Math is no longer fun

Old May 6th 04, 04:33 PM
Bob Carlson

Default Math is no longer fun

I'm sorry, but all the fun has been taken out of math. After all is
said and done, everything comes down to one set of answers. It's
either 0 or 1 and in the transition from 0 to 1 (or 1 to 0), the
answer is sqrt(-1). Yes, use your imagination. And, the mirror image
of this solution is either 0 or -1. Take your pick, what is your
opinion of where we are within the universe?

Side note: the fibonacci sequence starting with 0 and 1 rules!

This applies to everything from the structure of the universe to
subatomic interaction. All the fluff in between is just that...
fluff, which serves no purpose except to exercise a few brain cells
and entertain the individual underneath those cells.

The universe is shaped like a toroid (donut or doughnut) with a hole
that approaches 0 (simple). We are moving within this donut into and
out of the hole every 100 billion years or so, probably longer,
doesn't matter. As we approach the hole we speed up. At the center of
the hole, size 0, big bang. We shoot out the other end of the hole,
expanding universe, all fresh and new!

We "see" black holes but they're just our donut's hole viewed along
different planes of our dount's surface. Like being in a hall of
mirrors. Looks like a bunch of black holes in there, but it's just
our donut's hole.

Funny thing is, that experiment where you put the iron filings on a
piece of paper with a horseshoe magnet under it was the simple answer.
A picture of the universe and the atom all in one. If you recall, the
image was a cross-section of a donut.

I know this is all so simplified without the pages of formulas and
proofs. I really don't need a proof to accept simple things.

Math, astrophysics, and quantum mechanics used to be fun. Time to
move on... maybe a long hike in the woods.
Old May 6th 04, 04:50 PM
Dave

Math, astrophysics, and quantum mechanics used to be fun. Time to
move on... maybe a long hike in the woods.

Maybe now you've sorted that out, you could go on to solve the problems of
abnormal psychology. There are still many unresolved issues there.

DaveL

Old May 6th 04, 08:44 PM
DT

Bob Carlson wrote
Math, astrophysics, and quantum mechanics used to be fun. Time to move
on... maybe a long hike in the woods.

A hike is like math, it just gets you back to where you started.
The secret of happiness is to make something. To fight entropy.
A clay pot, a clock, a child, the more difficult the better, but it must
be a tangible physical thing, and it must be the best you can do.
Now get back on that horse!
Denis
--
DT
Replace nospam with the antithesis of hills
Old May 7th 04, 02:29 PM
Bob Carlson

"Dave" wrote in message ...
Maybe now you've sorted that out, you could go on to solve the problems of
abnormal psychology. There are still many unresolved issues there.
DaveL

Dave, strange thing, the hikes in the woods alone, and being with a
friendly group of people pursuing similar interests smooths out a lot
of bumps in life. To me, and I know this sounds trite, but panic,
anxiety, mood disorders, suicide and substance related disorders
probably needs a lot of time with friendly-others in a similar
circumstance to discuss and relate, followed by a bit of down time for
reflection.

No clue or experience in this, but the above would feel right for me.