are not the point apparently - a
$300 million one purpose robot development has begun.
Is it because of Hubble's mass and expected difficulties during landing?

Regards
Roman Svihorik

Old February 22nd 04, 07:58 PM
Chris L Peterson

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 17:23:00 +0100, Roman Svihorik wrote:

Hello,
we can read in the article Hubble in Limbo (S&T, March 2004, p. 24):
"NASA has already determined that the massive telescope cannot be
brought back to Earth safely in the shuttle's cargo bay, as was once
envisioned".
I just wonder why is it so. The costs are not the point apparently - a
$300 million one purpose robot development has begun.
Is it because of Hubble's mass and expected difficulties during landing?

It's because there is no point. Economically, it makes the most sense to execute
a controlled re-entry, or if that can't be done safely, to push it into a higher
orbit. The money that would be required to return in safely (just for
sentimental reasons) is far better spent elsewhere.

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com

Old February 23rd 04, 05:38 PM
Del Johnson

Sending people to Mars is pointless. We should either keep Hubble going or
put up a new optical/UV space telescope.

Del Johnson

Old February 23rd 04, 06:17 PM
Chris L Peterson

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 09:38:24 -0800, "Del Johnson" delastro@{right star in
Orion's belt}.sdsu.edu wrote:

Sending people to Mars is pointless. We should either keep Hubble going or
put up a new optical/UV space telescope.

I'd support both, but if that isn't an option (and it seems unlikely) I couldn't
agree more. Highest priority should be Hubble and a new space telescope,
followed by various robotic exploration programs, and finally manned space
flight if the political will and money are there.

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com
Old February 23rd 04, 07:27 PM
lal_truckee

Roman Svihorik wrote:

Hello,
we can read in the article Hubble in Limbo (S&T, March 2004, p. 24):
"NASA has already determined that the massive telescope cannot be
brought back to Earth safely in the shuttle's cargo bay, as was once
envisioned".
I just wonder why is it so. The costs are not the point apparently - a
$300 million one purpose robot development has begun.
Is it because of Hubble's mass and expected difficulties during landing?

Excess strain on the tiles ...
NASA is running scared right now.

It is exceedingly stupid to not do a refurbish and boost it to a higher
orbit. Or if they can't refurbish, just boost it, so it's still there if
we ever want it for something.
Old February 23rd 04, 09:44 PM

Chris L Peterson wrote:

Economically, it makes the most sense to execute a controlled
re-entry,

The HST has no motor. Supposedly the last expected re-supply mission
was to install a motor for this purpose.

The money that would be required to return in safely (just for
sentimental reasons) is far better spent elsewhere.

0.3 gigabucks to destroy one(1) LEO satellite is typical for NASA.
What happens if the robot fails on launch? Or fails en route? Or
just plain fails? Does NASA get to spend another 300 megabucks for
the studies to explain the failure and maybe twice the amount in a
second attempt? ("Members of congress, our latest failure shows just
what happens when you give us an insufficient amount of money. If we
had more money to spend, we could make 10x the number of viewgraphs we
normally do, which means that mission success would be a sure thing!")

http://heasarc.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/he...ons/p78-1.html
http://www.astronautix.com/lvs/asat.htm

Seems a bit more reasonable to me. Even better, important sacred
traditions are upheld: at the time of its destruction, P78-1 was also
a completely functional, science-returning satellite as well.